The ONE time I needed my cam to work... it failed.

My take is.
It its a minor thing, no problem hitting the button.
Some cameras actually save 2 whole segments from each camera, in which case you dont even have to "race " to the event button, but can pull over, light up a ciggy, curse the other guy and then press the button, but sadly that is not a trend but i really like that feature in now vanishing Street Guardian products.

If its a BIG thing, well car is not going anywhere and at least here first responders is taught to turn off vehicle, so footage would be there as regular files.
And i doubt that i could go BIG ( pretending Denmark are not flat as a pancake ) that i could get shunted down some ravine / mountain side, and end up there camera still powered but me unconscious or dead, but even so i would have to sit there for many many hours before the card are full and get back around to recycling the accident footage.
And of course no one would see it / react to it.

The occasional in camera format are still a recommended exercise, though i must admit it is rare i do it often, also with test cameras well i run my suite of memory cards thru them, and with my amount of driving and 256 GB cards, that almost take a whole year.
But every 3 month or so should be fine, though as you mention with the RO memory space, if you have a lot of activity there more often might be a idea.

For the little share stuff i have also made it a rule to when i have pressed the button say out loud why i did so, CUZ when you come for the footage many weeks later, it is not always obvious why you pressed the button.
Also the photo many systems also snap in that moment a good marker to dial you in on the event itself.

Some also recommend having a spare memory card in the car, and sure its not a bad idea, but then again how often do you have a reasonable event, and you are still going to drive on after things have been sorted.
In that case a press of the event button should be fine.

But. if you like me have old worn out memory goo between the ears, well you will probably forget to bring the memory card you had in the computer to pull footage, and so its nice to be able to put in a spare card.
Even if you are a addict like me and have 2 other systems on the windscreen that record everything, CUZ in spite of that i do not like have a system sitting idle.

@kamkar, your technique of speaking out loud why you pressed the save event button is excellent. I already say license plate numbers out loud to capture them on audio when something sketchy happens, don't know why that never occurred to me. I don't use Viofo cams or save event buttons, but my sons do, so thanks!

I use large capacity cards to avoid having important stuff overwritten right away as well. Carry three spares in each car, and rotate and format them every 90 days like clockwork. All techniques I learned here...

And we'll likely never know if the OP got his problem solved. He did the standard join up, ask a question, and disappear the next day never to be seen again maneuver.

And we'll likely never know if the OP got his problem solved. He did the standard join up, ask a question, and disappear the next day never to be seen again maneuver.

It's remarkable how often that happens here. Just a week ago, someone asked a question about converting sound files which I took the time to respond to but since then they've never bothered to log in again to see the answer.

Another thing that happens is that I'll receive a PM from someone I don't know asking a complicated question which on a number of occasions I've taken the time to compose a lengthy thorough answer to only to have that member not even bother to reply back with any follow-up or perhaps maybe say thanks. They got the information or solution they were looking for and so they just blow it off. So, now I rarely respond to such requests and simply suggest they post their question to the public forum.

Back