Thinkware U3000 Wireless Apple Carplay does not allow you to view videos

Did it used to work before?

I find that CarPlay aggressively tries to hold onto the WiFi connection and so it causes an issue with most any WiFi related apps/tasks. I also sometimes have issues moving out of my car and switching to AirPods to continue listening to a podcast or something.

To be fair, I've got an aftermarket wireless CarPlay dongle that plugs into my car's USB port and so I don't know if it's CarPlay related or something specific with that dongle. For that reason I often have to physically unplug the dongle to ensure that I get access to WiFi on my phone. (I've done it so much that I've broken one of the two USB ports in my car and it's a very expensive repair unfortunately.)

Do you have other WiFi apps that work fine even when using a native wireless CarPlay solution? or is it limited to Thinkware's app for you and just with the latest version of the app?

I'm working on a video now from Thinkware at SEMA and they're adding Bluetooth to many of their newer models specifically to help with this. Because Apple CarPlay / Android Auto does conflict with connecting over WiFi, connecting over BT allows you to do some basic settings adjustments without having to rely on WiFi at all. Higher bandwidth stuff though still requires WiFi of course.

Last edited:
It's Wireless CarPlay's protocol to always take priority when it comes to the phone's Wi-Fi connection.

I have always had to disconnect wireless carplay to even connect to my U1000. My aftermarket head unit allows me to turn it off while the car is on and sometimes I have had to do this too cause it connects so damn quickly!

I have always had to disconnect wireless carplay to even connect to my U1000. My aftermarket head unit allows me to turn it off while the car is on and sometimes I have had to do this too cause it connects so damn quickly!
Yes U1000 works that way

It's Wireless CarPlay's protocol to always take priority when it comes to the phone's Wi-Fi connection.
I understand but something has changed.

Did it used to work before?

I find that CarPlay aggressively tries to hold onto the WiFi connection and so it causes an issue with most any WiFi related apps/tasks. I also sometimes have issues moving out of my car and switching to AirPods to continue listening to a podcast or something.

To be fair, I've got an aftermarket wireless CarPlay dongle that plugs into my car's USB port and so I don't know if it's CarPlay related or something specific with that dongle. For that reason I often have to physically unplug the dongle to ensure that I get access to WiFi on my phone. (I've done it so much that I've broken one of the two USB ports in my car and it's a very expensive repair unfortunately.)

Do you have other WiFi apps that work fine even when using a native wireless CarPlay solution? or is it limited to Thinkware's app for you and just with the latest version of the app?

I'm working on a video now from Thinkware at SEMA and they're adding Bluetooth to many of their newer models specifically to help with this. Because Apple CarPlay / Android Auto does conflict with connecting over WiFi, connecting over BT allows you to do some basic settings adjustments without having to rely on WiFi at all. Higher bandwidth stuff though still requires WiFi of course.
This was a new installation. But on prior vehicles it worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom