Initial installation of hard wiring

Cottc Cid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I recently picked up a Lukas LK-7950 and I have not managed to get it to turn on yet. I hooked the black wire up to a ground bolt, then got a fuse tap kit (hooked up to my cigarette lighter fuse), and connected the red ACC wire to it. My understanding is that the yellow BATT wire is just for external batteries? I was not planning on using one, so I don't have it connected to anything. However, it does not turn on, so clearly I am doing something wrong. I'd like to set it to always on so I can use it for parking mode.

Won't run without the yellow wire connected...you'll have one connected to ground...one to an acc fuse....only on when the switch is on...and one connected to an "always on" fuse....it won't work correctly otherwise.

Won't run without the yellow wire connected...you'll have one connected to ground...one to an acc fuse....only on when the switch is on...and one connected to an "always on" fuse....it won't work correctly otherwise.
So two fuse taps, then? Have a recommendation for an always on fuse and an ACC fuse? I am assuming the cigarette lighter is always on.

So two fuse taps, then? Have a recommendation for an always on fuse and an ACC fuse? I am assuming the cigarette lighter is always on.

I find fuse taps/Add-a-fuse aren't really necessary on most cars. On my girlfriend's Camry the fuse panel cover wouldn't close with the fuse tap in place.
What car is this on? It really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer/model to model

The cigarette lighter...sometimes its on...sometimes its not..as far as recommending a particular fuse, I dont. I do recommend testing the fuse with a meter...if you dont know how, then pick up a automotive 12 volt circuit tester...wal-mart for under $10 bucks or any automotive store. Super easy to use, looks like a screw driver with a light bulb inside of the handle. You ground the tester...touch it to the fuse while the car is off...if it lights up...its a always on fuse. Its worth the time to do it right...instead of twice the time of doing it over.

I find fuse taps/Add-a-fuse aren't really necessary on most cars. On my girlfriend's Camry the fuse panel cover wouldn't close with the fuse tap in place.

The fuse taps are not necessary...buy they are SMART. My fuse panel wont click back into place either...doesn't bother me a bit, doesn't cause a safety issue. What DOES cause a safety issue and a reliability issue is not using a tap or a secure connection. Wrapping the wire around a fuse leg is the quickest way to cause a poor connection...poor connections result in electrical shorts, burned up electronics, a dash cam that was supposed to record that didn't record. I strongly recommend a fuse tap.

I do recommend testing the fuse with a meter...if you dont know how, then pick up a automotive 12 volt circuit tester...wal-mart for under $10 bucks or any automotive store. Super easy to use, looks like a screw driver with a light bulb inside of the handle. You ground the tester...touch it to the fuse while the car is off...if it lights up...its a always on fuse. Its worth the time to do it right...instead of twice the time of doing it over..

don't do that, get a multimeter instead, not a lot different in price anyway but a test light can cause damage in some vehicles

Welp, good news/bad news. I got the yellow wire hooked to keyless entry (That's always on, right!) and it turned on! I hooked it up, plugged in the rear camera, hide the wires in behind the dash, and-

It won't turn on anymore, at any setting. Any ideas? I thought maybe I might have broken one of the crimps when I was hiding the wires behind the dash, but they all look fine. None of the fuses are blown.

Confirm your ground is good...dont connect a ground wire to a painted surface...ensure that the connections are good.. then start considering faulty parts or wires. If it worked before and now doesnt, likely you just have a bad connection somewhere or something is not tight.

Confirm your ground is good...dont connect a ground wire to a painted surface...ensure that the connections are good.. then start considering faulty parts or wires. If it worked before and now doesnt, likely you just have a bad connection somewhere or something is not tight.
Hi Daleg, I have two brand new LK-7950 WD. One has GPS. I had a registered auto electrician run the wiring and initially the first unit (without GPS) ran until I got home. Then when I started the car again it would not power on. I hadn't removed the SD cards or unplugged it. I took it back and the electrician basically did nothing and it started! Feeling a fool I drove to work and turned it off, brought it to my PC and removed the SD cards and played the videos on my Laptop. Then I put the cards back in and hooked it up to the car with the power off, started the car, turned on the switch to ACC- nothing. switch to ON, again nothing. Changed the unit for the other new one (which has GPS). Nothing. Now I can't get either to start. Checked there is power coming from the plug in the car. Even set up a 12v power pack on my office desk and manually wired to the Lukas power cables for the unit. Nothing. I'm a computer technician and electronics hobbyist and I am stumped.
I've removed both SD cards and the WIFI USB dongle-. Nothing. Do these units go in to some sort of reset mode? Do I have to hard format both SD cards as I've read somewhere else?
Getting desperate as I wanted to install the GPS model into my wife's car but not if I can't get either one going!
Any help GREATLY appreciated.
Brett

Hi all,
found the problem. Using a 12v plug pack I connected the yellow and red wires together to the 12v positive and black to negative. Both units work perfectly. So it's back to the Auto Electrician as there is obviously something in the wiring he's put in the car....

Back