Recommended Resolution, Bitrate and HDR

mealto

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So what is the recommendation for bitrate and HDR when running 2K? Testing out 2K, 30fps + HDR. Wonder if disabling HDR and going with 60 fps is better at capturing license plates? Anyone else using Auto HDR timer? If so, what does this function do exactly.

what is the recommendation for bitrate and HDR
The recommended Bitrate & HDR settings are different for every user / application.
Film your own test footage, and compare with your own eyeballs.

Anyone else using Auto HDR timer?
Just between me, and you I don’t trust the Auto HDR Timer.
I use HDR On/Off.

Here’s an example of 2K30fps vs. 2K60fps on an A119 Mini 2;
There’s one important difference between these two clips.
Let’s see if you can notice it, (it’s not the firmware).

Here’s a “secret” link to playlists of all the test footage from every dash cam I’ve ever tested since 2020;

So what is the recommendation for bitrate and HDR when running 2K? Testing out 2K, 30fps + HDR. Wonder if disabling HDR and going with 60 fps is better at capturing license plates? Anyone else using Auto HDR timer? If so, what does this function do exactly.
With the A229 Pro i use the hdr on with the clock set to turn on hdr at dusk and off when the sun rises.

I leave hdr off during the day as it can create shadow images in certain light conditions.

Let’s see if you can notice it, (it’s not the firmware).

Here’s a “secret” link to playlists of all the test footage from every dash cam I’ve ever tested since 2020;
Looks like the 30FPS has HDR enabled as the entire scene is more "muted". Was that it?

If that was correct, I still think HDR version looks very good. Only when you compare it side-by-side with the 60FPS can you really see the difference.

Incorrect.
When HDR is enabled it’s displayed in the text overlay next to the GPS coordinates.
Go fish. lol

Besides the change in
I understand you’re not a fan of Go Fish.
How about a game of I Spy?
Besides the change in season, given the markings on the road to indicate that you are in the same spot (along with your GPS coordinates) the 2024 image looks like it came from a wider FOV? Why was there such a big change in Firmware versions?

Besides the change in

Besides the change in season, given the markings on the road to indicate that you are in the same spot (along with your GPS coordinates) the 2024 image looks like it came from a wider FOV? Why was there such a big change in Firmware versions?
This information can be found here:

wider FOV

The A119 Mini 2 with the narrow FOV was the 1st batch that was sold to the public from May 2023 to July 2023.
In July 2023 Viofo upgrade the lens due to a de-focusing issue when exposed to high temperatures for prolonged time.
The “upgraded” lens has a wider FOV.
99° FOV Original Lens May 2023 - July 2023
114° FOV Upgraded Lens July 2023 - Current

A119 Mini 2 Original Lens .png
A119 Mini 2 Upgraded Lens .png

Ever since then I measure the horizontal FOV of all dash cams I test;

Back