VS1 first impressions & appreciation

tomerrr

Reaction score
Country
Israel
after (too) many years with Mobius dashcams, and waiting for a proper minimalistic dashcam , I go on the forums and find there's a new Viofo that looks exactly like what I was looking for.
quick phone call to a friend who's a professional custom car audio installer that says he installed dozens of Viofo dashcams, with zero issues from customers as far as he knows.
got it installed yesterday with the parking kit and i couldn't be more happier - everything just works perfectly .
maybe it's just me entering the "modern dashcam" era, but over the years i spent hours "fighting" with the Mobius Maxi just to adjust settings over wifi in the app without it freezing as it's getting too hot, it simply stops recording for unknown reason, or even the last issue i experienced where it was blinking to show it's recording , but it really wasn't as the SD card became old and faulty. and the list goes on.

back to the VS1 - clear voice notifications, so simple and clever! i was pleasantly shocked after the install, to turn off the ignition and hear "parking mode enabled", because that's just what I needed to know at that moment.
video quality wise, i can only compare to the Maxi (2k) and it's on a whole different level. I checked the recordings after a 20 minutes drive in the city at night to find I could easily read license plates and everything looks so clear.
another small surprise happened when I went to a gas station that was pretty empty and the gas station attendant opened the fuel door without asking me (as it was self service), and the camera locked the video.
also attempted to take photos while driving using the voice command - which worked pretty well, though i had to repeat twice the command (my voice is not the strongest).

i think the only thing i would add (software wise), is a feature to temporarily disable parking mode with a voice command

anyway, good work Viofo!

Last edited:
i can only compare to the Maxi (2k) and it's on a whole different level. I checked the recordings after a 20 minutes drive in the city at night to find I could easily read license plates and everything looks so clear.
Yes, Sony Starvis 2 image sensors, with good HDR from Viofo, has made a big difference :)

You probably want to get the new CPL-400 now, for an even better image quality in sunshine, assuming you have some windscreen reflections:

^^ yea it's already in my AE shopping cart :))

after (too) many years with Mobius dashcams, and waiting for a proper minimalistic dashcam , I go on the forums and find there's a new Viofo that looks exactly like what I was looking for.
quick phone call to a friend who's a professional custom car audio installer that says he installed dozens of Viofo dashcams, with zero issues from customers as far as he knows.
got it installed yesterday with the parking kit and i couldn't be more happier - everything just works perfectly .
maybe it's just me entering the "modern dashcam" era, but over the years i spent hours "fighting" with the Mobius Maxi just to adjust settings over wifi in the app without it freezing as it's getting too hot, it simply stops recording for unknown reason, or even the last issue i experienced where it was blinking to show it's recording , but it really wasn't as the SD card became old and faulty. and the list goes on.

back to the VS1 - clear voice notifications, so simple and clever! i was pleasantly shocked after the install, to turn off the ignition and hear "parking mode enabled", because that's just what I needed to know at that moment.
video quality wise, i can only compare to the Maxi (2k) and it's on a whole different level. I checked the recordings after a 20 minutes drive in the city at night to find I could easily read license plates and everything looks so clear.
another small surprise happened when I went to a gas station that was pretty empty and the gas station attendant opened the fuel door without asking me (as it was self service), and the camera locked the video.
also attempted to take photos while driving using the voice command - which worked pretty well, though i have to repeat twice the command (my voice is not the strongest).

i think the only thing i would add (software wise), is a feature to temporarily disable parking mode with a voice command

anyway, good work Viofo!
Thanks for your high praise of our products. About disabling the parking mode, maybe this will be realized with the Bluetooth button.

Thanks for your high praise of our products. About disabling the parking mode, maybe this will be realized with the Bluetooth button.
could you detail more about this? i would definitely get the Bluetooth button if this was an option

could you detail more about this? i would definitely get the Bluetooth button if this was an option
The Bluetooth button is quite nice to have for locking videos, if you are not into using voice commands.

Having it change function to Parking Mode On|Off if the ignition is off would be nice.
Although maybe having the Microphone button change to Parking Mode On|Off if the ignition is off might work?

Unless Viofo gives more information, it might be sensible to wait before buying the button, in case it needs more than just a firmware update...

could you detail more about this?
I think Viofo-Support is talking about the upcoming "new" 2-Button Bluetooth Remote.
I don’t have any details on how it functions.
I’m guessing the “extra” button can be programed for various tasks.
1.) Acting as a power button to turn off the camera to disable parking mode.
2.) Enable / Disable HDR
3.) Enable / Disable Wi-Fi
4.) Enable / Disable Microphone
5.) IR LED’s On / Off / Auto
Etc.

Back