HK3 Fails! Just received my 3rd one, still failed. *** (Update) Finally fixed!***

Taz2022

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a Viofo A129 Pro Duo with HK3 hard wiring kit last year for my Silverado. It had few glitches here and there, but I was relatively content with the purchase. Decided to purchase another set for my Carrera. Verified it was working correctly and finished the installation (parking mode duration for 24 hours with 12.4V setting). Two days later when I start the car, I noticed that the camera won't boot up (keep in mind that my Carrera is hooked up to battery charger all the time). After several tries, I learned that only way for me to turn the camera on was to power cycle the HK3 on constant power fuse tap. I assumed parking mode duration dipped the power below the setting somehow (but how? It's on battery charger?), when measure the voltage on the fuse tap, it was pulling 12.6V. I tried the 11.8V setting and activated parking mode (set the duration for 12 hours this time) after another power cycle by pulling out the ignition key and walked away. Next morning, I observed that dashcam power is off (HK3 LED was also off). Measured the fuse tap and it was reading 12.5V. I reached out to the retailer (largest dashcam vendor in North America I am told), they 2nd day aired the replacement. Make the long story short, same thing. For some reason, HK3 will shut itself down (LED off) as if low voltage was triggered and won't power back up with ACC on (ignition). Called the retailer once again. They send another replacement. I have tried this unit too with new fuse tap I just purchased. Works fine, once goes into parking mode, come back, it is dead also. Regardless HK3 went into LVD shut down or not, fully charged battery should power this thing up, but only way I can get this thing started is to pull the fuse tap out and power cycle the unit. I am running out of ideas. Only thing I can think of is, Viofo experienced chip shortages and replaced components with unverified chips? I mean, how can all 3 units fail? The one I have purchased last year didn't have same issue? Bad mfg. batch of HK3? Am I only one who is having issues with HK3?

Last edited:
This is just a wild guess.......

I've read that some modern car CANBUS can detect additional load on a circuit and can shut down that circuit to protect it.

This is just a wild guess.......

I've read that some modern car CANBUS can detect additional load on a circuit and can shut down that circuit to protect it.
@Kremmen if that's the case, it should shut down consistantly. Once power cycled, it works as intended. Ignition on, camera powers up, ignition off, kicks into parking mode. But when it goes into parking mode, next day, LED light on HK3 is off, and dead. Ignition won't bring it back. Only way I can wake it up is to power cycle the HK3 (LED light turns on) and it works once again. Please note, that fuse tap pulls 12V+ consistently?

Last edited:
Interesting problem. I suppose a test wire to another fuse ?

What power fuse are you using ? If very low then the % hit will be larger than a high amp draw one.

Interesting problem. I suppose a test wire to another fuse ?

What power fuse are you using ? If very low then the % hit will be larger than a high amp draw one.
It's on 15A. Tried 30A and other fuse locations with verified constant power. I have tried all other options one could think of. About to tear out the one from my truck (that works) and try it on my Carrera. I avoided this because it is on ATM fuse tap and will require interior trim pieces that need to be removed (nightmare). Carrera uses ATO fuse size, which means I also have to purhcase another set online...

This sort of issue is why I opted to stick with my Nextbase 2 wire kit.

Fortunately I don't need parking mode.

This sort of issue is why I opted to stick with my Nextbase 2 wire kit.

Fortunately I don't need parking mode.
Just finished 'chat support' with one of Viofo representatives online. They will ship out new HK3 kit WITH fuse tap. My truck with A129 Pro Duo is working flawlessly (few glitches here and there, but working as intended). But I just can't comprehend why I am having issues with this new install. Bottomline is that somehow HK3 kit loses power (LED light goes out) when I turn my ignition on. And only way for me to bring back to life is to do a 'power cycle' by pulling constant power while my car is running. And it works fine afterwards. When I shut it down, it kicks into parking mode as intended. Runs full duration I set it at (even at 24 hours). After camera shuts down, I start my car, camera won't wake up. Another power cycle by pulling the fusetap while running the car, it powers back up. I am confused. I think HK3 kit's 'low voltage shutdown' gets triggered when I turn my ignition on and refuses to turn itself back on even at 14V+ power being supplied while engine is running. I am confused... The car has battery charger attached and always fully charges the battery so it shoudn't trigger low voltage shut down at all. Even if starter motor draws power below triggering voltage, HK3 should turn itself on right away sensing supplying voltage during start. Am I even thinking straight here?

Attachments

• 20220313_233240.jpg
    20220313_233240.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Ummm might sound strange but why dont you try to move the silverado setup to the other car and vice versa with the new setup moving to silverado... So that way when you put working unit in the carrera you will know the car infact is not the problem or maybe it will be the other way ...

Ummm might sound strange but why dont you try to move the silverado setup to the other car and vice versa with the new setup moving to silverado... So that way when you put working unit in the carrera you will know the car infact is not the problem or maybe it will be the other way ...
Yep, that's logical next step which I tried to avoid. I was thinking what are the odds of getting HK3s that are all failing? The Silverado uses micro-fuse-tap and I need to pick up some ATO-fuse-taps to test it out. Damn... Removing all trim pieces, zip ties, etc... I thought getting the replacement was easier way out. I have done some further testing. So basically, I think parking mode continues to drain the battery below the triggering voltage setting instead of shutting down. At some point, HK3 LED light goes out, and only way to start the camera is to power cycle the unit by pulling out the constant power fuse-tap while engine is running (14V+). I expected ignition would turn on the HK3, but that wasn't the case. Perhaps starter motor is pulling more power than what camera needs to start? Now, I do have a battery charger attached... Perhaps that's causing HK3 to ignore the triggering voltage? I will keep you posted with outcome...

***Update***

The replacement unit from VIOFO support team finally worked! This was 4th try! The cam wakes up as designed when engine cranks up and goes into parking mode when ignition is off. No power cycle needed. I strongly believe bad batch of HK3 were manufactured and shipped to the distributor. I have changed nothing. Same install, on same fuse slots, and on same car battery. I am just glad that I finally get to use the camera as intended.

***Update***

The replacement unit from VIOFO support team finally worked! This was 4th try! The cam wakes up as designed when engine cranks up and goes into parking mode when ignition is off. No power cycle needed. I strongly believe bad batch of HK3 were manufactured and shipped to the distributor. I have changed nothing. Same install, on same fuse slots, and on same car battery. I am just glad that I finally get to use the camera as intended.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm wondering, is there a change in the circuit board design? (Or in its programming?)

Last edited:
Thats nice to hear.
Glad you dident flame out as so many would have in a seeming endless problem like you experienced.
Also glad Viofo stuck to their guns and saw this thru to the end.

I'm wondering, is there a change in the circuit board design? (Or it programming?)
A lot of things could have happened here, remind me of the recent extremely high end / very expensive GFX card issue with boards dying left and right, turned out to be a component put on in the wrong way, so it still worked to some degree but would eventually fail

I have the exact same problem. Looks like a bad batch. Emailed VIOFO for a replacement.

Same issue for me too. Viofo is sending me out a new kit. Looks like there was a bad batch in early 2022 that is causing these issues.

Back