Hey Garmin, how about bringing back the motion detection to DC57?

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure what the thinking behind removing this from DC57 was, but I am seriously thinking going back to DC56. The impact (accelerator) detection is good only for detecting earthquakes.
Totally useless for parking mode.

As has been done with some other cams, I'd prefer a "low-bitrate" parking mode option as that it the only guaranteed way to capture every event without fail. No detection method can work as perfectly; there will always be times when it's too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Motion detect can be made to work well but it's not easy to do at that level,

Phil

It is working pretty much perfect on DC56.
I don't understand why they got rid of it.

It is working pretty much perfect on DC56.
I don't understand why they got rid of it.
I agree. As you probably already read I went back to the model 56. The model 57 had less of the features I utilized, the most important being the parked motion detection.

I've had a cam with near-perfect motion detect so I know how nice it is :) I'd trust that one but it also has LB which I trust a bit more ;) I do agree that the G-sensor in the 57 isn't good enough for small incidents you'd want to capture while parked; something should be done better here.

Phil

Last edited:
I've has a cam with near-perfect motion detect so I know how nice it is :) I'd trust that one but it also has LB which I trust a bit more ;) I do agree that the G-sensor in the 57 isn't good enough for small incidents you'd want to capture while parked; something should be done better here.

Phil
Hey Phil, What personal setup are you running? (Not for reviews but what you choose to go with.)

Agreed, I would love to have motion detection along with the remote connection/ Garmin vault of the new Garmins. My current solution is to use my cellular iPad Air (4th Gen) as the WiFi hotspot for my Garmin 67W and Mini 2. I literally have the Garmin App open/view the remote connection on my phone while I’m inside a store/restaurant in a semi-sketchy neighborhood. I’m going to get a better solution soon, which is to buy a hootie just to take to those neighborhoods… :p

Hey Phil, What personal setup are you running? (Not for reviews but what you choose to go with.)
Oh wow- sorry I didn't see the question sooner :(

It takes at least 6 cams to fully cover my van. I'm running 10 right now and still have blind spots because many of those are for testing and the 2 I'm lacking need a lot of work to install.

If I have to settle for "one" cam it would be the Viofo A139 3-channel. Totally reliable (with a card it likes), great 2K vid quality day and night, very good rear cam, excellent app and all the features for my purposes. The 'cabin' cam shows the rear flanks through windows so you get some side coverage too.

If I could have only one 'unit' and no separate rear cam the B2W served me well and is very good for a 1080p cam. The swiveling 'cabin' cam and front cam is awesome. Covers anything (just not 360 degrees all at once).

If it were only one single cam (God forbid! :eek:) it would be the old Mobius with supercaps simply because they do not die or fail to record ever. Or the A139 stripped bare and used solo.

Most of these mentioned cams were free for testing/review. Doesn't matter to me- I share what I find exactly (which has cost me a cam manufacturer or three who can't handle the truth :cautious:). There's several cams I'd like to try but don't have. Good simple cams start just under $50 and go up. It's all about what you want from your cam and how big your budget is.

Phil

Back