SG9665GC Files

I really think its somthing with your car since its the same with 2 cameras, perhaps the easy solution is to tap into the fuse box and have yet another socket to plug in.
Then again it is allso strange the G1W dont seem to be influenced by this gremlin.

Might be remembering wrong with the 0 second boot delay, on top of my head i would set it to the lowest setting.

I really think its somthing with your car since its the same with 2 cameras, perhaps the easy solution is to tap into the fuse box and have yet another socket to plug in....

I'm sure it's something with the way my car handles the RAP. I already have 2 lighter sockets and 2 USB sockets, don't need any more. I haven't tried using the USB sockets because I vaguely remember reading somewhere that on my car they only provide 0.3A of output.

Then again it is allso strange the G1W dont seem to be influenced by this gremlin.....

I'm not for 2 reasons: 1) the G1W is battery not capacitor and 2) by design it continues to record for about 10 seconds after power is lost so it's operating completely different than the GC

Might be remembering wrong with the 0 second boot delay, on top of my head i would set it to the lowest setting.

EU versions may be different than NA? I've run the testing with both 5 and 15 second boot delay.

-----------------------------------------------

As you suggested I tried various scenarios using a USB power pack and I could not replicate the 'problem' - confirms that it's something with my car.

My power pack has an on/off switch so the tests I ran were:

1) Power off with switch, wait for GC to shut down, power back on.
2) Power off with switch, turn back on while GC was still recording last file.
3) Pull power cord, wait for GC to shut down, plug cord back in.
4) Pull power cord, plug back in while GC was still recording last file.

In all 4 cases no 'short' files were created.

I think it will relate to the shutdown delay rather than the boot delay, we have that hard coded though, its not user adjustable, will have to look into it a bit deeper to see how it can be improved

I think this is a one size fit all product, and it shouldent be any other way :)
Still strange the way it play ball with your car :rolleyes: i wonder if you could go to the dealer and have the socket reprogrammed to just work like a regular socket and not have that delay you mention.

Maybe worth a call to the dealer ? i think i have seen it mentiond here that it can some times be done, at least changing a allways on socket to just on when car is on.

... i wonder if you could go to the dealer and have the socket reprogrammed to just work like a regular socket and not have that delay you mention...
It's not just the one socket but all the accessory circuits (radio, lighter sockets, power windows, etc.) where power is retained. Worth looking into though to see if it can be disabled and whether it makes a difference. Something for tomorrow...

I think it will relate to the shutdown delay rather than the boot delay, we have that hard coded though, its not user adjustable, will have to look into it a bit deeper to see how it can be improved
I don't think it worth expending a lot of effort on this, unless you feel it may affect something else as well.

For me it's, at worse, a minor annoyance - nothing more. I have a work around, open door before turning ignition off, if it really begins to bother me. I'll continue trying other things as they occur to me on the off chance it may shed more light on the subject.

On to something more positive I'd like to congratulate Street Guardian on being able to overcome the laws of physics. My G1W-H is advertised as being 160° viewing angle while the GC is 135° yet in side-by-side tests the GC looks to be a few degrees wider than the G1W-H. Good job S.G. :D;)

(Yes, I know the 160° claim is the marketing folks taking liberty with the specs.)

I like to make a habit of providing actual specifications, even if that doesn't look as good on paper

Going to mention it to the Registrator Viewer devs and see what they say about how the files are stitched together and if this can be accommodated somehow

I like to make a habit of providing actual specifications, even if that doesn't look as good on paper

Thus you have a good reputation around here.

...Going to mention it to the Registrator Viewer devs and see what they say about how the files are stitched together and if this can be accommodated somehow

Again I don't feel it's necessary as that last extraneous 1 second file has nothing of value in it - unless there are other conditions that might trigger the same results.

Thinking about this (and not knowing how the RAP feature actually works, or the GC shutdown logic either) I wonder if it's something along the line of when the ignition is turned off accessory power drops momentarily and then comes back on as RAP activates. This could fool the GC into starting a shutdown sequence and then coming back up into live mode and then going back into shutdown mode because the door opened and accessory power is really dropped.

If the door is already open when the ignition is turned off RAP is never activated so this kind of make sense to me, and the theory fits with what is actually happening.

This is something I can maybe play around with a bit tomorrow. I'm thinking turning the ignition off but leave the door closed so the car stays in RAP mode for a few minutes. In that scenario if my theory is correct I'd expect to see 2 files created with a 3 to 4 second gap between time stamps as the GC goes into shutdown mode and then comes back up.

It's getting late and I was up early this morning so it's off to bed now...

I need to look into it further, just out with the family today, have my nephew's wedding tomorrow and flying to China on Monday morning so it might be a few days before I get a chance but will look into it

I need to look into it further, just out with the family today, have my nephew's wedding tomorrow and flying to China on Monday morning so it might be a few days before I get a chance but will look into it
Yes, you deserve a few days away from the 'office' - enjoy them.

Whatever testing I do I'll post on this thread and you can do what you want when it's convenient. As I said before it's not a big issue at all, but now my I.T. background is kicking in and my curiosity is the driving force at the moment.

OK, I had the brilliant idea of putting my in-line USB meter ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00L1V82I4 ) between the 12v/5v adapter and the camera to see if there was a voltage drop when the ignition was switched off. Not only is there a drop but, low and behold, the outlet shuts down completely for about 1 second after the ignition is switched off and before RAP kicks in and restores it. When I say shuts down completely I'm talking about 0.00 volts.

See this video -

At the start of the clip the car is already running. It has push button start so when you hear the word 'off' is when I push the button to shut off the ignition.

The video is 30fps and stepping through there are 34 frames from the time the display begins to fade until power is restored, and 53 frames until it's up to 5+ volts.

:eek: i knew there was somthing fishy with that car ;)

how the files are stitched together and if this can be accommodated somehow

Removing stuff and then Stiching and/or even adding blank segments is paramount to me and as I'v said before, VideoRedo does it seamlessly for me in multiple formats.

Back