Adding 2 or 3 hardwire taps

DonnyD

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I have either two or three dash cams, how do I hardwire them using fuse taps? Can I stack them onto one fuse location, or do I have to find different fuses for each wire? I guess the other option could be to use a T-tap. That is, once I find the 2 fuses (acc and pwr), I could t-tap onto those, but would that be too much?
Also, can I assume I could only power one dash cam using the OBD2 port?

You can normally fit 2 or 3 hardwire cables into a single fuse tap crimp and then crimp it, then plug it into the fuse box normally. Much neater than multiple taps, and better electrically.

A 5A dashcam fuse in the fuse tap is plenty to power 3 hardwire kits.

Also, can I assume I could only power one dash cam using the OBD2 port?
You can get OBD2 splitters, so it would be possible to use more than one, but it is likely to be a bit inconvenient to plug it all in securely. I would go for a fuse tap if possible.

PS. If your camera uses OBD2 data then I'm not sure the splitters would work correctly.

I have run up to 3 hard wire kits with a total of 8 cameras on a single fuse ( 10 A car circuit ) with 5 A fuses in the new circuit for the cameras.

I have run up to 3 hard wire kits with a total of 8 cameras on a single fuse ( 10 A car circuit ) with 5 A fuses in the new circuit for the cameras.

Did you crimp all the wires so you had one set of fuse taps or did you stack the fuse taps on top of each other, or something else?

If you can''t fit the 3 wires into one crimp, you can cut the crimp off and use a larger one instead.

Back