Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

I haven't received any Viofo A229 Pro videos for testing with Dashcam Viewer so I can't speak to GPS compatibility. However, it appears some folks have had luck, and others not. Not sure what's going on there, but if a Viofo A229 Pro user can send me a handful of raw "non-working" sample videos of varying length (1-5 minutes), I will add it to my ToDo list (https://wetransfer.com). In general, shorter videos tend to have less problems in DCV than longer ones so I recommend using 1-3 minute file lengths.

If I try to play a video shot on firmware V1.0_231009, then Dashcam Viewer closes before starting to play the video.
If I open a video shot on firmware V1.0_231123, then Dashcam Viewer plays it without speed and coordinates.
If I open a video shot on firmware V1.1_240103, then Dashcam Viewer plays it back showing the speed and coordinates.
V1.0_231123.png V1.1_240103.png

Video shot on firmware V1.2_240227 Dashcam Viewer plays back without speed and coordinates.
V1.2_240227.png

Video from Mini 2 shot on firmware V1.0_231116 in the same place Dashcam Viewer plays back with speed and coordinates.
V1.0_1116.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that's the case. The speed stamp is recorded with the video, I presume Dashcam viewer looks at metadata, embedded in the video. If there is a bug in the cam's firmware, it could very well be the stamp is updated, but the metadata isn't :confused:.

@TheSpanishInq is correct--just because there is a speed stamp on the video doesn't mean that the raw GPS data is embedded in the video. And even if there is embedded speed data, it doesn't mean that the it will match the video speed stamp. I've seen dashcams in which the embedded speed and the speed stamp are different at the same playback time, most likely because the video speed stamp data was a moving average value.

I solved the problem of Dashcam Viewer Plus not being able to process GPS information in 10-minute videos with the following method.

First of all, I extracted the GPS data in the 10-minute video with the command line below.

Exiftool installed
I opened cmd.

"D:\Exiftool\A\exiftool.exe" -p "D:\Exiftool\A\gpx-fmt.txt" -ee "D:\Exiftool\A\1.MP4">"D:\Exiftool\A \1.gpx"

I copied it to a directory so that the video name and GPS name are the same.

I opened DATAKAM PLAYER and selected the relevant video file. Datakam player processed gps data.

I clicked on Datakam Player's "Export Track" menu. From the incoming menu
"GS600, Q3 (.dat)"
I chose .

I saved this file with the dat extension in the same directory, with the same name as the video name.

I opened dashcam viewer plus and selected the video file. Both the GPS information and the map of the 10-minute video worked.

Attachments

• x.png
    x.png
    6 KB · Views: 12
  • Dashcam Viewer Plus Print Out.jpg
    Dashcam Viewer Plus Print Out.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 12
  • gpx-fmt.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 1
  • merakmerkezi.jpg
    merakmerkezi.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 10
That's quite a work-around! Thanx for sharing.
Did you upload the 10-minute file to the we-transfer site of Dashcam viewer? This way they can analyse the file and maybe fix the issue so you don't have to perform all these step in the future.

@TheSpanishInq is correct--just because there is a speed stamp on the video doesn't mean that the raw GPS data is embedded in the video. And even if there is embedded speed data, it doesn't mean that the it will match the video speed stamp. I've seen dashcams in which the embedded speed and the speed stamp are different at the same playback time, most likely because the video speed stamp data was a moving average value.
I have given you a link to this video file.
You can download it and see what is in it and what is not.

That's quite a work-around! Thanx for sharing.
Did you upload the 10-minute file to the we-transfer site of Dashcam viewer? This way they can analyse the file and maybe fix the issue so you don't have to perform all these step in the future.
They haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm waiting for an answer to my message. When they answer my message, I will share it with you.

Back