DAB interference

an1uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U3000
Getting some DAB interference after adding the rear camera. Certain stations can no longer be received in certain areas where they could previously. Can tell it's the camera as turning it off brings the station back.

Car is a Skoda Superb mk3.

Have ordered a ferrite core clip on. Is this likely to help? Any other things to try? Thanks.

Ferrite clip would be the easiest solution to help, yes.

Another option is to rerun the front/rear cable onto the other side of the vehicle.

Last option is to use another front/rear cable to troubleshoot.

Yes re-routing of the cable to the rear camera can also some times help, this is why i recommend people do a dry run with that cable just "draped" along the planned route to see how it work.
Even if this do mean having your wire in the path of a curtain airbag for a couple of days as you drive around testing.

I am glad i dont even listen to FM radio, i lost everything for radio in the early 90ties, not least the Danish version of the BBC, but also the commercial funded independent radio stations.

DAB / SAT radio interference are not uncommon sadly.

Weird one, but I have DAB / GPS interference if I use a powerbank to power my dashcams. To be precise, this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B075M9LXNY (Model no hx160y1)

Took me ages to work out but it is definately the cause.

Most of my radio gripe is probably also founded in the kind of music i wand to listen to, well it isent really played on radio stations here.
There is a ROCK DAB station here, but what they call rock i call pop, and only 1 in 10 tracks is something i can relate to.

I play from my 8 GB SD card full of MP3 i have ripped from some of my CDs.

Update: DAB still seems more inclined to drop out with the rear camera. Looking into getting a braided metal sleeve for the cable and/or relocating the camera/cable.

Apparently on my car the DAB aerial is integrated into the rear heater element at the top of the rear screen, so maybe relocating the camera to the bottom will improve things.

Eventually dismantled the rear camera and lined it with copper tape with conductive adhesive. This in conjunction with the ferrite core on the cable returns DAB reception to as good as without the camera.

Eventually dismantled the rear camera and lined it with copper tape with conductive adhesive. This in conjunction with the ferrite core on the cable returns DAB reception to as good as without the camera.
Could you possibly send me a link to any Youtube video you referenced to run your cable please? I've now purchased a Skoda Superb Mk3 Estate and will be looking to run a cable in the next few weeks.

Back