622gw and rear camera issues

Slow Tommo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hard wired 622gw with a rear window camera which is wired into my estate car through the headlining. This worked perfectly for several months then I started to have issues. I checked all of the connections and cleaned them and then returned the rear camera for replacement but it didn’t solve the problem.
The issue is- the rear camera window inside the front camera image does not appear. If I disconnect the cable from the front camera and reattach I get a rear camera window in the display but it’s just a square in the image with no rear view. The square contains the front view as if I had just drawn a square on the camera screen. It sometimes works correctly when I reconnect the cable but only about 1 in 10. I have tried using my other camera - a 522gw but plugging in the rear camera causes it to continually reboot- so quickly I can’t see what happening with the image. I also have a rear camera add-on module. I’ve tried this to rule out issues with the 622gw. This works fine. Is it likely to be the cable running through the cars headlining?
I don’t really want to fork out for a new cable if it could be something else. I’m now out of other ideas (and warranty).

this is what it look like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 5
Given the rear camera add-on module works fine and you have received a replacement rear camera that produces exactly the same error,I would also be suspecting a faulty cable.
When you got the replacement rear camera, did it not come with a new cable?

I had the exact same issue and indeed, it was the rear cable which developed a fault. I replaced it and its been fine ever since.

Given the rear camera add-on module works fine and you have received a replacement rear camera that produces exactly the same error,I would also be suspecting a faulty cable.
When you got the replacement rear camera, did it not come with a new cable?
No. Halford just swapped out the camera. With hindsight I was a bit daft…..

If it is still in warranty, you could go back to Halfords and ask them if you can try the lead from a new rear camera in your car on the car park.
Their dash-cam fitter might even have a spare lead kicking around. For testing purposes it doesn't matter if it isn't long enough.

If it is still in warranty, you could go back to Halfords and ask them if you can try the lead from a new rear camera in your car on the car park.
Their dash-cam fitter might even have a spare lead kicking around. For testing purposes it doesn't matter if it isn't long enough.
Out of warranty

I bought a new cable and that’s solved the problem. It cost me £20 from Nextbase. On a positive note, it’s was delivered in less than 24 hours.
I made contact with them online over the initial fault but I didn’t get a reply which is disapointing.
Im not sure how an installed cable could have developed a fault. There are no kinks or abrasions in it. Very strange.
I have two Nextbase cameras hardwired to 2 cars. I’ve had no end of issues.

Glad you got it sorted. As you say, weird that it failed in then 1st place.

Back