Dashcam with cabin camera for summer road trip

flathell

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello everyone,

I'm preparing a summer road trip with friends and I'm in the market for a set that could cover the following points:
- Front and back dash cam, with decent parking monitoring capability
- Cabin camera with good video/audio recording
- Wifi hot spot
- app to easily download/share videos

On top of the obvious security aspects, the aim is also to have a platform to record cabin discussion and easily access them to post them on social media so any feedback on that aspect would be greatly appreciated.
Vantrue N4 pro looks like a good candidate and maybe 70mai omni in combo with a dual channel.

Thank you guys !

Welcome to the forum.

What you are asking for ( wifi hot spot / cloud functionality ) only get by Blackvue and Thinkware, but usnsure if they have cabin / interior camera.

You have to be careful with interior cameras, some no not have a active IR cut filter, so daylight footage will be off color-wise due to the missing IR cut filter.

N4 or the N5 i am testing ATM both have active IR filters on interior camera / cameras, but not really a quick and easy share to SOSH option as far as i think ( i hate phones very much ) so you would probably have to DL what ever clip to your phone, edit it there and then upload to SOSH ( i also hate SOSH and dont really do it aside for youtube )

But these vantrue do not have wifi hot spot / cloud functionality.

I also test the Omni but its turn to capture cabin is just a glimpse, same to the side,, you cant turn it and say for 5 minutes record a conversation in the car.
It is a strange little camera, not quite sure about how i feel about it, for a 1080p camera footage ASO are just fine, but its more its smart stuff.

Mind you it do NOT turn out tonnes of false parking guard recordings due to the AI and target have to be still in front of car for it to engage, in the months i tested parking guard on it, it only recorded 2 times, both on the gast station and someone on pump in front of me filling his car.

( wifi hot spot / cloud functionality )
Most current dashcams have a wifi hotspot for download of videos, most do not have an internet connection on it. I'm not sure if the OP is requesting cloud and remote access on the camera?

- app to easily download/share videos
Most allow download and easy sharing over wifi, with an iPhone, I think Android phones currently disconnect from the internet while connected to the camera, which makes the sharing via phone a little less easy, at least that is what I read, I have an iPhone.

On top of the obvious security aspects, the aim is also to have a platform to record cabin discussion and easily access them to post them on social media so any feedback on that aspect would be greatly appreciated.
I'll recommend you having a look at the Viofo A229 Pro (4K resolution) or Viofo A229 Plus (2K resolution). Excellent image quality and easy to use app for download and sharing. Also decent microphone.

and maybe 70mai omni in combo with a dual channel.
The Omni is a fun camera for a road trip, with it's voice commands for Take Selfie, Look Left, Look Right, Take Photo.
It is also not bad for a lowish power parking mode, since if someone hits your vehicle, it will spin around and do a 360° scan, while taking quite low power to not drain the battery.

I might recommend it for use as an internal camera for a road trip, because of the fun factor. However it doesn't do IR for night time internal and the microphone isn't great, especially when there is a lot of noise, it is OK, but not great.

I also test the Omni but its turn to capture cabin is just a glimpse, same to the side,, you cant turn it and say for 5 minutes record a conversation in the car.
It is a strange little camera, not quite sure about how i feel about it, for a 1080p camera footage ASO are just fine, but its more its smart stuff.
Yes, there is quite a lot wrong with it as a professional camera, the Turn voice commands often turn back befpre you want them to, the AI people tracking doesn't work sufficiently well to be useful, etc., but it is a fun camera for a road trip, it is easy to use and install, it has the best FHD video quality I've seen, it even has DOL-HDR for night time license plate reading, although 1080 isn't really enough resolution to make good use of that.

Mind you it do NOT turn out tonnes of false parking guard recordings due to the AI and target have to be still in front of car for it to engage, in the months i tested parking guard on it, it only recorded 2 times, both on the gast station and someone on pump in front of me filling his car.
It always spins around if I close a door or the tailgate. The AI also works if someone stands in front of it for ages, I've had it take an interested in an advertising poster containing an image of a person, nobody else stands in front of the car for long enough to engage it!

It also has the option of internet/cloud with its 4G hardwire kit, one of the cheapest cloud options, if you really want cloud functions. Not sure how well the cloud stuff works though, not seen many people using it yet.

If you are looking for a decent dashcam of Omni size, that is easy to install, the Viofo VS1 does a better job at less cost, but it doesn't spin around or have the fun factor!

thanks for your replies, I'll probably pick up a Vantrue N4 pro or Viofo a229 pro.

Back