About the videos count in memory card

01guest

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
Why the number of video files on the memory card can’t exceed 5,000 files?
I use A229Plus 3CH with a 512G memory card and one-minute recording for parking mode, but the number of recordings cannot exceed 5000 files.However, it was deleted in a loop
Can anyone test it?Thanks.

I don't know, but maybe because the file system gets too slow with more than 5,000 files in a single folder?

I use A229Plus 3CH with a 512G memory card and one-minute recording for parking mode, but the number of recordings cannot exceed 5000 files.However, it was deleted in a loop
What would one need that amount of files for? That's too excessive and probably makes it even more difficult to locate the footage that you require in an incident. Suggest changing the recording duration to something higher like 3 minutes.

What would one need that amount of files for? That's too excessive and probably makes it even more difficult to locate the footage that you require in an incident. Suggest changing the recording duration to something higher like 3 minutes.
Because setting three minutes of recording will cause the memory card to be too slow, but one minute of recording will not

I don't think OP NEEDS that amount of files, the camera decides how many files are stored and where, doesn't it?

@01guest: is the card formatted FAT32 or exFAT? The A229 Pro supports exFAT since the Nov 2023 firmware, which is much better for use with memory cards. Not sure if the A229 Plus support exFAT too.
exFAT supports up to 2,796,202 files per directory.
Source.

Apparently the number of files in a folder when using FAT32 depends on the length of the file names!?! You can use this site to calculate the max number of files.

Can you supply some information?

Do you have any space left on the memory card?

If you are only using the front camera set at 2k with high bit rate the file size approximately 179MB the 512GB memory card could only have approx 3300 files.
If you have 5000 files what is the file size you have?

I'm suggesting that you have run out of space and if loop recording is on it will start to delete the first files stored on it.
If you have many files in the locked section that will reduce the amount of files stored on memory card.

Can you supply some information?

Do you have any space left on the memory card?

If you are only using the front camera set at 2k with high bit rate the file size approximately 179MB the 512GB memory card could only have approx 3300 files.
If you have 5000 files what is the file size you have?

I'm suggesting that you have run out of space and if loop recording is on it will start to delete the first files stored on it.
If you have many files in the locked section that will reduce the amount of files stored on memory card.
There is an extra 200GB left, and each file size is 32MB in parking mode.

There is an extra 200GB left, and each file size is 32MB in parking mode.

Something doesn't add up.
Your memory card is 512GB
Your files are 32MB in size.
You have 200GB remaining.

However
32MB x 5000 = ~160GB
512GB - 160 = ~ 352GB

You said you have 200GB left.

I can't help you because leaving out details means you'll get incorrect advice.

Supplying accurate information will benefit you.

However one last thought @viofo @VIOFO-Support can clarify if they have a file limit in the firmware.

Cheers

Yes, the quantity of the video files cannot exceed 5000 as designed since it will influence the speed of accessing the APP.

Something doesn't add up.
Your memory card is 512GB
Your files are 32MB in size.
You have 200GB remaining.

However
32MB x 5000 = ~160GB
512GB - 160 = ~ 352GB

You said you have 200GB left.

I can't help you because leaving out details means you'll get incorrect advice.

Supplying accurate information will benefit you.

However one last thought @viofo @VIOFO-Support can clarify if they have a file limit in the firmware.

Cheers
There are also containing normal mode files.

Yes, the quantity of the video files cannot exceed 5000 as designed since it will influence the speed of accessing the APP.
Will this limit be lifted any time soon?
The cam supports 512GB but actually has a soft limit of 160GB!?! :confused:
Even a 256GB card won't be completely used. Not sure if that has a bad influence on the life span of the card.

To be honest, I don't care much about the app. I bought the cam to collect evidence. This way I'll have to use a larger file size, with a risk of missing out on a longer period of time when a recording fails.
Or copy the files from the card every 3.5 days!? :(
That's not why I bought these, quit expensive cards...

Do not worry. The 256GB memory card is completely full. At least for me.
When using a 512GB memory card, you can try increasing the cyclic recording time...5 or 10 minutes.

The app would benefit from getting the thumbnails after getting the file list and displaying the file list. Currently it can take minutes for the app to show the list.

Unless I change the settings, I almost never use the app to browse videos.

I think you should make longer videos. I use 5 minutes so I can easily move around in a video with VLC video player. 1 minute would drive me crazy.

5000 files is a lot for a little processor in a dashcam to calculate.

I don't think 5000 is a limit for the cam itself. It probably has something to do with how the file/thumbnail handling has been implemented in the phone app. No phone will be able to display 5000+ files at once, the screen is to small and/or users won't be able to read them.
And all phones these days are multi core/multi threaded. So there too, is enough compute power to handle the file count. But bad programming will bring down the fastest computer, and I fear that is the case here.
Display, lets say, 10 thumbnail at a time and let the phone compute the rest in the background. UHS-I has a limit of 30MB/s, that will probably be a bottleneck.
Or don't display thumbnails, just names, especially on larger cards.
But a soft limit, 5000 or any number for that matter, is just silly/lazy programming imho. They did that in the 80's when 12" spinning disks would hold max 12MB data, these where slow.
Nowadays, that argument doesn't stick.

It would have been nice if Viofo had mentioned the file count limit and the impact of that limit, especially when they mention they support exFAT and 512GB microSD cards. Which as it stands, they don't, it is limited.
I hate it when companies lie in there communications (n)

@viofo
Couldent you design the APP to default just access the last week / or few days if a week is too many files, in order to make APP experience smooth.
And then have a calender like interface if you would like to load even older footage, maybe a indicator to indicate how far back you have footage.

I commend you making sure to have a good APP experience, and really IMHO people should retrieve important footage sooner rather than later.
Personally i see no reason to on phone browse 3-4-5 weeks old footage, but that should still be possible, just only load old footage in batches and not all of it, so you have a fluid APP experience.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R A229 Plus 2
Back