Can VIOFO dashcam take photos??

lord_scarl

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi everybody !!

I'm checking the VIOFO A119 V3 and A129 Duo models but I'm not sure if they can take photos, I use to have a Mini 0906 that has this function with a remote control, do you know if this is possible with VIOFO models??

Thanks & Regards

I dont think it can take a photo alone, but i do think it take a photo if you press the event button, but then also create a event video too.
At least that's what my similar street guardian cameras do.

Viofo dashcams have a photo button on the camera, and the remote control can also be used.

It is a frame grab rather than a proper photo, but the same was true of the mini 0906.

Yes they can. It tells you how in the user manual that came with your devices or that you can download from the Viofo website, or find via a Web Search, "page 9", where it describes what the buttons do.

I dont think he gotten the camera yet, but for some reason photo is important to him.
I dont quite understand why myself, you can always grab a frame from the video ( at least if you are on a computer ) and if it is when stopped i would use the much better and higher resolution camera in my phone. ( stopped of course only loosers use a phone handheld while driving )
But i am also not supposed to understand why, and i am just glad you and Nigel was able to set things strait as i myself have no user knowledge of viofo products.

Viofo dashcams have a photo button on the camera, and the remote control can also be used.

It is a frame grab rather than a proper photo, but the same was true of the mini 0906.

hello Nigel

I've read the manual (A129 Duo), but I can't see this feature mentioned, all I could find in my user manual was the mention of one press of the video protection/playback button is click one to lock the file being recorded

further dow the manual it mentions that with the Bluetooth remote control a press of this button the camera will lock the current video file and take a video snapshot, but no mention of a means to be able to only capture a snapshot, I’m not missing something, am I?

When it is recording, the menu button becomes the photo button (short press).

For the remote control, yes it was decided that to keep it simple, a short press would both lock the recording and take a photo, also means that you have a photo for the exact time you pressed the lock button, sort of as a bookmark/reminder of why you pressed it, so that you can easily find the event in the recording.

Putting photo on the long press doesn't work too well, since by the time you have completed the long press, you have missed the shot!
Nobody wanted lock the recording to be on a long press.

thank you for this info Nigel, due to our lockdown I still have the Elise off the road and the battery being on trickle charge in the house (well shed) I’ll take the dash cam out of the Elise tomorrow and have a play with it

hope you’re keeping well under this dreadful virus

I still have the Elise off the road
Boris says you can take it out for a drive again now :) (as long as you take a little exercise at the destination!)

the only time my wife and me are out is our once a day dog walk and once a week doing the shopping, and we are keeping well away from anyone we see coming the other way

you should see us shopping, we have washing up like gloves and masks not up to PPE3 grade but a little better than nothing

in past years by now I would be getting the car ready for my drive to Italy, my wife has mentioned putting the Elise on the road but it’s not the same just driving local to me as here in Cambridgeshire

if one went on the roof of a house you could see for miles on end, not a hill in sight near me, so not many/any good driving toads,

truth be told unless someone comes out with a reliable vaccine soon, I don’t see myself driving to Italy next year either, I can’t remember how many years back it was when 1Lt of petrol was around 105p Lt, cheap petrol and can’t make much use of it, it must be around 5 weeks now since we last topped up our daily drive

truth be told unless someone comes out with a reliable vaccine soon, I don’t see myself driving to Italy next year either,
My guess is that as a senior UK citizen, you will get the Oxford vaccine in time for an Italy trip next year, and I doubt we will have border restrictions since England, France, Switzerland and Italy have all had similar experiences with the virus (with the exception of the disaster in a small area of northern Italy) so will be staying fairly close on infections even if it does continue. Of course Brexit might get in the way if the EU doesn't back down on some of its demands!

But you don't need to go to Italy for mountains, Scotland has lots, as does Wales, there are even some in England! Maybe treat it as a reason to explore rather than go the same places, take a trip to the Isle of Skye and enjoy the roads and mountain views there:
istock143177040_sunrise_at_quiraing_isle_of_skye_1321404_letterbox.jpg

Of course Sturgeon currently won't let us into Scotland, so maybe come down here, we may not have mountains, but the hills and coast of Devon and Cornwall are a good place to visit (not in the school holidays).

Last edited:
With my VIOFO A119 V3, this is how to snap a picture:

Press the menu button once, to bring the dashcam screen out of sleep mode. (You’ll need to see the view screen on the dashcam).

press the menu button a second time to take a photo.

In total, you’ll need to press the menu button TWICE, to take a photo.

Just remember though, anytime you want to take a photo, you’ll need to make sure the dashcam screen is viewable.

Coast of Devon Nigel ! :)

That was gridlocked yesterday with traffic wardens running out of tickets. Apparently people were parking anywhere, pavements, yellow lines, you name it.

Coast of Devon Nigel ! :)

That was gridlocked yesterday with traffic wardens running out of tickets. Apparently people were parking anywhere, pavements, yellow lines, you name it.
There was a reason people had to park in the wrong place in some, but not all, council areas!

"An MP has spoken out and said she is disappointed that car parks were not ready to reopen as visitors flocked to crowded beaches."

It was still busy though:

"Seven lifeboats and twelve rescue teams were scrambled across Devon and Cornwall on Wednesday after people flocked to the beach in the hot weather. Emergency services were called out for a variety of reasons including people who were cut off by the tide, boats that were unable to get back to shore and one person who had a heart attack."

1 Person also died of covid-19.

Last edited:
Hi All

Thanks for the answers, I'll buy the A129 Duo and take picture is importan to easily share information without need to user the computer and take a snaphot from the video, in the case of the Duo version I imagine that the picture will be taken from both cameras right?

Thanks again and Regards

in the case of the Duo version I imagine that the picture will be taken from both cameras right?
Yes, you should get 2 photos, labeled F and R.

@Nigel

reading the A129 manual a couple of times I did eventually saw this feature mentioned (taking the photos) , having the front Camera right behind the rearview mirror, how this is implemented though makes it a bit on the risky side while driving (I think),

I found this feature and how this was implemented on the mini 0906 useful and easy to use without taking your eyes off the road

now you mention Scotland and Wales, in my teens I used to go camping in Scotland most summers in my old mini and a two man tent, I love Scotland, I only used to go as far as the boarders though (not to go in to a long story) I had made friends there, Kelso / Morbattle, I’ve also been up there a couple of times in the Elise.

I’ve only been to Wales twice, once to Brecon beacons years ago and the other time was a few years back to Holyhead (Anglesey) by way of Portmeirion (where the TV series The Prisoner was filmed) and loved Wales too

I’ll be quit happy to drive to either Wales and Scotland this summer and next if it gets safer

Back