OBD Power supply

Journeyman

Reaction score
Country
Australia
EDIT: With 100+ views & no response I'm guessing this is in wrong forum. :D Noobs... right? :D

In researching I found several people who suggest OBD2 connector as alternative to either hard wire or power pack supply.

The cam I am considering is the Viofo T130 & the idea of a plug-in option for power seems ideal, particularly as they come with a switch to do either Acc mode or longer term supply. The long term one apparently cuts supply when battery gets to 11.6V which doesn't sound any good for long term parking but would cover almost all I would normally expect to use it for. (shopping, having a meal etc. - maybe a couple of hours or so)

Any 'gotchas' using OBD2 connectors? I'm presuming the cam will not register anything different to a hardwire - could the OBD2 doing the cutoff cause an issue with cam setup? (as in maybe it doesn't shut down properly or maybe corrupts the microSD or something?)

Other than that I'd be looking at the fuse connector method - my car is getting on a bit so I don't really want to hardwire into the engine bay.

Or is the hardwire option always to the fuse box? Maybe I better go look at the HK4 kit... :D

Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back