VIOFO BTR200 - 3-Button Bluetooth Remote Control

It is fairly easy to calculate sunset and sunrise time from the GPS coordinates and GPS time, which is what you want for your HDR On and Off if you are not going to use light level.

It gets difficult if you want to deal with timezones and DST, which don't have much to do with light levels or solar time. They are controlled by political decisions!
I don't think it's so much of a question of who decides where the boundaries are, but rather how much more memory you'd need to store mapping info compared to something like POI's.

Some dashcams have red light camera / speed camera info, and those are basically just lat/lon coordinates and you get an alert when you're heading towards it and less than X meters away. Great.

Storing map info like borders across entire countries for multiple continents requires more data than a bunch of GPS coordinates. I'm sure there's ways to simplify things, like if there's a vertical stretch of a timezone border, you can say if you're within a certain geographic zone and you're north or south of these coordinates, consider if you're east or west of this vertical line of longitude and set your time zone accordingly.

Granted I'm not a computer science major, but I'm sure there's gotta be ways to optimize. Perhaps give people a second "time zone" file to download if they want, in addition to their firmware update file, and build in some extra memory to store that info, and boom you should give yourself the ability to set time zone via GPS.

@Vortex Radar @Karagandinez
Judging by what is written, it would be good and functional if the front camera automatically turns on HDR thanks to the light sensor on the main camera or the interior camera light sensor in the future. The current automatic HDR clock setting should not necessarily remain constant throughout the year. It may be better to turn it on and off with the help of a sensor.
Thus, HDR can be activated when passing through a tunnel during daytime driving and can be turned off again thanks to the light sensor at the tunnel exit.
@viofo
I dunno, I get the idea in theory, but IMO dashcams need to be as hands-off as possible. AutoHDR should let us have HDR off in the daytime and on at night. The less putzing around we have to do with our dashcams to change settings on the fly, the better. You should be able to get in the car and go without having to worry about which setting your dashcam is in or without having to remember if you should change every time you get in the car, or what setting it was in last time you drove. (A timer-based AutoHDR solution technically can work initially, but it become less and less helpful over time the farther away you are from the equator.) If your dashcam is hidden behind the RVM, will you have an audible confirmation to let you know that HDR is on/off? Hopefully that'll be an option, but either way I think we shouldn't have to manually change settings on the fly when the dashcam should be able to do all that for us.
Absolutely agree with both of you!

One of my first posts on this forum was about Light Sensor Activated HDR after I bought a Viofo A119 Mini and was lost in the setting options.
Average consumer is not a tester, most have no idea what the HDR is, most have no idea DCT forum exist, I was one of them.

The light sensor is the most simple and fairly accurate and acceptable way to switch HDR ON/OFF.
It does not care about location, season, time zones, tunnels, weather conditions, total solar eclipse, and most importantly stupid DST by politicians.

Nothing is complicated about implanting simple Light sensor. It does not need to be precise.
Transition time from day to night is quite long, and who can tell for sure, is it better to have HDR ON or OFF when it is not too bright and not to dark?
So ±15-30 min within the transition window will work.

Car's Auto-Headlights work just fine (most people never touch it, my wife has no idea where the switch is)
My $3 outdoor Dusk to Dawn LED Bulbs work just fine, 3 of them could be ±15 min apart from each other but all are ON comfortably before complete darkness.

And this Auto-HDR shouldn’t be even an option, it should be hardwired design.

Last edited:

Perhaps when HDR works better but at the moment it doesn't help during the day.

Reactions: Mtz
I dunno, I get the idea in theory, but IMO dashcams need to be as hands-off as possible. AutoHDR should let us have HDR off in the daytime and on at night. The less putzing around we have to do with our dashcams to change settings on the fly, the better. You should be able to get in the car and go without having to worry about which setting your dashcam is in or without having to remember if you should change every time you get in the car, or what setting it was in last time you drove. (A timer-based AutoHDR solution technically can work initially, but it become less and less helpful over time the farther away you are from the equator.) If your dashcam is hidden behind the RVM, will you have an audible confirmation to let you know that HDR is on/off? Hopefully that'll be an option, but either way I think we shouldn't have to manually change settings on the fly when the dashcam should be able to do all that for us.
This. I like and applaud Viofo for the idea of this button but it seems 50/50 as for us power users, we may want it. Others want to be hands off and plug n play as much as possible. I had a dashcam years and years ago and had the external Bluetooth button but I found it useless after a day or two.

Also the issues of not remembering the two smaller buttons, what they do etc without pressing them. With the A229 Pro it gives you the voice prompts when you power on, saying that its 3 channel recording. Maybe an extended spiel from the camera about HDR and wifi may be beneficial rather than having to poke a Bluetooth button lol. If we really wanna be turning stuff on and on, that's what the 885 options in the app are for haha

Agree with that, what about Auto-CPL?

Those who do not need BTR200 can not use it, no one is forcing anyone. I really like it and I need 2 pieces.
I know at what time my HDR is on and at what time it is off. Auto HDR is responsible for this. But sometimes there are situations when I really need to turn on HDR due to a sudden change in weather conditions or something else, and it’s more convenient to do this by pressing a button.
I also have models from Viofo installed on the rear windows, and in order to enter the menu through the application I have to get out of the car, open the trunk and turn on the Wi-Fi. Agree that it is more convenient to turn on Wi-Fi through one of the buttons on the remote control and only then change the settings in the application, if required.

Just fix the Auto HDR using the millions of light sensors in the camera to figure out when it's day or night.

This. I like and applaud Viofo for the idea of this button but it seems 50/50 as for us power users, we may want it. Others want to be hands off and plug n play as much as possible. I had a dashcam years and years ago and had the external Bluetooth button but I found it useless after a day or two.

Also the issues of not remembering the two smaller buttons, what they do etc without pressing them. With the A229 Pro it gives you the voice prompts when you power on, saying that its 3 channel recording. Maybe an extended spiel from the camera about HDR and wifi may be beneficial rather than having to poke a Bluetooth button lol. If we really wanna be turning stuff on and on, that's what the 885 options in the app are for haha
50/50 use by power users would be just 10% of all users who may use those additional buttons, considering the ratio between power users and average consumers is close to 20/80.
However, I like BTR200 and most users can definitely use only main button (lock the video).
I use original BTR for my rear A119 Mini, but with BTR200, I hope, I could also turn it off in my garage where I don't need parking.

Agree with that, what about Auto-CPL?
I am not sure how the auto-cpl could be implemented, but...
Everything essential for the proper operation of DVR should be installed from factory permanent
It looks like most people use CPL on main unit on windshield, so it should be permanent design solution
For the rear cam because of tint and near vertical rear glass on tracks and SUVs, CPL should be optional but idiot-prove design, so nobody can miss install it accidentally.

I think we need to start "consumer friendly" wish list thread @Panzer Platform .
-For example why we need so many resolutions, who is relay using other than native resolution? DVR should work at highest settings all the time.
-Why Bit-rate choices? DVR should work at highest settings all the time
-Why we need external microphone, the only reason I see is to move it outside so conversations inside car (your frustration about the traffic :cool:) are not recorded but who and how does that?
-Choice between 50 or 60 Hertz is anyone really using it?
-Who needs entry into parking mode delay choices? if needed, could it be say 60 sec implemented and remove it from options?
-etc.

I am afraid I am going to get a lot flak for this post :unsure:

-For example why we need so many resolutions, who is relay using other than native resolution? DVR should work at highest settings all the time.
-Why Bit-rate choices? DVR should work at highest settings all the time
-Why we need external microphone, the only reason I see is to move it outside so conversations inside car (your frustration about the traffic :cool:) are not recorded but who and how does that?
-Choice between 50 or 60 Hertz is anyone really using it?
-Who needs entry into parking mode delay choices? if needed, could it be say 60 sec implemented and remove it from options?
-etc.
Why do you want to change everything?
If you don't need it, just don't use it.
I'll tell you a secret: Besides you, Viofo has many thousands of users all over the world and many of them use these settings.
And the choice between 50 and 60 Hertz is simply a must. There are also supporters of an external microphone.
As well as delays in entering parking mode.

50/50 use by power users would be just 10% of all users who may use those additional buttons, considering the ratio between power users and average consumers is close to 20/80.
However, I like BTR200 and most users can definitely use only main button (lock the video).
I use original BTR for my rear A119 Mini, but with BTR200, I hope, I could also turn it off in my garage where I don't need parking.
Some fair points, ah yes lock the video was what I used the Bluetooth button for all those years ago but again hardly used it either. As you say, probably very useful for someone who has a camera installed in the rear. Niche use cases still need servicing etc as you say

...ah yes lock the video was what I used the Bluetooth button for all those years ago but again hardly used it either...
Same here. I don't concern myself with the ability to 'lock' a video. Use large enough cards (they're cheap, really) and any given video file will not be overwritten for many, many hours of driving. You have more than ample time to save it somewhere safe.

I use the bitrate settings because otherwise it is too slow to auto download videos when the company cars park at the office.

Same here. I don't concern myself with the ability to 'lock' a video. Use large enough cards (they're cheap, really) and any given video file will not be overwritten for many, many hours of driving. You have more than ample time to save it somewhere safe.
This.

That being said, there may be some of us out there that like pushing the button because it's like pushing a buzzer on a game show LoL

haha I find the lock button to be very useful, primarily to make it quick and easy to go back and quickly find important clips to use for later. Way better than trying to memorize locations, specific times, etc.

Speaking of big memory cards though, that's why I don't think the G-sensor when driving is super useful. If you get into an crash, you're gonna definitely wanna pull the footage. The G-sensor can be useful for marking footage to make it easier to find later, but you get lots of unneeded locked videos from speed bumps and all to where I just turn that feature off in practice as soon as I get any new dashcam in. Having that video get overwritten isn't a real issue given large memory cards and the desire to pull the video file off the camera soon after any incident.

AutoHDR should let us have HDR off in the daytime and on at night.
And it should not be very precise. It can be off only from 8AM to 3PM all year.
Regarding the Daylight, seems that USA to be more lucky. I don't know for what this function is.
USA dailight saving.jpg

Auto HDR turns off HDR during the day and turns it on at night. But sometimes there are situations when we really need to turn on HDR due to a sudden change in weather conditions or something else, and it’s more convenient to do this by pressing a button.
In those situations HDR is not helping. HDR is helping only it is a lot of light pointed to the license plate. When it is cloudy or at dawn, dusk, sunrise, sunset, even you will keep your headlights on there is not enough light to make the plates visible, because in some way the poor natural light which is still present is cancelling the light from your headlights. In such situations HDR on or off means no difference, no help.
it would be good and functional if the front camera automatically turns on HDR thanks to the light sensor on the main camera or the interior camera light sensor in the future. The current automatic HDR clock setting should not necessarily remain constant throughout the year. It may be better to turn it on and off with the help of a sensor.
Just fix the Auto HDR using the millions of light sensors in the camera to figure out when it's day or night.
The actual HDR implementation on Viofo is good also during day, it is much better than before. If you still consider that you want the HDR off during day you can take some all year safe period between 8AM and 3PM.

To be in the safe zone just let the HDR on auto from 8AM to 3PM and use a telephoto camera to increase the legibility of car registration plates like described here.

For me the best news is the implementation of the UltraWide 21:9 resolution, this was my biggest request. This should be the standar aspect ration on dashcams and not 16:9.
UltraWide.jpg

Going back ontopic about the remote my advice is to mount it on your right or on your left but with the side buttons on the exterior. With the index you will press the top side button, with the middle finger the top bottom button and with the thumb you will keep the pressure to not detach the remote from the dashboard. Mounting it on any other position regarding the buttons can result in a falling remote after some side pressings on it.
remote buttons1.jpgremote buttons3.jpgViofo remote BTR200 battery and detachable mount.jpgremote old vs new 1.jpgremote old vs new 2.jpgremote old vs new 3.jpg
I hope you will not discover that the side buttons are too small and you will not feel them when you will try to press them. As you can see the adhesive area was increased a lot, I always considered that the first version of the remote had a too small dual adhesive tape.

For people with short memory will be a problem to remember all voice commands, remote buttons actions, multiple actions for camera buttons. A solution can be to print a nice small list and put it on the rearview mirror for example.
Bluetooth function for Mic Button.jpgBluetooth function for Action Button.jpg

Why do you want to change everything?
If you don't need it, just don't use it.
I'll tell you a secret: Besides you, Viofo has many thousands of users all over the world and many of them use these settings.
And the choice between 50 and 60 Hertz is simply a must. There are also supporters of an external microphone.
As well as delays in entering parking mode.

I do not want to change everything, I am just suggesting to remove certain non-essential, and rarely used options, by few.
The reason is to simplify unnecessary complicated settings and functionality in favor of more reliable and less expensive product.
By removing support for some non-sense options, may be Viofo can focus on some really needed stuff like true Over the Air FW updates, or auto-HDR, or no low cut-off setting on HK for dedicated batteries, etc.
If some options are “must have” so be it.

BTW, these suggestions are inspired by famous question from @Karagandinez , that I liked:
“Why force him to make coffee?” :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
In those situations HDR is not helping. HDR is helping only it is a lot of light pointed to the license plate. When it is cloudy or at dawn, dusk, sunrise, sunset, even you will keep your headlights on there is not enough light to make the plates visible, because in some way the poor natural light which is still present is cancelling the light from your headlights. In such situations HDR on or off means no difference, no help.
I know very well from what time and under what conditions the Viofo models in my car recognize the license plates of oncoming cars in the evening and at night.
If in good weather I need to turn on the HDR at 8 o'clock in the evening, then in cloudy and rainy weather I need to turn on the HDR an hour and a half earlier than the time when the HDR turns on automatically.
I will not change the time when the HDR is turned on due to weather conditions, but I will turn on the HDR with a button on the remote control in such a situation with pleasure.
By the way: At what moments turning on HDR helps, and at what times it doesn't, I also know. ;)

Back