A229 pro 4k - Do I have a dud?

Abj1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed this dashcam back in October 23 and have filmed 100's of hours with it. But I am going back to the A129 pro.

My A229 cannot settle on colours, particularly green which it over saturates for several moments so many times during the video to the extent the footage looks like the incredible hulks ghosting in front the vehicle!
It does this whether in HDR mode or with it switched off.

Anybody else of is mine a dud?

I will be contacting Viofo who I am have complete trust in helping out but initially I'm interested if I'm on my own?

Screenshot of 2 cream/white buildings with white window frames!!

greens.jpg

HDR it's only for night filming to capture license plates and road signs.
A dashcam purpose it's for capturing evidence not for cinematic colour perfection. This is a debate for TV's forums.
Anyway, for a debate on that building colour turn off HDR.

Reactions: Mtz
HDR it's only for night filming to capture license plates and road signs.
A dashcam purpose it's for capturing evidence not for cinematic colour perfection. This is a debate for TV's forums.
Anyway, for a debate on that building colour turn off HDR.
Have you experienced the issue which occurs if the unit is running HDR or not as I have?
The reason it was running HDR is also a trouble as my unit defaults to HDR no matter if its daytime or has been turned off during the previous journey.

This thread IS about the A229 pro 4k and not any other dashcam.

I installed this dashcam back in October 23 and have filmed 100's of hours with it. But I am going back to the A129 pro.

My A229 cannot settle on colours, particularly green which it over saturates for several moments so many times during the video to the extent the footage looks like the incredible hulks ghosting in front the vehicle!
It does this whether in HDR mode or with it switched off.

I will be contacting Viofo who I am have complete trust in helping out but initially I'm interested if I'm on my own?

Screenshot of 2 cream/white buildings with white window frames!!

View attachment 71090
Highlighted p[art of my original post.

We just got a new firmware with image quality improvements, have you tested it yet?
That might fix your complaint.
V1.2_240227
HDR is only for night time.
During daytime set HDR OFF, (I do not trust the Auto HDR setting).

my unit defaults to HDR no matter if its daytime or has been turned off during the previous journey.
If your camera is loosing / forgetting settings you may have a defective unit.
I would submit a ticket for warranty replacement;
-Chuck

Some dashcams have warm colored footage, other have cold, most often reddish and Blue

We just got a new firmware with image quality improvements, have you tested it yet?
V1.2_240227
HDR is only for night time.
During daytime set HDR OFF, (I do not trust the Auto HDR setting).

If your camera is loosing / forgetting settings you may have a defective unit.
I would submit a ticket for warranty replacement;
-Chuck
Thanks Chuck,

That's a help, I did report it to viofo back in November.....I will try your suggestion of the firmware update and report back.

The HDR setting itself may be a red flag for the unit...if it continues after the update I will go to VIOFO.

FWIW as I'm new to commenting here, though have been reading the forum for over a decade I would add that I have around a dozen viofo cameras and have been using them form many years....the company and its support are excellent and am writing here as this is a recent unit and these issues have not affected in any other camera I use, including the A139pro.
Andy.

V1.2_240227

-Chuck
Well...........
I can't seem to install the updated firmware.

• 1: I've read: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a229-pro-plus-new-firmware.50126/page-3
•2: first problem was downloading the update to the pc..... I keep on getting 'failed' at the end on firefox. so switched microsoft and it seemed to download.
•3: formatted card via guiformart to FAT32 and copied update file
•4: Camera starts up, takes a while, and then tells me it is recording. • why didn't it update?•
•5: check firmware, still 1.0 from 08.23

I will raise a ticket I guess!

Just in-case it helps anybody else....

I've managed to update the A229pro by:

Downloading firmware on Microsoft Edge on windows 11

Using Viofo's Guilformat https://viofo.com/download/guiformat.exe ....

..... performed a long format to FAT32 on a 32gb sandisk card. (taking 1hour & 26mins)

inserted card into camera and switched on....it went straight to a upload/download screen time bar.

:)(y)

Back again with an update. I've been trialing the software updated a229 pro camera singularly. Indeed, the new software has ironed a lot of the colour discrepancies...Most but not all. Going under bridges still sometimes produces a green saturation.

This is enough for me to stop using the camera and revert back to the A129 pro which, apart from the superior colour renditions, of course benefits from having the narrower angle lens too.

Most of the people don't like narrower lens. Good to see you apreciate it.
Do you have any new snapshot with your problem?

But my advice is to cut a very short part with LosslessCut of the video and upload it to wetransfer so we can watch it with our players.

Back