1944p Resolution on A229 DUO

knapp9

Reaction score
Country
United States
At the risk of really showing my ignorance, what is 1944p 24fps resolution?

I noticed for the first time today that I had that resolution option when I double checked the System Settings on my A229 DUO 2K camera (which I bought in January). That is in addition to the 1440p 30fps and 1080p 30fps resolution settings that are also available. I updated to the latest VIOFO firmware V1.2.20230324 a week ago, and am wondering if that was something included in the latest update. I honestly don't recall (or remember) seeing the 1944 resolution option before. It could have been there, I honestly do not know.

I decided to go with the 1944 setting, but my eyes could not tell any difference from the previous 1440 setting in the short test drive I took to compare. Looked pretty much the same to me ... but what do I know??? :confused:

Here is pic of my camera settings in case it didn't come thru on the previous post.
IMG_3001.JPG

You are not "ignorant", this is a great question.
I really wish these "wacky" non 16:9 Aspect Ratio resolutions did not exist.
All they seem to do is further complicate the issue for the average consumer.
Have a look at one of my favorite videos explaining dash cam resolutions, and frame rates.
In a nutshell if the video is too long, or not the info you're looking for usually the "minimum" frame rate for a dash cam should be 30fps.
Anything less than 30fps the footage will look choppy.

And as far as resolutions go you usually want to stick to 16:9 Aspect Ratios;
3840 x 2160 = 4K
2560 x 1440 = 2K
1920 x 1080 = Full HD

As far as what is 1944p? Without getting technical it's what some people refer to as 2.5K, or 2.7K.
But if you try to share a 2.5K, or 2.7K video for example on YouTube it will be "chopped down" to 2560 x 1440 = 2K.

But, don't take my word for it, you should always test every resolution, and frame rate to see what works best for your specific application.
Some people prefer the super wide aspect ratio because it cuts off the sky, and the interior dashboard of your car.

Thanks for the video link. If your powers of comprehension are really good, one only needs to watch that video 3 times. :D

All joking aside, it was very useful. Based on the technical info in Sony's IMX335 product information sheet shown in the video, it looks like VIOFO is now going to Sony's advertised "number of recommended recording pixels" at 2592 x 1944 for this camera. Like you say it is still 2K (which is why I bought this camera), but I guess I'll just have to compare my videos a little more to see which one I like better at the 24 or 30 fps. Ugh.

Thanks again for the video link. The illustrated difference is obvious.

I just got back from my test drive comparing the 2 settings. Same route and speed. To me, the smoother higher fps wins out over higher resolution. I'm staying with the 1440p at 30 fps. The 1944 only looked better when the car was stopped, and I had to really look close to see the difference. Hate to say it, but now I'm wondering if I should have just spent the extra $ in the first place and bought a 4K camera. Live & learn I guess. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
That 2592x1944 is very uncommon, a quick Google search only comes back some webcams and IP cams. 24 fps is really only used in movies, reason for this slow frame rate really is just part "tradition" and part artistic look. The 1944p is really just a little bit more pixels than 1440p, so I'd agree with you that having 30 fps is more important than just very little resolution gain (especially only just 32 pixels more horizontally). When another car is moving in your video you'd want more frame per seconds, as sometimes not every frame could capture number plate clearly. It is more "square" than 1440p too but not that useful for a dashcam to see more of the sky and ground!

I just got back from my test drive comparing the 2 settings.
Good job, now you really understand the settings.
But, I still wish that 1944 24fps setting was not available in the first place. lol

I really wish these "wacky" non 16:9 Aspect Ratio resolutions did not exist.

Thank you for the informative post and the YouTube link explaining the difference.

I was running on 1944p @ 24fps all these days. After watching the video, I've switched to 1440p @ 30fps.

What is your thought on the capabilities of the A229 Duo offering 1440p @ 60fps option in the near future (if it is possible)?!

Well, for what is it worth, I asked BBMC support about this new setting since I originally bought the camera from them. Got a response today. Their take is that this new resolution setting "utilizes the sensors' full resolution for full-frame recording in a 4:3 aspect ratio" and thus "capture more in the frame since it isn't cropping the image down as it would on the other settings" what ever that means. But they did acknowledge that 1944p is not a better resolution than 1440.

What is your thought on the capabilities of the A229 Duo offering 1440p @ 60fps option in the near future (if it is possible)?!
This is a highly contentious subject, and the topic of a raging debate.
@Vortex Radar hinted at working on a 30fps vs. 60fps YouTube video.
I don’t think I’m qualified to answer such a complex question.

Their take is that this new resolution setting "utilizes the sensors' full resolution for full-frame recording in a 4:3 aspect ratio" and thus "capture more in the frame since it isn't cropping the image down as it would on the other settings"
If you still have your test footage from comparing;
2592 x 1944 4:3 Aspect Ratio
2560 x 1440 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Could you post a screenshot of each to show the difference?

This is a highly contentious subject, and the topic of a raging debate.
@Vortex Radar hinted at working on a 30fps vs. 60fps YouTube video.
I don’t think I’m qualified to answer such a complex question.
lol yeah, it's on the list to do at some point, but I'd want to go into a lot of detail as usual and test a bunch of situations to illustrate the pros and cons. It may be a while though since I've got a bunch of other higher priority stuff I wanna knock out first.

I know 21:9 aspect ratio screens exist, but as mentioned 16:9 are plenty wide for me, so i generally do not mess around with these " wacky " resolutions.

If you still have your test footage from comparing;
2592 x 1944 4:3 Aspect Ratio
2560 x 1440 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Could you post a screenshot of each to show the difference?
Here you go. 1st screen shot on the left is the 1440. It is shorter from top to bottom, and wider. Photo on the right is 1944. Video is taller and more narrow. Resolution seems to be the same to my eye, although the 1440 video was noticeably smoother than the more choppy video of the 1944 resolution while watching them when the car was moving.

1440.png 1944.png

Here you go. 1st screen shot on the left is the 1440. It is shorter from top to bottom, and wider. Photo on the right is 1944. Video is taller and more narrow. Resolution seems to be the same to my eye, although the 1440 video was noticeably smoother than the more choppy video of the 1944 resolution while watching them when the car was moving.

View attachment 65417 View attachment 65419
The 1440 makes more sense to me. The letter box size i expect would help the metering giving a better exposure in certain situations.

The 1944 adds lots of dash and sky not ideal for a dashcam but great if you want to capture the next meteorite shower

lol yeah, it's on the list to do at some point, but I'd want to go into a lot of detail as usual and test a bunch of situations to illustrate the pros and cons. It may be a while though since I've got a bunch of other higher priority stuff I wanna knock out first.
Maybe it’s time to hire some cute college interns. lol
In the meantime would these be some fair basic statements?
30fps is better for night, and low light situations.
60fps needs a lot of light (daylight) for good results.
60fps at night may degrade image quality.
60fps requires more processing power, and generates more heat.
HDR is currently incompatible with 60fps.
Some cameras have “fake” 60fps by copying frames instead of taking a new image.
60fps has bigger file sizes? (I’m actually not sure about that one).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C A229 / A229 Duo 2