Unit Gets Warm

mealto

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So just had a chance to update FW for both front and rear camera. Did some testing of various settings and noticed the main unit gets fairly warm. I know the temps are probably within specs but kind of glad I did not go for the Pro version as that seems to get even hotter. Giving up 4K but getting a somewhat cooler unit is the way to go for now? Guess there isn't really much you can do given 4K is much more demanding in the same case. Savings for using 2K is also significant. Now to find a way to install the rear camera cable neatly without breaking any clips in the trim!

So just had a chance to update FW for both front and rear camera. Did some testing of various settings and noticed the main unit gets fairly warm. I know the temps are probably within specs but kind of glad I did not go for the Pro version as that seems to get even hotter. Giving up 4K but getting a somewhat cooler unit is the way to go for now? Guess there isn't really much you can do given 4K is much more demanding in the same case. Savings for using 2K is also significant. Now to find a way to install the rear camera cable neatly without breaking any clips in the trim!
The first question that came to my mind when choosing a camera a few years ago was the issue of heat. For this reason, A129, which records in FHD, and A129 Pro, which records in UHD, were released. So I thought of taking my own precautions by purchasing the a129 pro and choosing QHD or FHD resolution.
After some testing, of course it gets hot as a result of 4k recording, but I did not experience any problems.

In conclusion, my hesitation is this; 4K recording resistant camera can help you with lower resolution less heating and safer. and you will also observe its maximum performance.

I think there is a balance somewhere in between. You can certainly choose a lower resolution on a 4K camera but then why pay the higher price. There is a significant jump in price from the A229 Plus to the A229 Pro. But as I said, these temps are probably ok for both the 2K and 4K cameras. Personal preference at this point.

Since the topic is heated, you can consider the alternative advice I have created as a suggestion or for your own benefit.
Operating temperatures are as they should be at maximum performance.
I just wanted to share my experience in response to your curiosity or concern and that I did not encounter any problems as a result.
In short, if you look at it not based on price, but on performance and heat, you will not push the limits when you use the one with higher capacity at lower performance.

All dashcams get hot.
My 2K Mini 2 worked flawlessly during hot summer last year in low bit-rate parking mode, parked under direct Sun for 8 hrs / 5 day a week.
Often it was so hot, that I couldn’t hold it longer than few seconds, but it never quit working!

A229 Pro runs whopping 28℉ (16℃) hotter compere to A229 Plus.
Based on this fact, I also got the A229 Plus 2CH, for added reliability.
And 2K video quality is amazing on Mini 2, day and night.
Looking at many sample videos, I would prefer Mini2 video quality over many if not all 4k dashcams, especially at night.
A229 Plus eventually should be similar to Mini2 quality, after all, it uses the exact same hardware for each channel as Mini 2.

Running 4K dash cam in lower than native resolution, say 2K is forced workaround with poor video quality compere to original 2K DVR.

Summer is coming, and both 229s will be tested in real world hot conditions.

Looking at many sample videos, I would prefer Mini2 video quality over many if not all 4k dashcams, especially at night.
I have a Mini 2 and an A229 Pro. The video quality at night on the Mini 2 is very good,
but the video quality at night on the A229 Pro with the latest firmware is not much worse.
But the A229 Plus is far behind both of them in terms of video quality at night.
I hope over time Viofo will raise the night video quality of the A229 Plus to the Mini 2 level.

A229 Plus is far behind both of them in terms of video quality at night.
Correct.
Why is no one else talking about this except me, and Karag?
A229 Plus night time HDR is non functional / unacceptable.
It was released to the public 6 months ago, and we still don’t have an acceptable firmware.
For shame.
Upcoming accessories like the OBD2 power cable, waterproof rear camera, telephoto remote camera, 2-Button Bluetooth remote, OTA Updates, box version, are almost meaningless if they can’t get the basics right, (night time HDR performance).

Yes to hot cameras, and all of them, from your little dash / action camera to really expensive cinematic cameras.
The action side, well gopro and others seen thermal shut downs for many many revisions of their cameras, same with other brands.

I cant say i recall any dashcams overheating in normal operation, but i have felt that they get very hot for sure
My car have no aircon, and i have never seen a thermal shut down

Correct.
It was released to the public 6 months ago, and we still don’t have an acceptable firmware.
For shame.
Upcoming accessories like the OBD2 power cable, waterproof rear camera, telephoto remote camera, 2-Button Bluetooth remote, OTA Updates, box version, are almost meaningless if they can’t get the basics right, (night time HDR performance).
Thanks to all of your testing, I am hoping the firmware developers just hasn't gotten around to getting the A229 Plus to the best night quality yet. Now that the Pro has better night quality, let's hope we can also get better night quality with the plus.

Thanks to all of your testing, I am hoping the firmware developers just hasn't gotten around to getting the A229 Plus to the best night quality yet. Now that the Pro has better night quality, let's hope we can also get better night quality with the plus.
A229 Plus & A119 Mini 2 have the same Novatek 96580 processor, and IMX675 image sensor.
You would think they would copy & paste the HDR firmware tuning 6 months ago, but obviously there is a problem.

A229 Plus & A119 Mini 2 have the same Novatek 96580 processor, and IMX675 image sensor.
You would think they would copy & paste the HDR firmware tuning 6 months ago, but obviously there is a problem.

i'd like to ask why is first video shaky. It looks like the cam is struggling to focus

i'd like to ask why is first video shaky. It looks like the cam is struggling to focus
A hand held test, to avoid any windshield imperfections, I think.
Or maybe he didn't want to have to mount all the cameras in the car at the same time for the comparison.

A tripod might have been good, but being able to observe the motion blur from the shaking is interesting.

Here is hoping Viofo can indeed bring the better night time quality from the Mini 2 to the A229 Plus.

To my eye it looks like the A229 Plus is exposing a little brighter, both the sign and the world itself. The A229 Plus makes it easier to see what's going on on the road ahead of the vehicle.

I admit I haven't followed the A229 Plus HDR issues closely. What, exactly, makes the HDR non functional and unacceptable? Exposure differences aside and focusing on the dynamic range in particular, does it struggle capturing license plates in ways that the A119 Mini 2 is significant better able to do in certain instances?

Correct.
For shame.
according to Amazon description they using some special HDR technology : DOL-HDR Superb Night Vision 2.0】Night vision effect, especially the ability to clearly capture license plate numbers in low light, has been highly optimized in VIOFO on-dash camera A119 Mini 2. Combing STARVIS 2 IMX675 image sensor, a 7-Glass F1.6 large aperture lens with DOL-HDR tech
A229 plus has dual channel HDR maybe there's the issue

Both videos are shaky, they were filmed simultaneously.
My arms get tired holding up the test rig;

What, exactly, makes the HDR non functional and unacceptable? Exposure differences aside and focusing on the dynamic range in particular, does it struggle capturing license plates in ways that the A119 Mini 2 is significant better able to do in certain instances?
The reason I say the A229 Plus’ night time HDR is non-functional / unacceptable is because it has the same Novatek 96580 processor, and IMX675 image sensor as the A119 Mini 2, and I expect night time HDR performance to be just as effective or better.
Based on my comparison testing the A229 Plus’ night time HDR performance is much worse.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a229-plus-test-review-pp.49781/post-614000
Here’s my useless garage test that Bill hates;

A229 Plus .png
A119 Mini 2 .png

Here's some real world license plate capture comparisons.
Also take note of the illuminates signs in the background;

1 .png
2 .png
3 .png
4 .png
5 .png
6 .png
7 .png
8 .png

Thank you for putting that all together like that. That’s very helpful. Yeah it does indeed look like the HDR does indeed need more optimization and that it’s not solely exposure differences.
I’ve been complaining about the A229 Plus’ HDR since September 2023.
But not too loudly because I wanted Viofo to focus on fixing the A229 Pro’s HDR first.
Even the A229 Pro’s night time HDR performance is still only 90%-95% as effective as the A139 Pro.
But Viofo is heckbent on having an overall brighter image to appease the average consumer, even at the cost of degrading HDR effectiveness.

In the first month of testing Bill sent me two different firmwares to test.
One was slightly brighter, one was slightly darker, (overall image).
The darker firmware had better HDR performance for plate reading.
He told me all other testers preferred the brighter firmware.
This is when he told me my “garage testing” is not a proper way to test these cameras, and I need to get driving test footage.
Of course I agree with him.
I do my garage testing to satisfy my own curiosity, and stopped posting so much of it, in favor of driving test footage.
But wasting gasoline on new firmware versions just to find out there’s no improvement in image quality gets old real fast, (just ask rcg530). lol

Ever since then I don’t start testing daytime image quality until I have fully tested night time image quality.
Even the cheapest knockoff counterfeit camera is going to be good enough to provide usable evidence during daytime.
Night time image quality is the most important thing to fix first in my opinion.
Sorry for the rant, and going off topic.

Thank you for putting that all together like that. That’s very helpful. Yeah it does indeed look like the HDR does indeed need more optimization and that it’s not solely exposure differences.
I think many people do prefer the brighter exposure of the A229 Plus.

The over exposed plates and signs are probably a consequence of the brighter exposure, but is PP's test a realistic situation for most people?

The "useless garage test that Bill hates" is not a normal driving situation and being able to read the over exposed illuminated signs is not very important.
The over exposed license plates on the road are clearly a problem, but are other people experiencing the same?
I don't have an A229 Plus to check, but I suspect it would be fine in my car, I don't have PP's headlamps!
What are other people's experiences with the A229 Plus? I'm not seeing a lot of complaints about the HDR in the A229 Plus sub-forum...

It would be good if the HDR could deal with all lighting conditions, but there are always tradeoffs to make.

Back