Static cling - Is it reusable?

tofu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this comes with a 'new' static cling mounting option. Just wondering if it is reusable? I may need to switch to a different vehicle once in a while.

Or is it just a one-time thing, and I need to replace the 3m pad + static cling every time i remove it?

If you get it in the wrong place, you can generally remove and replace it within the first day, but it doesn't do well at switching vehicles after a few months. Although it is called a static sticker, it does have some sort of glue.

It's purpose is to make the sticky pad easy to remove. You then use a new static sticker and new sticky pad.

If you are regularly swapping between two vehicles, you can get an extra mount, the dashcam then just slides off one and onto the other.

If you are sometimes using a temporary/hired car then you can get an extra mount and stick it to a universal suction mount, then the suction mount is easy to install and remove multiple times, but you don't want a suction mount in your regular vehicle, they are a bit vibration prone and fall off occasionally!

I saw this comes with a 'new' static cling mounting option. Just wondering if it is reusable? I may need to switch to a different vehicle once in a while.

Or is it just a one-time thing, and I need to replace the 3m pad + static cling every time i remove it?

I see you have been a member here for a long time so perhaps you may have seen this mentioned here on DCT before but if you need to occasionally move your camera between different vehicles a good alternative is to use 3M Dual Lock Tape, also sold as Scotch Extreme Fasteners instead of using the 3M VHB sticky tape pads that come with your camera.

Scotch Fasteners work similarly to Velco but unlike Velcro they are very secure and stable. Where Velcro is soft and flexible and would allow your camera to vibrate or shift slightly, Scotch Fasteners are rock solid and will be rigid and vibration free. In fact, it can even be a little challenging to take the two sides apart once you click them together but that's how they are designed to function. Using them will allow you to securely mount your camera in multiple cars and move them back and forth.

Many of us have used this method when needed for a long time now, so it's a tried and trusted approach.

dual_lock.jpg

duallock.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scotch+dual+lock+tape

"if you need to occasionally move your camera between different vehicles a good alternative is to use 3M Dual Lock Tape, also sold as Scotch Extreme Fasteners "
I am taking delivery of an A229 Pro 2 channel tomorrow, upgrade from an A119V3, and am interested in this method off attaching the camera to my windshields.

Am I correct in thinking that by this method one piece of 3M goes on the mount and another goes on the static film or is putting that piece directly onto the glass a better option? Can this be done on the front and rear cameras?

Thanks

I am taking delivery of an A229 Pro 2 channel tomorrow, upgrade from an A119V3, and am interested in this method off attaching the camera to my windshields.

Am I correct in thinking that by this method one piece of 3M goes on the mount and another goes on the static film or is putting that piece directly onto the glass a better option? Can this be done on the front and rear cameras?

Thanks
The dashcam mount normally comes with 1 piece of 3M attached, normally you stick this to the glass. If you want to be able to easily remove the dashcam in future, or want thieves to be able to easily remove it, then you attach the static film to the glass, then stick the 1 piece of 3M, already attached to the camera, to the static film.

So one piece of film, one 3M pad, one mount, and one dashcam, in order.

The dashcam mount normally comes with 1 piece of 3M attached, normally you stick this to the glass. If you want to be able to easily remove the dashcam in future, or want thieves to be able to easily remove it, then you attach the static film to the glass, then stick the 1 piece of 3M, already attached to the camera, to the static film.

So one piece of film, one 3M pad, one mount, and one dashcam, in order.
Thanks. I did not explain myself very well. I was trying to imagine how to use the 3M lock tape in that scenario.

Thanks. I did not explain myself very well. I was trying to imagine how to use the 3M lock tape in that scenario.

I suggested the 3M Dual Lock tape as an alternative to the static film approach. It offers a method that is very secure, vibration free and stable but makes it quite easy to move a camera between two vehicles. 3M Dual Lock tape uses two strips that snap together securely, so you would have one strip "permanently" attached to your windshield in each vehicle and a strip "permanently" attached to your cameras mount. Then, you simply separate them to move your camera from one car and snap it into place in the other car.

The first photo I posted above of 3M Dual Lock shows the best option to purchase for mounting dash cams. You can find this product at hardware stores, building supply stores like Home Depot and online such as on Amazon. The package comes with several rectangular pieces that are approximately 24 mm x 76 mm and these are a perfect size to fit most dash cam mounts and can be cut to size if necessary. You can also use multiple strips cut from a roll but the pre-cut rectangle will work better.

Again, I would not recommend Scotch Fasteners (Dual Lock) for use with the static film because the adhesive is very strong. I only recommend it as an alternative to the static film for quick removal of your camera.

Back