A229 Plus w/ CPL Glare/Reflection?

aldksgo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

Recently purchased my A229 Plus w/ CPL installed. Still noticing very noticeable glare/reflection in viewing my footage. Super crisp reflection of my dashboard.

Are there any suggestions on how I could go about reducing this on playback? It's very noticeable on the front, manageable on the rear.

Mark

TIA

Last edited:
That CPL is not adjusted correctly.
Place a piece of white paper on the centre of the dash, open the app live view, rotate the CPL until the reflection of the white paper is minimised.

You will never completely remove reflections, but that is not close to correctly positioned.

You also have a rainbow colours effect, which will be from ceramic windscreen tint causing polarisation effects that interact with the CPL. Not much can be done about that other than to remove the tint or remove the CPL.

That CPL is not adjusted correctly.
Place a piece of white paper on the centre of the dash, open the app live view, rotate the CPL until the reflection of the white paper is minimised.

You will never completely remove reflections, but that is not close to correctly positioned.

You also have a rainbow colours effect, which will be from ceramic windscreen tint causing polarisation effects that interact with the CPL. Not much can be done about that other than to remove the tint or remove the CPL.
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for that! Wasn't sure there was an adjustment that needed to be done for the CPL. Just read to snap it on and good to go.

Figures as much, as the reflection is quite sharp and noticeable, looking almost like my first tests without the CPL at all.

Good to know for the ceramic tint and the colouring. It's a clear ceramic tint just for the heat reduction without any real visual changes to my eyes, but naturally will show different for the dash I guess.

Appreciate it.

Just read to snap it on and good to go.
It should say to align the white marks, where did you read to just snap it on? (So that Viofo can correct it...)

The white marks are not always perfectly aligned, so it is worth doing a visual alignment, but they do give you a good starting point.

Good to know for the ceramic tint and the colouring. It's a clear ceramic tint just for the heat reduction without any real visual changes to my eyes, but naturally will show different for the dash I guess.
You will see the same with your eyes if you wear polarised driving glasses. I've read that clear tint should not be too bad, but yours appears to be one of the worse ones posted here. Apparently all ceramic tints have the same issue to some extent.
It doesn't really affect the quality of the dashcam recordings as far as evidence is concerned, not so good for movie making.

aldksgo,
Why not see if there's a dash mat to suit your vehicle?

Immediately cuts down on reflections at low cost.

If none available, then ask "The Missus" to make one up.
Dark Grey or Black is best.

Hi all,

Recently purchased my A229 Plus w/ CPL installed. Still noticing very noticeable glare/reflection in viewing my footage. Super crisp reflection of my dashboard.

Are there any suggestions on how I could go about reducing this on playback? It's very noticeable on the front, manageable on the rear.

Mark

TIA
I see that there is window film on the windshield. This means more reflection than a standard clear windshield.
Meanwhile, the angle of incidence of light varies during the day. For this reason, you can adjust according to the oncoming light and make an average improvement. In other words, if you are adjusted according to the direction of the light, the light coming on your driving route may not reflect each other and the filter may not fulfill its function.
I tried to explain a little. hopefully it benefits your business.

Meanwhile, the angle of incidence of light varies during the day. For this reason, you can adjust according to the oncoming light and make an average improvement. In other words, if you are adjusted according to the direction of the light, the light coming on your driving route may not reflect each other and the filter may not fulfill its function.
This is incorrect, we are not worried about the angle of incidence, we are only concerned with the angle of polarisation, and the reflected light off the screen and road are always polarised at the same angle, exactly horizontal, so you can set a perfect adjustment, with the polariser exactly vertical. The angle for the edges of the image will not be perfect, but for the centre you can get a perfect adjustment for all times of day and night. This is why you do not have to rotate your polarised driving glasses depending on which direction you are traveling!

I tried to explain a little.
Thanks for trying :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Going to re-align the CPL today. Just wondering, is there an easy way to remove the A229 from the mount? Or does the entire mount need to be removed? It's pretty firm, but just want to make sure before I try to do anything and possibly damage something. I can see the A129 can be removed so was wondering if this would be easier to get the CPL on properly.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found my manual and can see how to dismount. Will go adjust it now.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Going to re-align the CPL today. Just wondering, is there an easy way to remove the A229 from the mount? Or does the entire mount need to be removed? It's pretty firm, but just want to make sure before I try to do anything and possibly damage something. I can see the A129 can be removed so was wondering if this would be easier to get the CPL on properly.
Pan the camera to the right. It will be separated from the GPS holder. Center and load cpl exactly. As I wrote above, the light changes during the day and if you make this adjustment on the vehicle, it will be misleading. If you center it exactly you will get better performance.

This is incorrect, we are not worried about the angle of incidence, we are only concerned with the angle of polarisation, and the reflected light off the screen and road are always polarised at the same angle, exactly horizontal, so you can set a perfect adjustment, with the polariser exactly vertical. The angle for the edges of the image will not be perfect, but for the centre you can get a perfect adjustment for all times of day and night. This is why you do not have to rotate your polarised driving glasses depending on which direction you are traveling!

Thanks for trying :)
Thank you for your interest in my article. Actually we are talking about the same thing. I'm just detailing how the possible wrong would be and stating that the right thing would be with the average.

Dismounted the dash and aligned the CPL. Was definitely slightly off, but not as much as I thought putting it on blindly.

Looking at the footage, definite reduction in reflection depending on what I'm facing. Can see the rainbow effect but it doesn't bother me too much, especially if there isn't much I can do about it. I can read and see what I want to see, will need to do a night drive to test that scenario, however.

Test footage post re-adjustment

Thank you to everyone who commented with help/advice/experience. Greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Dismounted the dash and aligned the CPL. Was definitely slightly off, but not as much as I thought putting it on blindly.

Looking at the footage, definite reduction in reflection depending on what I'm facing. Can see the rainbow effect but it doesn't bother me too much, especially if there isn't much I can do about it. I can read and see what I want to see, will need to do a night drive to test that scenario, however.

Test footage post re-adjustment

Thank you to everyone who commented with help/advice/experience. Greatly appreciated!
The reason for the rainbow is window film. It will remain as long as it is not spilled. In my opinion, it seems reasonable and seems to do its job after the cpl is set.
enjoyable driving.

The reason for the rainbow is window film. It will remain as long as it is not spilled. In my opinion, it seems reasonable and seems to do its job after the cpl is set.
enjoyable driving.
For sure!

To be honest, the reason I had upgraded to the A229 was because I had the ceramic tint installed and they re-mounted my previous dash incorrectly, which I then broke trying to adjust :oops:

So I never thought about it going forward, but I learned now. As mentioned, I don't mind it and it's not really for videography. It's leaps and bounds clearer than my old dash and has way more features, so I'm happy and the reflections seem drastically reduced now!

Now.. I need to figure out my parking mode settings haha. Can't get it to record on events consistently, meanwhile when checking the parking folder sometimes it goes on for hours and hours in my garage with nothing happening.

Hi all,

Mark

TIA

Back