Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Hi John,

Fantastic software. Better than the standard Vico Viewer. One problem though, your program works fine with files from my Marcus 3 when recorded 1920x1080@60fps but it won't play any files recorded at 2304x1296@30fps. The mov file plays fine on the standard quicktime viewer though so I don't think it's an issue with my PC. I will certainly purchase the full version if you are able to address this.

Thanks!
Lex

Lex, I've only tested the 1920x1080@60fps. I'm sorry to hear the s/w is not working for the larger videos. Are you running the Mac or PC version? Would you please send me a sample file at 2304x1296@30fps? I will PM you with details.

Thanks,
John

Hi Everyone,

We just released a new version of Dashcam Viewer for the Mac (Windows update soon to follow). Version 1.4.9 adds a feature a number of users have requested: The ability to load individual movie files instead of choosing a folder of movies. You load them by either dragging them onto the Movie Player window or selecting them via the toolbar or File menu. To see a list of recent improvements, check out our blog.

If you haven't seen Dashcam Viewer before, here is a recent demo of version 1.4.8:

And here is a screenshot of DCV v1.4.9 :

dcv_v1.4.9.jpg

Have a great day!

John

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dashcam-Viewer/636794673041076

From an old thread:
Do you plan on adding video-export feature to match Registratorviewer's capability? I know they rely heavily on Windows API calls so not sure if you can do it easily.

Maybe you could pair your app with http://handbrake.fr/
(many other apps call on handbrake to do the back end edits)

Your app would be the go to app if you can add combine/export to MP4 ability with x1 x2 x4 x8 x16 speed up support etc. (with embedded GPS/date/time data etc)

Any dev cycles to investigate exporting video clips this year? :)

More and More Mac users are ~> asking <~

Have you been able to toy around with Dual Channel footage at all yet? I'm happy to send some raw Panorama X2 videos.

John just released an update a few days ago, was in his Facebook feed, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but might be worth taking a look and see what has changed

Have you been able to toy around with Dual Channel footage at all yet? I'm happy to send some raw Panorama X2 videos.
I'd be over the moon if this was accommodated. I'm desperately looking for a mac based product that will allow PinP and the GPS maps and overpays. Dashcam viewer is the best I've seen so far, just lacking for what I need with dual cam.

NZDashcam, the Mac version of Dashcam Viewer supports picture-in-picture with the BlackVue DR550GW-2CH and VisionDrive VD-9600 2CH (the screenshot below is of the BlackVue 2CH).

Pier28: I don't have any experience with the Panorama X2. But PM me for details on how to send me a clone of your X2's SD card and I'll see what I can do. The BlackVue DR550 2CH stores it's front and rear movie files in a logical manner (all in the same directory). Hopefully the X2 does as well and it won't be hard to add support.

And, yes, video export is in the job jar of future enhancements. Looking at different approaches now. This will take some time, however, so please be patient.

Like jokiin mentioned, we just released a new version of Dashcam Viewer on Monday. This version adds support for selecting either Google or Bing Maps in the Map view, as well as some other minor tweaks. Check out our blog for a list of recent changes.

Thanks,
John

dcv_pip.jpg

NZDashcam, the Mac version of Dashcam Viewer supports picture-in-picture with the BlackVue DR550GW-2CH and VisionDrive VD-9600 2CH (the screenshot below is of the BlackVue 2CH).
I have an x2. I've got u your latest version downloaded, but couldn't get pip. I've seen your comments to @Pier28 and hope for a speedy update.

Cheers

I have an x2. I've got u your latest version downloaded, but couldn't get pip. I've seen your comments to @Pier28 and hope for a speedy update.

Cheers

I suspect the PIP view on those other models would be easier due to both cameras recording to the same card, doing PIP from two separate cards I would think is going to be more difficult

I suspect the PIP view on those other models would be easier due to both cameras recording to the same card, doing PIP from two separate cards I would think is going to be more difficult

Hopefully someone is up for the challenge :)

Niko said he can help post X2 front/rear samples from the latest firmware when he has a chance.

Pier28: I don't have any experience with the Panorama X2. But PM me for details on how to send me a clone of your X2's SD card and I'll see what I can do. The BlackVue DR550 2CH stores it's front and rear movie files in a logical manner (all in the same directory). Hopefully the X2 does as well and it won't be hard to add support.

And, yes, video export is in the job jar of future enhancements. Looking at different approaches now. This will take some time, however, so please be patient.

Like jokiin mentioned, we just released a new version of Dashcam Viewer on Monday. This version adds support for selecting either Google or Bing Maps in the Map view, as well as some other minor tweaks. Check out our blog for a list of recent changes.

Thanks,
John

dcv_pip.jpg

YOU'RE GREAT!
Aside from people purchasing your software (license), might I suggest that for those of us that either have already purchased a license, such as myself, or would just like to help fund a fellow doing the good work for the dash cam community as a whole, you might set up a (PayPal?) DONATIONS link/mechanism? Or, I know I toss cameralabs.com a "coffee" for his good reviews, as well...

Just a thought for everyone to be able to help/fund/encourage such POSITIVE AND WELL NEEDED software development.

Hopefully someone is up for the challenge :)

Niko said he can help post X2 front/rear samples from the latest firmware when he has a chance.

@Pier28 -- I'm for the challenge, lol! :) Good news…worked late tonight and was able to get PiP working in Mac Dashcam Viewer for the Panorama X2 (special thanks to Niko who was kind enough to provide X2 front and rear movie samples).

Niko said that the X2 stores front and rear movies on separate SD cards named "HD2_F" and "HD2_R". So the way it works in Mac DCV is that if you load front movies from a mounted SD card named "HD2_F", DCV will look for another mounted drive named "HD2_R" and scan for rear movies of the same name as the front SD card. If it finds rear movies then PiP will be automatically displayed. This seems to be the most intuitive method Niko and I could come up with. If you're a Panorama X2 owner and can think of a better workflow then let me know! This feature will be in the next release.

Here is PiP using the X2 front and rear samples Niko provided:
panorama_x2a.jpg

YOU'RE GREAT!
Aside from people purchasing your software (license), might I suggest that for those of us that either have already purchased a license, such as myself, or would just like to help fund a fellow doing the good work for the dash cam community as a whole, you might set up a (PayPal?) DONATIONS link/mechanism? Or, I know I toss cameralabs.com a "coffee" for his good reviews, as well...

Just a thought for everyone to be able to help/fund/encourage such POSITIVE AND WELL NEEDED software development.

Wow, much appreciated @boilers! I don't have a donation link but if folks want to make my day they could give a small donation to Hope for Paws or Pet Match Rescue, and let me know! I've seen the work these two groups do first-hand and it's money not wasted.

Thanks,
John
http://dashcamviewer.com

I don't have a donation link but if folks want to make my day they could give a small donation to Hope for Paws or Pet Match Rescue, and let me know! I've seen the work these two groups do first-hand and it's money not wasted.

Thanks,
John
http://dashcamviewer.com

@ " ... I don't have a donation link but if folks want to make my day they could give a small donation to Hope for Paws or Pet Match Rescue ", - this shows you are bringing a Great input into what you do and also care not only about "us" ( dashcam users ), but also about our "little 4-legged brothers". Thanks you for that !

Does PiP work only on the Mac version and not windows? Post 31 seems to suggest that

I just posted Dashcam Viewer v1.6.3 for Mac, which adds PiP support for the Panorama X2. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. I started another thread for it here. Still working on video clip exporting. Stay tuned...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted Dashcam Viewer v1.6.3 for Mac, which adds PiP support for the Panorama X2. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. I started another thread for it here. Still working on video clip exporting. Stay tuned...

You're on fire! You're on target for being the go-to universal global DashCamViewer once video exporting is added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the first trial result :)
One thing it has highlighted - a need for exporting or sharing to xyz (rather than doing a screen record)

Back