VIOFO Voice command improvement suggestion

but you seemed to have missed that the improved results in using AI to diagnose breast cancer
Incorrect, maybe you didn't read it very carefully!

The AI did not diagnose the cancers, it merely assisted the humans in diagnosing the cancers; far from the holy grail of freeing up the humans to do other things.

All of your comments are based on comparisons to common everyday computers, laptops and other familiar devices as we now know them but that's not correct. Such devices are merely passive computers that can ONLY do the specific tasks they are programmed to do. They have no agency.
And yet most AI systems, including neural networks, have, until recently, been run on those traditional computers; not quite as fast as with the latest AI processors, but they run fine and produce the same results.

Incorrect, maybe you didn't read it very carefully!

The AI did not diagnose the cancers, it merely assisted the humans in diagnosing the cancers; far from the holy grail of freeing up the humans to do other things.

"Reading mammograms with the help of artificial intelligence (AI) software found 20% more cancers than the routine double reading by two different radiologists and didn’t increase false positives, according to a Swedish study."

The use of AI was what empowered them to improve the diagnostic results by 20%. This is just semantics Nigel. Stop playing petty games for once.

And yet most AI systems, including neural networks, have, until recently, been run on those traditional computers; not quite as fast as with the latest AI processors, but they run fine and produce the same results.

OK, some Weak AI can operate on more traditional hardware . That's basically what voice control on Viofo cameras do but advanced AI which has fast become the current state of the art requires advanced parallel processing power plenty of fast memory, different architecture a highly specialize software. Haven't you noticed the price of NVIDIA stock lately? Why use a hobbled old school hardware technology to try to win an argument when you know that's not what is being discussed here?

nvidia.jpg

You really are religious about AI aren't you? You keep on running of on how wonderful it all is and what beauty it will bring, how it will change our lives, and, and...
And when some people on this forum state that, at the moment it is predominantly marketing, you run of again. That rattles my cage. I'm not trying to win an argument, I had hoped to reason with you, and failed.

And don't use stock prices to prove your point, it works against you. Stock prices in 99% of cases represent the underbelly of the stock brokers, not the real value. Yes it says Nvidia is making good money with their custom graphics cards, but that is how marketing works. It doesn't mean it has intelligence, just that a lot of people want AI, and want it now. (They too want their MTV, to paraphrase a well know farm hand on this forum ;) )

To explain why I called AI 'just optimized processors using very clever algorithm' (I missed an s there...)
Artificial intelligence (AI), in its broadest sense, is intelligence exhibited by machines, particularly computer systems. It is a field of research in computer science that develops and studies methods and software which enable machines to perceive their environment and uses learning and intelligence to take actions that maximize their chances of achieving defined goals.
Note that I don't agree using the word intelligence for computers, see the bingo reference below.

Where 'learning' refers to:
Machine learning (ML) is a field of study in artificial intelligence concerned with the development and study of statistical algorithms that can learn from data and generalize to unseen data, and thus perform tasks without explicit instructions.
Which state 'statistical algorithms'. No magic, just very clever people telling computers with custom (Nvidia) processors, a lot of memory and very fast storage, to process an S-load of data, hence my reference to a resource hog, as it requires a lot of compute power and therefor cooling and energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzword_bingo (aka bs-bingo)
Buzzword bingo is generally played in situations where audience members feel that the speaker is relying too heavily on buzzwords or jargon rather than providing relevant details or clarity. Business meetings led by guest speakers or notable company personalities from higher up the pay scale are often viewed as a good opportunity for buzzword bingo, as the language used by these speakers often includes predictable references to arcane business concepts, which are perfect for use in the creation of buzzword bingo cards.
Where AI in itself is THE buzzword atm.

Last night I saw a documentary about the elections in Indonesia being won by a general with an questionable history at best, thanks to AI.
So it seems, AI isn't just marketing any more...

I somehow had block this message from my view, maybe because of my skepticism about AI. So thank you @Dashmellow, for clearing that up.
"There are many ‘important and urgent risks from AI,’ not just the risk of extinction; for example, systemic bias, misinformation, malicious use, cyberattacks, and weaponization,” Hendrycks continued. “These are all important risks that need to be addressed.”

And fear exist this will happen with other elections this year too. (America, Europe, ...)

BTW: Regarding AI in the hospital where I worked. 10 years ago such research was done as well, with similar results. So yeah, I am a bit skeptical.

Reactions: Mtz
For a guy who claims, "I'm not trying to win an argument" you sure seem be putting a lot of effort into winning your argument, with all this verbiage, talk of buzz words and posting of way too many Wikipedia links. ;)

Apparently, you are misinterpreting what I've been saying here, but based on your previous comments this does not surprise me. I have not claimed in any way that "AI will make everything wonderful" Far from it. It could become nightmarish. What I am saying is that AI is going to bring profound changes to every facet of human society in the years to come whether we like it or not. It will be as profound as the invention of the printing press or air travel or the rise of the internet. Some of those changes will be positive and some will be quite negative. However skeptical, cynical and resistant to technological progress you may be is essentially irrelevant.

Yes, AI is a double edged sword and while accusing me of being some kind of evangelist, I specifically pointed out that it has the potential to be dangerous. Earlier, I mentioned the author, educator and computer scientist Vernor Vinge (who died just a several weeks ago, sadly). One of the things he is famous for is an essay he wrote in 1993 predicting that, "Within thirty years,(now) we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after,the human era will be ended." I first read it decades ago, so I am well aware of that possible scenario. Perhaps you should read it.

Some of these changes that are coming as a result of AI will be enormously positive and some will be extremely negative and destructive, some will be so mundane as to be unnoticeable. Nevertheless, however skeptical, buzzwordy, cynical and resistant to technological progress you may be or however many Wikipedia links you want post doesn't matter. It is beyond what you or I may think of it as it is going to happen anyway. It has been very common that in every generation throughout history there are segments of society who like you deny and resist technological change but then eventually get dragged kicking and screaming into the future. It's like people who didn't want to give up their horse and buggy because they were afraid of and skeptical about motor cars or the weavers and textile workers known as Luddites who revolted to the increased use of mechanized looms and knitting frames. Still, as I've stated previously, you are entitled to your opinions just as I am entitled to mine, although you seem to have a hard time accepting that.

Last edited:
Back