anyway around having to use Garmins parking mode cable?

jimcoop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
title says it all, i've already got a hardwire cable installed that I used for my old dashcam before it broke at the start of the year. i used to have a trancend dp220 and it was hardwired with a blackvue power magic pro hardwire kit.
i didn't realise/notice at the time when I bought the 66w that it needed garmins own cable for parking mode to work (I got it back in April on sale and you can probably guess why it's taken this long to find out it's not working properly) and i'd rather not have to fork out another £70-£80 to buy their cable and get it installed and the blackvue removed at a garage, i'd be as well just buying a new dashcam as it'd be cheaper

The hard wire kits are often unique to the brand at least.
I cant even recall anyone tried mixing hardware ( hard wire kit ) in between much similar systems

There is also the issue of do the new camera require a 3 wire kit, or can a oldie 2 wire kit do it.
As i recall the power magic pro is a old school 2 wire system ?

To my understanding there's no other way around it but @lacibaci is our Garmin expert here and now that I've 'tagged' him we should soon get a solid answer for you ;)

Phil

Are you using TS-DPK1? From the looks of it, it could work; however as far as I can tell it is mini USB. Garmin uses micro USB. Get a mini USB to micro USB dongle and try it. At least the power should work.

I see that there is TS-DPK2 micro USB version. Try it and let us know.

it wasn't using a transcend cable that I had installed, it was a "blackvue power magic pro kit" (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B008B8ERIO) don't know if that link will work.

the 66w gets power from it fine when the car is on, just once the car is switched off the 66w only stay on for about a couple of minutes then powers down like it would when it's plugged into the 12v aux socket in the car.

I'm guessing therein lies the problem, the power magic pro has the three cables that get wired to the fuse box then it goes into its own control box that lets you set the voltage cut off and time limit for parking mode, then it outputs to a 12volt aux port which is what the 66w is plugged into

This will not work with Garmin's parking mode. Garmin actually detects its own module and only then enables parking mode.

Back