Endless start up loop

Webseo69

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've had a Garmin Dashcam 55 for over 4 years and it's been fine unless the last few months. I had a car back into me (only resulted in a small crack on the front vent of my car, so nothing major) but I wanted to see the footage on the dashcam and to my amazement the dashcam was in a constant boot up loop. It loop shows the start up screen and then asks me to click the okay button right after the start up screen with the Garmin logo etc. When i click the okay button the screen goes black and it restarts. I've tried a few of the micro SD cards that I have (three in total) and the same thing happens. Today I bought a new 32gb micro SD card in the hope that the other cards may have been corrupt, but the same thing happens with the new card! I've connected it to the Garmin Express software via my Macbook and it says all is up-to-date. It's really puzzling me to why this had happened. Any ideas from anyone on how i can get the cam working again? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum Webseo69.

Some cameras have a small reset button in a little hole somewhere, you could try that if the Garmin have something like that.
The issue could be a case of a failing power supply, if the Garmin are USB power you could try and power it with a wall charger for a phone or something
It could also be the EMG power source that is failing, not sure of the Garmin have a battery for that or Capacitors.

I suppose it is the same if you power up the camera with no memory card in it.

Hi Kamkar, thanks for the reply. When i take the SD card out and power it up it lets me go a little further in the process but stops with the screen advising I insert a card. I've connected it to the laptop and also the wall with a USB to wall plug but it's still the same. There is no pin reset hole that i can see.

Back