Typical video storage before overwrite?

You can't have too much memory space or too many cams. And along with spare cards (which are a common failure point) some of us have a spare cam complete and ready to stick in whichever window it is needed at. Overkill? Maybe, but only until you need it, and then it becomes smart :cool: If you have fewer spare cards than cams and the cams differ, pre-format the card(s) to something that every cam will accept, then do an in-cam formatting when you need the extra memory time.

FWIW I have discovered that cards formatted for my Mobius in FAT32 will work in all my cams as-is, even without an in-cam formatting, while trying that with other cams and PC formatting programs doesn't work equally well. Not sure the reason, only sure of the effect ;) That way I can have one spare card ready for the 3 different types of cams onboard the workvan. I still format in-cam, but if a cam button goes wonky along with the card, I'm still in business :) And the spare cam has a Mobius-formatted card in it too- just plug and play.

Too bad Micro-SD is so darn expensive right now but it still costs less than needing it and not having it. Good cards last years which makes them worth their price. CYOA well and you won't have problems :):D

Phil

You can't have too much memory space or too many cams. And along with spare cards (which are a common failure point) some of us have a spare cam complete and ready to stick in whichever window it is needed at. Overkill? Maybe, but only until you need it, and then it becomes smart:cool: If you have fewer spare cards than cams and the cams differ, pre-format the card(s) to something that every cam will accept, then do an in-cam formatting when you need the extra memory time.

FWIW I have discovered that cards formatted for my Mobius in FAT32 will work in all my cams as-is, even without an in-cam formatting, while trying that with other cams and PC formatting programs doesn't work equally well. Not sure the reason, only sure of the effect ;) That way I can have one spare card ready for the 3 different types of cams onboard the workvan. I still format in-cam, but if a cam button goes wonky along with the card, I'm still in business :) And the spare cam has a Mobius-formatted card in it too- just plug and play.

Too bad Micro-SD is so darn expensive right now but it still costs less than needing it and not having it. Good cards last years which makes them worth their price. CYOA well and you won't have problems :):D

Phil

Good advice. Thanks.

There's an idea, I suppose I can take the 32GB out of the A118 as an extra bit of storage for a full route. In my line of work, I sometimes have to show an continuious video of my drive, to show that I didn't make detours, unlogged/unjustified stops, etc.

I never need more than a day. It's the ability to look back at the entire day at the end of that day that I want. I don't store much long term. Only for accidents and anything interesting. I enable protection on the clips related to events while on the roadside (on the camera), and retrieve at home later. For the times I need to record a whole route, I pull the card and download to my laptop computer mid-day. What get's submitted is lower resolution and bit rate, but I keep the camera at max setting for the protecting in the event of an accident. It's an awkward process, but works when I need it.

I just assumed this model (SG9663DC) has a feature to tag/enable write protection to certain clips. Is this not a standard feature on dashcams?

I like your drive video. Mine isn't as high quality (EDIT: nor as interesting), but here you go:

i remember you posting this once, was this is that little suziki thing of yours?? lucky the lady was out of the way in time

Back