Ford DC-U1-FG vs U1000

tph

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm a new dashcam user. I purchased a new Ford vehicle and also purchased a U1000 dashcam and installation. I've been reading as much as I can about the operation for several days now. I think I understand most aspects. I still have a few questions but my first one has to deal with the model name. The software recognizes it as a a DC-U1-FG. What the difference? I ask because the firmware is version 1.00.00. I tried downloading from Thinkware's website the latest firmware for the U1000 but it won't seem to install. I've tried doing it from the app while connected to dashcam in the car as well as tried putting it on the SD card from my computer. Both ways it will not update it. Does it have something to do with the model name it think's it is?

The reason I want to update the firmware is because at even the lowest setting in parking mode or continuous recoding, it thinks there is an event when opening the doors or when entering a driveway. I saw that in later firmware versions the reduced the sensitivity to help with this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

That link does not work for me?

that's strange it (still) works for me

try from here maybe: https://www.thinkware.com

then: support / download / F SERIES / DC-U1-FG

(it should be the same webite where you downloaded the firmware for the U1000 )

i do notice that under "F series" there are several strange camera names: DC-M1-FG, DC-H1-FG, DC-M2-FG...
Never seen those before and there only under "F"

I can reach the link you put up if I use a VPN and tell the computer I'm in France. Must be something with Thinkware.

Regardless, I have worked with Thinkware and they ultimately told me that the DC-UG-FG is a specific unit sold by Ford and it has it's own firmware, which the latest is 1.00.00. I'm no expert by 1.00.00 sounds like the first release of firmware... The unit is identical in every way and so is the software. It's crazy. The U1000 firmware will not work or even load on my unit. I've asked them what is the difference between the two units and they have yet to tell me. I'm guessing it is just so Ford can sell it for $700 instead of $429.

Strange, it's the link to the international website

i see the U1000 is at 1.00.18 and the DC at 1.00.00, so something must be different ..

Still doesn't explain why the camera won't update though.

can you maybe load the firmware on a small memory card that you format first?

I've tried it both ways. The device won't load the U1000 firmware because it thinks it is a DC-UG-FG which is unfortunate. Looking deeper there are several models that have a dealer counterpart that all have different firmware from their identical siblings.

Hold on: are you downloading the firmware for the U 1000 or for the DC-U1-FG

cos you should only use the latter. (which btw is 1.00.00, so it seems your camera is up to date hence why it won't update)

From the USA, the Thinkware site did not have the DC-U1-FG firmware on it. Thus I was trying the U1000 firmware because it is the same darn thing. But alas, after opening a case with Thinkware they acknowledged it is not the same thing (although it is really...) and they did not have the firmware for the DC-U1-FG on their site. The rep didn't even now what the DC-U1-FG was and had me do the U1000 firmware, which obviously did not work. They sent me the DC-UG-FG firmware (1.00.00) in an email and told me it was the latest which is what comes on it, thus yes, I'm at the latest. Essentially there have been no firmware updates for the DC-U1-FG as of yet. The also said they would put up the DC-U!-FG on their US support website which they have now done.

Bottom line, is there is not firmware updates for the DC-U1-FG which is unfortunate.

I know when Mercedes sold Thinkware Cameras (mainly F770 equivalent) that the camera was basically the same but they didn't allow parking mode so it was a 2 wire install and had different SW. I believe BMW do the same with their version of the U1000 too. I don't know factually as we as a Distributor have no dealings with OE Cameras. Does the Ford Version have parking recording?

You think they deleted the parkmode in order not to have battery complaints from customers ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L U1000 11
T U1000 3
H U1000 1
T U1000 2
R U1000 0
Back