3840x1600p 4k recording

Jamers99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A139 Pro
I selected this 1600p recording since it appears to use the least amount of bandwidth (data storage) in a 2 channel setup. Am I correct that this setting would reduce the file size? Would it also reduce the heat generated by the unit since it may be less processor intensive? I have the bandwidth setting on Normal by the way. Would there be a compelling reason to increase the setting for better recording quality? I know these things get pretty hot so I don't want to stress the components.

Does anyone use this resolution setting? I find I don't missing the extra recording area that 2160p would provide as it still captures from my car's hood to the traffic signals above with no problems. I don't need to record the clouds that are high in the sky.

Image 2-24-24 at 9.57 PM.jpeg

You should not use inferior image quality settings to conserve memory card space, you should get a larger memory card then.
At least that is my feeling.
A system like the A139 PRO should at least have a 256 GB card,,,,, actually today any system should have a 256GB card, even if its just a single 1440p camera.

I am using a 256 MB card. I was only really speaking to resolution as it pertains to heat and also image quality. Currently the at 1600p the bitrate is 28.06 Mbps according to the chart. I find it curious that it is nearly half that of the 2160p resolution. Don't want to sacrifice image quality. Trying to find a balance between quality, storage and heat production.

I have the bandwidth setting on Normal by the way. Would there be a compelling reason to increase the setting for better recording quality?
Welcome to the club.
Use whatever 4K resolution you prefer.
However, running the camera with anything other than max Bitrate will reduce the camera’s capability to capture important details for evidence.
That kind of defeats the purpose of buying a 4K camera.
In 2-CH configuration I doubt you will experience overheating malfunctions in parking mode except for 100℉ weather in direct sunlight.
Just curious, why did you not get the A229 Pro?

I like the footprint of the A139 better. Don't need a screen.

As for the bitrate, the Rec column of that chart is actually confusing. It is suggesting the that Bitrate is set on Normal "or" Max? I assumed Normal was a good default setting. Would you recommend using the Max bitrate setting?

I like the footprint of the A139 better. Don't need a screen.

As for the bitrate, the Rec column of that chart is actually confusing. It is suggesting the that Bitrate is set on Normal "or" Max? I assumed Normal was a good default setting. Would you recommend using the Max bitrate setting?
Normal in RCG530's chart refers to "Normal Recording Mode" as opposed to Parking Mode.

The "footprint" is a good argument for the A139 Pro, but the A229 Pro has better overall image quality.
Not to mention the 2K STARVIS 2 Rear camera.
When the A139 Pro operates in 2-CH configuration the front's camera's 60 Mbps Bitrate is reduced to 45 Mbps.
This is why I only ever recommended the A139 Pro in 1-CH configuration.
The A229 Pro Front camera can maintain its 60 Mbps Bitrate in 2-CH configuration.

When it comes to Bitrate, "always" crank it up to the max, and buy the biggest SD Card you can afford.

Here's an example of what it looks like when your reduce Bitrate of the A139 Pro's front camera by adding the rear & interior cameras;

1 .png

Last edited:
Wow, that really is a difference. So it probably looks worse if Bitrate is only set to Normal as opposed to Max on a 2 ch setup. I will change to Max bitrate in both my cars now. I'm guessing this will produce more heat a s result though correct?

I wasn't aware the A229 Pro had higher bitrate capability. I thought it was just adding the screen. Curious they VIOFO wouldn't offer the same capability in the A139 Pro. Is the 229 model newer or something?

Does anyone use this resolution setting?
Yes, I do, mainly because it gives the best image quality, but also, like you, I don't need a recording of my dash and car hood, so 2160 is a waste of card space.

The 1600 resolution only crops the image, there is no scaling or interpolation, so the image quality is the same as at 2160, assuming that the bitrate per pixel is the same. To get the same number of bits per pixel, you need less overall bitrate since there are less pixels. I'm not sure that you always end up with the same bits per pixel, you could calculate it from the table above, assuming the table is correct for the current firmware, but I get the impression that the image quality is improved at 1600 on my setup.

Would you recommend using the Max bitrate setting?
The Max setting will give the best image quality, although you might not notice unless going reasonably fast with a lot of trees about that require a lot of detail. You can compromise the image quality for more recording time on the card by turning the bitrate down, that is your choice, if long recording time is important to you then go ahead. I normally stick to Max, unless I have a very long journey and want to keep it all.

I will change to Max bitrate in both my cars now. I'm guessing this will produce more heat a s result though correct?
It produces a little more heat, especially from the memory card, and it is normally the memory card that overheats first and causes problems, although using 1600 resolution produces less heat, the two changes should about cancel each other out. I don't think it is enough of a difference to worry about most of the year, although given your location, it might be sensible to turn bitrate down a bit in summer, especially if you start getting memory card errors (beeping).

Yes.
If you are within the 30-day return policy period, (depending on retailer) I suggest returning the A139 Pro, and getting the A229 Pro.
If not, I would suggest running the A139 Pro in 1-CH configuration, and getting an A119 Mini 2 for the rear window.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a229-pro-test-review-pp.49779/
The A229 Pro is a more expensive dashcam, yes, in 2 channel mode it can manage a higher bitrate, and thus better image quality, but it is not a huge difference. Having a 2K rear dashcam instead of FHD is more of a difference, but that is what you get for the extra expense.

A139 1ch + A119 Mini 2 will give an even better result, but again, it is going to be even more cost, I think you more or less get what you pay for, and not everyone needs the ultimate in image quality.

Switching to Maximum bitrate would be the first step, that comes almost free, unless you need a memory card upgrade to cope with the extra bitrate!

So is there a chart that would provide estimated recording times with an A139 Pro/Bitrate=Max using a 256 GB memory card?

So is there a chart that would provide estimated recording times with an A139 Pro/Bitrate=Max using a 256 GB memory card?
DCT has a recording time calculator where you just plug in the variables and get recording time. It used to be linked in the site menus but for some reason disappeared a while back. :unsure:

The A229 Pro is a more expensive
($266) A229 Pro 2-CH (5% off promo code RCGUY229PRO)
($290) A139 Pro 2-CH
The A229 Pro 2-CH is $24 cheaper.
The A229 Pro rear camera is also STARVIS 2 with HDR, (A139 Pro 1080p no HDR).

$266.png
$290 .png
not everyone needs the ultimate in image quality.
Anything less than the highest possible image quality is almost counter productive.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 11.08.26 AM.png

I was looking at the spring sale prices on. www.Viofo.com
$33 was never the issue.
The core issues are;
Maintaining front camera’s 60 Mbps Bitrate in 2-CH configuration, (not 45 Mbps).
Rear camera is 2K not 1080p.
Rear camera is STARVIS 2 not STARVIS 1.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 1.00.27 PM.png

I'd only note that now that the A229 Pro is upgraded to 2k/Starvis 2, it appears to be using a USB-C cable which is not as thin and concealable as the cable on the A139 Pro. That said, if the features/technology of the A229 Pro could be fit into the A139 Pro case then I would be all over it. Like I said before, I prefer the footprint and design of the A139 Pro.

I'd only note that now that the A229 Pro is upgraded to 2k/Starvis 2, it appears to be using a USB-C cable which is not as thin and concealable as the cable on the A139 Pro. That said, if the features/technology of the A229 Pro could be fit into the A139 Pro case then I would be all over it. Like I said before, I prefer the footprint and design of the A139 Pro.
The A229 Pro also has an upgraded processor.
Within 3 months I predict the A139 Pro will be upgraded to a new model with all the hardware & specifications of the A229 Pro for the folks who prefer screenless.

The A229 Pro also has an upgraded processor.
That is just to provide the capability of 2K rear, I don't think there is anything else very significant about it. You do get voice control, but I don't think that is processor dependent.

The next new processor may be far more significant.

Within 3 months I predict the A139 Pro will be upgraded to a new model with all the hardware & specifications of the A229 Pro for the folks who prefer screenless.
I wouldn't recommend that people wait for that prediction to come true, although there will of course be something new arriving this year.

Back