MP4 or TS format files?

HypnoToad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently installed this camera and it's working great.

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on using either TS or MP4 formatted video files?

According to the manual 'TS format is better to avoid file corruption', but I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to using TS files?

I did try searching this forum, but it didn't seem to work when searching for 'TS'.

Thanks

The TS format does not include GPS metadata (for later viewing); Unlike the MP4 format.
Also the TS format has extra overhead, so your file size will be bigger.
However since it is a format intended to be viewed even when parts of the video are corrupted, if your SD card is faulty this can help recover corrupted video.

If you have a proper fast and error prone SD card you should be safe to use the MP4 format.

Hi,

I've recently installed this camera and it's working great.

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on using either TS or MP4 formatted video files?

According to the manual 'TS format is better to avoid file corruption', but I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to using TS files?

I did try searching this forum, but it didn't seem to work when searching for 'TS'.

Thanks

Personally I think all dashcams should have the option to record in .TS This format prevents the loss of video even if the dashcam has a catastrophe, eg Just stops working without a clean shutdown..

In Dashcams they do store the gps information in the TS files. When you place these videos on many video players like VLC you can see the GPS information on the screen.

If you are using a program that can display your location while watching like Dashcam Viewer you can watch your car moving on a google or MapQuest map in real time.

Video capture with .TF container showing GPS info.png
Screen capture of video recorded with .TF format

The TS format does not include GPS metadata (for later viewing); Unlike the MP4 format.

The TS format/file contained in it can include GPS information. Perhaps not in Metadata but certainly in the file.
It can easily be viewed using VLC media player.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like TS files may be the way to go for me.

I'd rather go for the most reliable option possible, so if the camera was damaged in a crash, if the SD card is OK, the footage would be more likely to be available.

As for the extra GPS info that's embedded in the files, I'll try both filetypes in the dashcam viewer software and see what is and isn't avaliable.

Back