Viofo A139 Pro 4K Front + FHD Inside + FHD Rear

The A119 Pro was a high-resolution version of the A119, in the same physical housing
The A129 Pro was a high-resolution version of the A129, in the same physical housing
The A139 Pro is a high-resolution version of the A139, in the same physical housing
It has been suggested that the A229 Pro will be a high-resolution version of the A229, in the same physical housing

If you want 4K Starvis 2 and like the A139 body shape, buy the A139 Pro
If you want 4K Starvis 2 and prefer the A229 wedge, wait for the A229 Pro

P.S. There may be small differences in the housing, ventilation and internals etc. between pro and non-pro models, but my point remains the same
I just ordered A229 last week :/
If i knew there is a A139 Pro i would have bought this one and maybe upgrading to A229 Pro in the future

Bummer!!!

I just ordered A229 last week :/
If i knew there is a A139 Pro i would have bought this one and maybe upgrading to A229 Pro in the future

Bummer!!!
I would contact the seller if I were you. Perhaps he will change your A229 to A139Pro.

Just wondering if the new sensor creates more heat?
The A129 4K has this problem i believe but that is a different sensor.
Is it using DOL HDR or the clever Clear HDR?
Clear HDR.
Regarding heat, I am already tired about this misinformation. If a Viofo dashcam is supposed to work bad because of heat, it is not because of heat but because of user installation and usage of the camera. See next comment and latest comment from me.
We don't have particularly high temps in the UK - my A129 Pro has never had any issues
I was a bit surprised they went with this A139 housing for a 4K camera.
The chipset was ready for a Starvis 2 CMOS. With less effort they produced the first Starvis 2 dashcam in the world and more important, it is the biggest size CMOS used in dash cameras.
The biggest step made by Viofo was to chose a bigger sensor after they were waiting for a good one from more than 4 years.
If your 1 channel 4K / A139 camera had the same bitrates as the 2 and 3 channel models,,,,, that would be ridiculous in my mind, and it would be a turn off for buying the system.
If.
From my tests, bitrate over 40mbps is not necessary. And this is a very good news because smaller bitrate will save space on the card.
The A139 Pro with the IMX678 STARVIS 2 image sensor was sent to me on 30-Sep-2022. I've not been informed of any internal changes between the unit I have and the upcoming production units.
Yes, and between 30.09.2022 and 15.11.2022 is more than one month to improve the internals to not overheat.
If the internals are the same as previous A139 then for a 4K dashcam would be needed only a better or bigger cooling system. Because of this it is possible they to find another place where to put the super-caps. But more essential changes I can not imagine right now.

The first signal I received about heat of A139 Pro was when I took out the card. It had not a high temperature when I touch it. At other dashcams it was more hot. Maybe the placement of the card is helping this too. From my experience with samples, I consider the first fight for a manufacturer is to put the SD card slot in some area to not overheat. Most of dashcams malfunctions are because of cards going too hot. Some cards can still work OK when are hot but other card brands are more sensitive to heat. So when I read the stupid report about dashcam not working because of heat I think more to the card. Then I think if the HK is not covered by the car insulation carpet and going too hot. Then I think if user covered the dashcam with the sun visor. Then I think he used a windshield sun protector and camera is in front of it supporting very high temperatures.
But if a Viofo dashcam will go to hot, it will just turn off based of its temperature protection.
When I will read that a Viofo dashcam mounted in a normal ventilated space on the windshield is turning off automatically then I will start to believe that it is a problem with that users dashcam. So I will think that Viofo forgot something inside dashcam or forgot to put the heatsink.

By the way, I like how you are doing the things, I only hope you will align the lens as expected by the manufacturer and not by what the users comments on a forum.

Last edited:
All you need to know about this dashcam is included in attached picture which is zoomed at 5X. Everything else it is not so important just because it is a Viofo product and all we know what products are they producing.

This is the most revolutionary step made in dashcam world and Viofo are the first in the world who achieved this. This is the first ever dashcam snapshot which is showing an european car license plate read at a speed over 20 km/h. And not 25 or 30 km/h but 100 km/h. Some dashcams could not read license plates at 100 km/h during day.

View attachment 62257
I'm struggling to reproduce the same results with American plates. For whatever reason the videos play back fine in VLC, but in FinalCut, the videos are mostly blacked out and I just get one frame of video every 1/2 a sec. Skimming through some test clips though, here's some zoomed in crops of front plates at night (3.5x zoom). These are all around 35-37 MPH with the other cars driving at similar speeds. So let's say 70-75 MPH closing speed or 113-121 KM/H.

A139 Pro night front plate 1.jpg

A139 Pro night front plate 2.jpg

A139 Pro night front plate 3.jpg

A139 Pro night front plate 4.jpg

Again, beta firmware, but still.

I've also been struggling to freeze plates even in the daytime. It seems like motion blur is a bit worse with this camera and it's relying on longer shutter speeds at the moment.

Last edited:
I just received my tracking number for the A139 Pro 3-Ch for test & review.
So excited, can't wait. lol
Based on previous shipping times from Hong Kong to California it should arrive in my mailbox on, or before December 1.
-Chuck

I'm waiting for a tracking number for the 1ch. Will be able to run concurrently with my 4k A129 Pro.
Oh boy.
Oh boy.
Oh boy.

Great minds...
I also requested an A129 Pro for comparison with the A139 Pro.
The A129 Pro was delivered October 15.
This is going to be one heck of a Viofo 4K shootout.
The A129 Pro, and A139 Pro are just over 3 years apart.
And it's been around 6 years since Viofo used the first STARVIS 1 sensor.
This is going to be a barn burner. lol

Waiting to see lots of starvis 2 footage.

It seem like ( dont bet on it ) that the kickstarter camera i supported might ship next month, then i have a baseline 4K system to compare with ( IMX 415 sensor only )
That, though paid for long ago carry a additional cost in form of a #2 SIM card, needed to take advantage / test the smart features of that system.

All you need to know about this dashcam is included in attached picture which is zoomed at 5X. Everything else it is not so important just because it is a Viofo product and all we know what products are they producing.

This is the most revolutionary step made in dashcam world and Viofo are the first in the world who achieved this. This is the first ever dashcam snapshot which is showing an european car license plate read at a speed over 20 km/h. And not 25 or 30 km/h but 100 km/h. Some dashcams could not read license plates at 100 km/h during day.

View attachment 62257

This is incredible honestly.

I compared videos from iPhone 12 PRO + BlackmagicCam (this is a free application only for iPhones) and mod A139ProYes. I took it off by hand - for testing, but I already bought an iPhone holder for the car window!!So to be more correct, I use an ultra-wide-angle camera on my iPhone with a field of view of 120 degrees

BlackmagicCam (this is a free application only for iPhones)
That is a really good app, for a free one!

Looking at the video it appears to focus on the dash at times, but in BlackmagicCam you can set fixed focus to avoid that problem.

It will still have a slower shutter speed with motion blur, you need to keep the auto exposure on, but you can set a fixed ISO, which might help...

Yes, there are a lot of settings, I haven’t figured them all out yet, I turned on HDR and the picture changed, I’ll mount it on the glass and continue!!Very interesting!!

Attachments

• iF+139_4.jpg
    iF+139_4.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 11
  • iF+139.jpg
    iF+139.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 11
Back