Viofo A229 Pro vs Blackvue DR970X Plus vS Thinkware U3000 vs Vueroid D21 4K

Nicely done! Thanks so much for all your hard work with this comparison. What are your thoughts overall so far with the D21?

I like seeing another IMX678 dashcam like this. The license plate capture seems pretty good too. 1080p for the rear, but HDR in both directions.

Cool to see the low power parking recording option too. It draws just 2mA in that mode, compared to the U3000 doing 7mA in energy saving mode or 14 mA with radar enabled, so even lower power draw and longer parking record times. Looks like the wakeup time is longer than the U3000 when it detects an impact and it also lacks cloud features, but it is looking like another contender overall.

Nicely done! Thanks so much for all your hard work with this comparison. What are your thoughts overall so far with the D21?

I like seeing another IMX678 dashcam like this. The license plate capture seems pretty good too. 1080p for the rear, but HDR in both directions.

Cool to see the low power parking recording option too. It draws just 2mA in that mode, compared to the U3000 doing 7mA in energy saving mode or 14 mA with radar enabled, so even lower power draw and longer parking record times. Looks like the wakeup time is longer than the U3000 when it detects an impact and it also lacks cloud features, but it is looking like another contender overall.
Thanks.

I think overall the Vueroid covers a gap that Thinkware and Viofo are not covering. Low energy consumption impact only parking mode with HDR and the 2ma current draw. A lot of customers are always looking for these features as they do not want to spend extra money for a battery pack and are always worried about battery dieing. Plus it has HDR which the U3000 was lacking.

I think it will become a popular name in a few months. But right now people will become cautious. Which is funny because people will buy an IZEEKER or other random no name brands all because AMAZON gives them a Amazons choice badge.

My next dashcam will be a Guffelblarb. ( me making fun on very many funny / strange name dashcam brands )

I am always open to trying something new, and the early adopter tax some will often talk about i cant really say i have experienced.
I am pretty sure there will not be a new brand that just drop like a stone onto the market, and displace all the old players,,,,,, okay there are probably a few that think this, but IRL that's not going to happen.
I am looking to buy a new rifle, from a new brand that made 0 rifles before, fortunately initial documentation seem to indicate it is a move i can do with not too much danger, which is nice CUZ it is a substantial investment, so large i will probably have to offload 1-2 older rifles later in the year.

Mind you i have turned down a few small brands down that have contacted me in here over the years, for the most me saying " i dont really do reviews " will kill interest in me.

BTW.
Wouldn't it be fair to say Thinkware and Blackvue also memory card fussy ?
Also Thinkware rear camera radar issue on Vertical rear windows i think should have been mentioned.

Hehe yeah that was a waste, i feel so sorry for the poor bastards that signed up for several of those.
Okay testing the Zenfox T3, that was also harder than the average dashcam.
But i was manly thinking about all the years i messed with computer hardware and so changing hardware more often than regular people, then again for me too on the PC i was OK with Windows me and Vista too, only really got BSOD and so on when i had been too naughty in regedit, mixed with copious amounts of overclocking.

Hehe yeah that was a waste, i feel so sorry for the poor bastards that signed up for several of those.
Okay testing the Zenfox T3, that was also harder than the average dashcam.
But i was manly thinking about all the years i messed with computer hardware and so changing hardware more often than regular people, then again for me too on the PC i was OK with Windows me and Vista too, only really got BSOD and so on when i had been too naughty in regedit, mixed with copious amounts of overclocking.

Yeah, anyone who has been around dash cams long enough has encountered a few stinkers, especially back in the day.
As for overclocking computers, anything that goes south on you is basically self inflicted and not an early adopter thing.

hehe yeah, i have been good at this self-destructive behaviour for a while. Today far from as bad as it have been decades ago.
I have not bothered with stuff like that for 10 - 12 years or so, not really any gain these days, also what i do with my computer these days, i could do just fine with a 10 year old quad core CPU.

Yeah, anyone who has been around dash cams long enough has encountered a few stinkers, especially back in the day.
As for overclocking computers, anything that goes south on you is basically self inflicted and not an early adopter thing.
Must be the ADHD kicking in, because suddenly he's replying to the dashcam topic you are referring to, the next second he's banging on about custom PC builds :ROFLMAO:

My next dashcam will be a Guffelblarb. ( me making fun on very many funny / strange name dashcam brands )
Never heard of the brand. Always interested in learning more though.

Vueroid is huge in Asia and as the market is maximizing there. Dash Cam manufacturers are looking to expand into new countries. Hence what Vueroid is doing, IROAD as well over the past few years, GNET, FineVu as of recent as well.

Seeing the video and the fact the vueroid is 12 V input, i wonder if it is a Korean brand or maybe Japanese, the Chinese seem to favor the 5 V approach to power.
Never the less dont look bad, but i feel it is priced a little wrong ( high ) all things considered.
While i do myself consider the rear camera to be secondary, in this day and age i would prefer it to be 1440p

Seeing the video and the fact the vueroid is 12 V input, i wonder if it is a Korean brand or maybe Japanese, the Chinese seem to favor the 5 V approach to power.
Never the less dont look bad, but i feel it is priced a little wrong ( high ) all things considered.
While i do myself consider the rear camera to be secondary, in this day and age i would prefer it to be 1440p
What does a battery pack cost? Because if you want parking mode for extended periods of time it will cost you at least $400 USD.

2ma of current or 380ma of current which would you choose? All depends on the lifestyle. A lot of our customers want the low current draw impact only setting. Car battery replacement costs have been skyrocketing in last few years.

A lot of dash cameras on the market have no timer mode, low battery protection below 12 volts and they all like to advertise 24 hour parking mode.

The only true dash cameras that will last 24 hours without a battery pack are as follows that I have tested and are relevant
Thinkware U3000 (Energy Saving Mode) 7ma - 1 second after impact
Thinkware U3000 (Radar Mode) 10-14ma Dependent on where you park
Vueroid D21 4K (Energy Saving Mode) 2ma - 2 seconds after impact
Thinkware F790 (Energy Saving Mode) 18ma - 3 seconds after impact
Fine Vu(need to verify model #) (Energy Saving Mode) 2ma - 4 seconds after impact

Most other dash cameras on the market are irrelevant unless you have a battery pack. Or draw too much current.

Also to add some dash cameras will have 2-6 seconds of quick impact detection after impact in Energy Saving Mode like for instance
70Mai A810 and Thinkware F200 Pro are at approx 110ma
Even the Vantrue N4Pro with there 6 second after impact jumps up to approx 110ma. They do have one that is 10ma but it takes 12 seconds to wake up and start recording.

If Viofo had an impact detection dash camera that drew very low current I would value their dash camera higher but we have to look at technology and not just rear camera resolution.

Just my thoughts

I am very happy i do not feel a need for " permanent " parking guard use, so the 3 hours on timer i use, or if no timer there 12.4 volt cut off is fine.
There is for sure brands / models that are much better for parking guard use than others, both in regard to the modes available, and the power use.

When i can not find low bitrate option in a camera i am a bit lost, in those cases i tend to test / run 2 systems with parking guard at the same time, CUZ i dont have much faith in other modes.

I do wish i had a power pack, but seemingly not so much i would steer my savings towards that, CUZ that is going elsewhere.

Back