Blackvue's New Dashcams Announced at CES

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
At CES this month, Blackvue announced a number of new dashcams. You can check out their press release here with some photos and info:

I wasn't able to go to the show this year, but I asked Blackvue for some additional details and shared them here:

In short, looks like they're replacing the DR900X Plus with a DR970X. The DR750X Plus is getting replaced by the DR770X. Same image sensors and lens, but the new SigmaStar CPU and ISP (software tuning) should allow for improved video quality. Here's a comparison clip they shared between the 900X Plus and 970X:

The manual event recording trigger is now changing from a proximity motion sensor to a physical button, but otherwise that's about it.

They're also releasing a DR970X LTE and so finally there'll be a 4K Blackvue with LTE built in.

BlackVue-DR970X-2CH-LTE-1024x465.png

I'd definitely prefer this over the previous 1080p only options. The previous 750 LTE Plus is gonna be upgraded to a 770 LTE so there'll be a 4K and a 1080p version now. Other minor things look like a matte black case instead of silver, plus the voltage management is now (finally) built in directly. The other stuff like the new CPU, upgraded video quality, and manual recording button are the same as the non-LTE versions.

and then finally they're doing a new 3CH option called the DR770X Box.

BlackVue-DR770X-Box-1024x465.png

The front cam is now much smaller since the main processor, memory card, power cable, and so on are all gonna be in a separate box that can be installed somewhere hidden. Nice for people who want a more stealthy dashcam or if you're worried about someone stealing the dashcam off your windshield and taking your memory card too.

Other things.. it's 1080p on all three cams (60 fps on front, 30 fps for rear/interior), the dashcams are physically redesigned (front cam is a little bigger for the mic and speaker), and it supports a new Bluetooth button (like Viofo) to give you a remote emergency recording trigger button.

Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but they should be available Spring 2023.

Last edited:
So excited for the improvements.
I like that YouTube video comparison.
I wonder how Thinkware will respond.

Looks to me like the 970 is doing actual HDR? Is it really the same sensor, just a different chip & software?

Yeah the dynamic range does look better with the new version. Definitely the same sensor, they confirmed that several times. I was expecting/hoping that they'd switch to Starvis 2 or something, haha, but it's just a CPU and processing change.

Honestly, I don't see enough here to entice me to swap out my DR900X and DR900X Plus models.

I'd buy one of those BT buttons for sure if they'd upgrade the current firmware on what I have now to use them.

Honestly, I don't see enough here to entice me to swap out my DR900X and DR900X Plus models.

I'd buy one of those BT buttons for sure if they'd upgrade the current firmware on what I have now to use them.
I didn't think of it that way for existing owners of previous models.
I guess in your eyes this "new for 2023" announcement is the equivalent of the car industry's "bold new colors" when they don't change anything for the next model year. LMAO

I didn't think of it that way for existing owners of previous models.
I guess in your eyes this "new for 2023" announcement is the equivalent of the car industry's "bold new colors" when they don't change anything for the next model year. LMAO

Good analogy!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rcg530 BlackVue Other 0
Back