GPS Data Still Embedded in Video when OFF?

mealto

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The GPS can be OFF or prevent speed or location from being displayed in the recorded video file. Has the firmware been updated so that it is also not logged into the actual file? The idea is to say, only use GPS for time sync but do not want it to store data either on-screen or within meta data of video file. Pertaining to this post from Viofo: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/purchase-a119-advice.28655/page-2#post-332237

The GPS can be OFF or prevent speed or location from being displayed in the recorded video file. Has the firmware been updated so that it is also not logged into the actual file? The idea is to say, only use GPS for time sync but do not want it to store data either on-screen or within meta data of video file. Pertaining to this post from Viofo: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/purchase-a119-advice.28655/page-2#post-332237
You can turn off GPS information stamps in the settings if you do not want to store data:
1713033256235.png

So if GPS Info Stamp is off, it means GPS info will not display in the footage. But can GPS info still be pulled up using another software? Want to test using GPS just to sync clock and not log any data anywhere. Thanks.

@VIOFO-Support

So if GPS Info Stamp is off, it means GPS info will not display in the footage. But can GPS info still be pulled up using another software? Want to test using GPS just to sync clock and not log any data anywhere. Thanks.

@VIOFO-Support
Yes, the GPS data can be pulled up using other software since GPS data has been created while the GPS is on.

Might I suggest a feature where GPS can be used to sync time but never tagged into any video files. This is in addition to not stamping it in the video. Hope that helps. @VIOFO-Support

Might I suggest a feature where GPS can be used to sync time but never tagged into any video files. This is in addition to not stamping it in the video.
While you're waiting for this feature to be implemented would something like this work for you?
Just sync the time with the APP if it gets off.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 11.27.53 PM.png

Reactions: gse
But what should I do if I’m old and sick and constantly forget about time synchronization through the application?:unsure:
And also for those people who never log into the application? They installed the DVR, connected it and it works.
For this reason, I have never used DVRs without GPS and without time synchronization. ;)

While you're waiting for this feature to be implemented would something like this work for you?

View attachment 71898
I see. Does this mean once the clock slowly becomes inaccurate, we would have to connect to the units Wifi and sync time manually? Also, would this method still change daylight savings time?

I think mealto would like an option 'Embed GPS Data' which can be turned off, so the GPS data is not hidden in a metadata track in the video. This might also be necessary for some countries with data privacy rules. @VIOFO-Support

I see. Does this mean once the clock slowly becomes inaccurate, we would have to connect to the units Wifi and sync time manually? Also, would this method still change daylight savings time?
Yes.

Might I suggest a feature where GPS can be used to sync time but never tagged into any video files. This is in addition to not stamping it in the video. Hope that helps. @VIOFO-Support
You can quite easily remove the GPS data from a video file, most editors will not save it.
If you haven't recorded it then you can never put it back in the event that it would be useful!

I think mealto would like an option 'Embed GPS Data' which can be turned off, so the GPS data is not hidden in a metadata track in the video. This might also be necessary for some countries with data privacy rules. @VIOFO-Support
This.

Back