GPS Coordinates showing China (I'm in the U.S.)

Zackw419

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm having an issue where my GPS coordinates are showing up as a location in China when I live in Texas.

These are the coordinates I'm looking at: N: 30.2027 W: 97.9852

Does anyone know why this is?

The GPS coordinates that you've listed are in Texas.

Latitude values North of the equator are expressed as positive numbers and South of the equator as negative numbers.

Longitude values West of the prime meridian are expressed as negative numbers and values East of the prime meridian are expressed in positive numbers.
  • N: 30.2027 W: 97.9852
    • That would be the same thing as 30.2027,-97.9852 which is located just to the west/southwest of Austin, TX.
    • The "N" for latitude makes the 30.2027 a positive number
    • The "W" for the longitude value makes it a negative number of -97.9852
      • If you leave the longitude value as a positive number (which is East of the prime meridian) that would be located in China.
1685687935345.png

Ahh, thank you very much. What I didn’t know is to put the “-“ before longitude.

You can also search with GPS coordinates on google maps, it is a bit funny though that entering your " wrong" coordinates google dont come up with a alternative, like it would do if you search for something but dont spell it right.

Austin thats just way too much of a town for me, even if i do like to say i have a Texan living deep down inside of me,,,, and that might actually be a Viking instead.
My town are 36,000 people and the #6 largest in Denmark, and thats plenty for me, so are looking to move to a lesser populated area.

Back