CPL Filter Now Available VS1

With CPL rear:
Seems to be working!

It is not perfect on the rear dashcam, because your wind deflector is at the wrong angle. For reflected light to get fully polarised, the glass needs to be at about 45°, polarising filters don't do much at all for vertical glass. You have both 45° and almost vertical; it will remove reflections well off the rear window when the sun is lighting up your engine cover, or whatever is down there. It is not going to be great for the wind deflector reflections, which might be an issue with the roof down. You might be able to improve the wind deflector reflections by fitting some sort of lens hood around the camera, but that goes against you wanting a tiny dashcam.

Seems to be working!

It is not perfect on the rear dashcam, because your wind deflector is at the wrong angle. For reflected light to get fully polarised, the glass needs to be at about 45°, polarising filters don't do much at all for vertical glass. You have both 45° and almost vertical; it will remove reflections well off the rear window when the sun is lighting up your engine cover, or whatever is down there. It is not going to be great for the wind deflector reflections, which might be an issue with the roof down. You might be able to improve the wind deflector reflections by fitting some sort of lens hood around the camera, but that goes against you wanting a tiny dashcam.

You're right, it's not perfect, but better than with no filter.
I don't have any other options in the Boxster as I can't mount the camera on the rear window, even though it's glass in this model.

I don't have any other options in the Boxster as I can't mount the camera on the rear window, even though it's glass in this model.
If it is a plastic wind deflector, I guess you could cut a hole in it for the camera to look through, would require a fairly small hole since it is almost vertical. I don't imagine a perfect view is worth that much effort though!

With CPL front:
I see a little less than 1 stop loss of light, although with the top of the image shaded, it is hard to tell accurately, and I'm not sure of the correct maths.

Certainly isn't as dark as most photographic CPLs. Looks good :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Slim Jim VS1 6
Back