Dashcam doesn't stop recording when parked

ilpe

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
hallo,
I installed the mini 2 on the back of the car and I plugged it into the 12V power. The 12V power sockets in my car are always on, even when the car is off. So, basically the camera does not turn off when I turn off the car, and keeps recording, even if I disabled the parking mode. The status led is always red. If I have to open the backdoor and unplug the cable everytime I want to turn off/on the camera that's basically a useless camera for me. Any idea how to solve this ?

Well, if the socket is always on, there is nothing to tell the camera when to stop. It will start as soon as the power is on and designed to stop when the power is lost.
This is how most dash cams are designed to work.
You will have to find a switched 12V. Most cars have it. Contact a competent mechanic.

Maybe you can find a switched circuit in your car. If not, one solution if you have some basic DIY skills would be to install a 5v timer relay which you can program for your needs. A variety of options with different capabilities can be found on eBay at very reasonable prices. Another simple option would be to install an inline USB switch and then manually turn off the dash cam if you don't want it to record when you park your car.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?campid=5338192028&kw=5v timer&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&toolid=20004

One solution if you have some basic DIY skills would be to install a 5v timer relay which you can program for your needs. A variety of options with different capabilities can be found on eBay at very reasonable prices. Another simple option would be to install an inline USB switch and then manually turn off the dash cam if you don't want it to record when you park your car.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?campid=5338192028&kw=5v timer&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&toolid=20004
I was thinking along the same lines, but OPs problem is that the socket is just on. There is no signal to the camera (or timer) when to start (or stop)

I was thinking along the same lines, but OPs problem is that the socket is just on. There is no signal to the camera (or timer) when to start (or stop)

I take your point. Maybe the simple on-off switch would be the way to go even if it is a PITA.

hallo,
I installed the mini 2 on the back of the car and I plugged it into constant 12V power. The 12V power sockets in my car are always on, even when the car is off. So, basically the camera does not turn off when I turn off the car, and keeps recording, even if I disabled the parking mode. The status led is always red. If I have to open the backdoor and unplug the cable everytime I want to turn off/on the camera that's basically a useless camera for me. Any idea how to solve this ?

do you think you can help me?

i am currently having a similar issue.
i want to record 24 hours a day with my mini 2. its powered on 24/7. if i dont mess with it, it will record the first 30 seconds of each trip i take. thats it. i have factory reset it several times. formatted the 512gb (a highly recommended card). possibly slamming the truck door wakes it us for a 30 second clip? i originally double sided taped it to the back glass facing in. then i thought may be there wasnt enough vibration so i made a mount out of silicone window suction cup. thinking maybe it would giggle a bit more. but no luck. will keep working on this and update incases others have similar problems.

thanks for any thoughts!

MARK

hallo,
I installed the mini 2 on the back of the car and I plugged it into the 12V power. The 12V power sockets in my car are always on, even when the car is off. So, basically the camera does not turn off when I turn off the car, and keeps recording, even if I disabled the parking mode. The status led is always red. If I have to open the backdoor and unplug the cable everytime I want to turn off/on the camera that's basically a useless camera for me. Any idea how to solve this ?
It is better to hardwire it with our HK4 hardwire kit. Then it can enter parking mode when you park your car. If you do not need this function, you can just turn off the parking mode in settings, and the camera will just be off after parking.

do you think you can help me?

i am currently having a similar issue.
i want to record 24 hours a day with my mini 2. its powered on 24/7. if i dont mess with it, it will record the first 30 seconds of each trip i take. thats it. i have factory reset it several times. formatted the 512gb (a highly recommended card). possibly slamming the truck door wakes it us for a 30 second clip? i originally double sided taped it to the back glass facing in. then i thought may be there wasnt enough vibration so i made a mount out of silicone window suction cup. thinking maybe it would giggle a bit more. but no luck. will keep working on this and update incases others have similar problems.

thanks for any thoughts!

MARK
Do you mean it just records 30 seconds for each trip at the beginning and then stops records? More details may be needed to figure out the problem, would you mind opening a ticket here to get further help? https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new

Do you mean it just records 30 seconds for each trip at the beginning and then stops records? More details may be needed to figure out the problem, would you mind opening a ticket here to get further help? https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new

This is about the GARMIN Mini 2, not the Viofo A119 Mini 2!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Dash Cam Mini 2 1
Back