Hardwire just for regular car-onfunctions?

shol

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there.

I leave my car parked for day sometimes and it's in a secure area. I am contemplating hard wiring the camera but
don't really want to mess with the battery too much if possible. Brand new car, not too much need. And I read this kit I got is going to shut off the camera way late voltage wise and is unconfigurable.

Can I just have it hardwired but have it draw no power unless the car is on? I think I read through the googling that if the red wire is left off and nothing to ACC, it would like that?
I installed it into the cig lighter the last time and it was ok but would be nicer obviously to have it transparent and such.

Will browse through the other topics but would be great if someone could share their thoughts :)

Thanks ahead of time!

You can definitely do it. Others will tell you exactly how with the wires. It will save you wearing out your battery on your nice new car.

Yeah it would be nice to have it hardwired but simply for the basic cam functions/clean look as I don't care about the other stuff and would prefer in simply to drain nothing when the car is off.

Thanks for letting me know :)

You can simply hardwire the proper way and leave parking surveillance mode off - the cam will shut off as usual when the car is off, and draw no power.
Parking surveillance option is still available when you need it. There is a time limit option for parking surveillance too - the cam can shut it down after the set period of time to stop using power. This is independent from the hardwire kit battery protection.

There is another option to hide the power cable away. I did it for my 70mai S500 mirror. I put an additional lighter socket, pulling power from the lighter socket fuse, and hide it inside, next to the hardwire kit of another dashcam. So the 70mai power adapter and cable are not exposed.

You can simply hardwire the proper way and leave parking surveillance mode off - the cam will shut off as usual when the car is off, and draw no power.
Parking surveillance option is still available when you need it. There is a time limit option for parking surveillance too - the cam can shut it down after the set period of time to stop using power. This is independent from the hardwire kit battery protection.

There is another option to hide the power cable away. I did it for my 70mai S500 mirror. I put an additional lighter socket, pulling power from the lighter socket fuse, and hide it inside, next to the hardwire kit of another dashcam. So the 70mai power adapter and cable are not exposed.
Thanks so you are sure that it won't draw any power at all even for like the power on the hardwire kit if parking mode is off? I think I read somewhere that the UP03 kit actually draws power if it's fully connected but to avoid connecting the red wire? I am aware of the shut down but this specific hardwire kit apparently shuts down at 11.4 volts which is really low and could causes issues with the battery; I just don't want it to draw any.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Thanks so you are sure that it won't draw any power at all even for like the power on the hardwire kit if parking mode is off? I think I read somewhere that the UP03 kit actually draws power if it's fully connected but to avoid connecting the red wire? I am aware of the shut down but this specific hardwire kit apparently shuts down at 11.4 volts which is really low and could causes issues with the battery; I just don't want it to draw any.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
If parking mode is off, the hardwire kit draws 0.003 A (3 mA) from car battery - literally nothing, like any electronic devices in power off mode in the car.
And the cut off voltage of the hardwire kit is 11.8V.
11.4V is the set cut off voltage of the (very) old model. Even if you buy one with listed specs as 11.4V - you will received one with 11.8V limit, listed in the guide.

Last edited:
If parking mode is off, the hardwire kit draws 0.003 A (3 mA) from car battery - literally nothing, like any electronic devices in power off mode in the car.
And the cut off voltage of the hardwire kit is 11.8V.
11.4V is the set cut off voltage of the (very) old model. Even if you buy one with listed specs as 11.4V - you will received one with 11.8V limit, listed in the guide.

Thanks so you are confident that hardwiring it and just leaving parking mode off will not have a detrimental affect on the battery over time?
I sometimes don't drive me car for 3-4 day so was a bit concerned with that over time, and such. Anyway thank you for your insights!

Thanks so you are confident that hardwiring it and just leaving parking mode off will not have a detrimental affect on the battery over time?
I sometimes don't drive me car for 3-4 day so was a bit concerned with that over time, and such. Anyway thank you for your insights!
I am sure the dashcam is off if the parking surveillance mode is left unactivated.

However, I don't know what do you mean by "detrimental effect" of a 3 mA current the hardwire kit adds up to the usual car key-off battery draining.

Each car has many electric-electronic equipments, which actively/passively draw power from car battery when the car is off. Clock, security/alarm, radio - to name a few. Anything plugged into battery power would eat some power even when it's off. That's why key-off battery draining is an usual behavior, with 50 mA is widely considered as ideal (healthy) level. Let's say if a car has a 50 amp-hours battery, then 50 AH / 50 mA = 1000 hours = 41.7 days. So if the car is started at least once a month to recharge battery, there should be no issue.

Alrighty, thanks for your help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T A810 2
G A810 32
Back