Fake 8K Dashcam

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
So in the Fake 4K dashcam thread, we were chatting about this new fake 8K dashcam that recently showed up on the market. It's sold under the brand names Lensuge and Ovedisa. They claim it records 8K up front and 2.5K in the rear, yet it costs under $100. I couldn't resist so I bought one, lol. Turns out it records in 2K up front and just 720p for the rear. The video quality is also significantly below average. There's other false advertising with the dashcam as well which I get into in the video, but for this one I wound up diving into Sony's options for 8K Starvis sensors, as well as doing some image quality comparisons against the Viofo A229 Plus (2K), A229 Pro (4K), and even the Insta360 Ace Pro (8K).

I'm waiting for YouTube to render it in full 8K. Apparently that can take between hours and days, so for now the video is only available at 4K max (not that most people will likely watch in 8K), but once it finishes rendering, I'll release in publicly. In the meantime you can go ahead and check it out. :)

So in the Fake 4K dashcam thread, we were chatting about this new fake 8K dashcam that recently showed up on the market. It's sold under the brand names Lensuge and Ovedisa. They claim it records 8K up front and 2.5K in the rear, yet it costs under $100. I couldn't resist so I bought one, lol. Turns out it records in 2K up front and just 720p for the rear. The video quality is also significantly below average. There's other false advertising with the dashcam as well which I get into in the video, but for this one I wound up diving into Sony's options for 8K Starvis sensors, as well as doing some image quality comparisons against the Viofo A229 Plus (2K), A229 Pro (4K), and even the Insta360 Ace Pro (8K).

I'm waiting for YouTube to render it in full 8K. Apparently that can take between hours and days, so for now the video is only available at 4K max (not that most people will likely watch in 8K), but once it finishes rendering, I'll release in publicly. In the meantime you can go ahead and check it out. :)

Top video Ariel as always, very important to educate buyers so they don't get fleeced.

Shame that the 8K comparison wasn't a big a step up as I'd hoped. I remember back in 2016 when I tried a few 4k action cameras and the video quality was a massive step up, when I tried using them as dash cams. But they overheated etc etc.

When we get to 8k Starvis 3/4/5 sensors, I suspect that a lot of that will be ironed out. And with better image processing and maybe some newer technologies, we will see some tangible improvements...

Last edited:
When we get to 8k Starvis 3/4/5 sensors, I suspect that a lot of that will be ironed out. And with better image processing and maybe some newer technologies, we will see some tangible improvements...
I don't think we will get an 8K Starvis 3 sensor, maybe an 8K Starvis 4 sensor, but it is unlikely to be a good choice for dashcam use.

To get 8K, Sony would need to make the pixels a quarter of the size, which would mean a quarter of the sensitivity and a quarter of the dynamic range, not a good choice for a dashcam. So just to match today's noise levels and dynamic rage, they would need make their pixels 4x more sensitive and able to collect the same dynamic range in a quarter of the space. That is not going to happen by Starvis 3, and even if it does by Starvis 4, wouldn't you prefer the new 4K sensor, which will have 4x the dynamic range and 4x the low light sensitivity and a quarter of the motion blur, compared to the 8K? The change from 2K to 4K with the current Starvis 2 sensors simply involves adding pixels to the sensor, there is no loss of sensitivity or dynamic range, because they use the same pixels, and end up with a larger sensor, but that does not work when going from a 4K to an 8K dashcam, instead you need to make the pixels a quarter of the size.

Doesn't mean that we shouldn't have an 8K dashcam, only that it won't be using 8K sensors.

I don't think we will get an 8K Starvis 3 sensor, maybe an 8K Starvis 4 sensor, but it is unlikely to be a good choice for dashcam use.

To get 8K, Sony would need to make the pixels a quarter of the size, which would mean a quarter of the sensitivity and a quarter of the dynamic range, not a good choice for a dashcam. So just to match today's noise levels and dynamic rage, they would need make their pixels 4x more sensitive and able to collect the same dynamic range in a quarter of the space. That is not going to happen by Starvis 3, and even if it does by Starvis 4, wouldn't you prefer the new 4K sensor, which will have 4x the dynamic range and 4x the low light sensitivity and a quarter of the motion blur, compared to the 8K? The change from 2K to 4K with the current Starvis 2 sensors simply involves adding pixels to the sensor, there is no loss of sensitivity or dynamic range, because they use the same pixels, and end up with a larger sensor, but that does not work when going from a 4K to an 8K dashcam, instead you need to make the pixels a quarter of the size.

Doesn't mean that we shouldn't have an 8K dashcam, only that it won't be using 8K sensors.
We'll have to see then...

In your video I saw that you mounted the camera in a non-destructive way so I expect you will return the camera back and ask for money return.
But did you asked yourself if the 8K is not about the resolution but about the name of the camera? The name of the camera is 8K. Something like my name is Ronaldo, I am a football player, but I am not the Ronaldo you expect.
The most amazing thing for me is that this product has 4.2 stars on Amazon instead of being banned from Amazon.

I dont even think i would want a 8K dashcam, i would prefer a ultra potent 2K system instead, or just a nice 4K system at worst.

In your video I saw that you mounted the camera in a non-destructive way so I expect you will return the camera back and ask for money return.
But did you asked yourself if the 8K is not about the resolution but about the name of the camera? The name of the camera is 8K. Something like my name is Ronaldo, I am a football player, but I am not the Ronaldo you expect.
The most amazing thing for me is that this product has 4.2 stars on Amazon instead of being banned from Amazon.
haha well that would be funny. “We never said we recorded in 8K resolution! It’s not our fault if you misunderstood…” :p

They do say this in the description though so they really do mean 8K video resolution.

IMG_2912.jpeg

OK, but that 7680x4320 can be the serial number of the CMOS or some model number. They not said that the 7680x4320 are pixels or resolution. :cool:
Outside the funny part I don't know how Amazon is allowing to sell products with such exaggerated fake specifications. OK, I could accept with the lies of angle, super mega night vision, amazing image and bla-bla, but not with a technical specifications which is measured with some tool.

Amazon can be frustrating sometimes. I tried posting a review and some screenshots of the product and sample footage and my review got rejected. I looked over their community guidelines and don't see anything that applies to me. Oh well.

View attachment 72224
Amazon is having a crackdown on fake reviews, maybe you shouldn't have included the word "Fake"!

It might be worth trying without the photos & video, in case their AI has spotted something unacceptable in them.

Reactions: Mtz
Amazon can be frustrating sometimes. I tried posting a review and some screenshots of the product and sample footage and my review got rejected. I looked over their community guidelines and don't see anything that applies to me. Oh well.

I've had similar experiences with Amazon reviews. The adjudication of Amazon reviews often seems to come down to some random employee's or AI robot's opinion/interpretation of the guidelines rather than a strict adherence to them.

I left a glowing 5 star review of a sleep mask I purchased for use when bright sunshine comes streaming in from the skylight in my bedroom in the morning. There were a number of negative reviews based on complaints that the product has a "strong industrial smell" and people were returning them for a refund. Mine did have a slight odor but nothing too bad.

In my review I made the comment that sometimes buyers don't always pay attention and the results is they end up leaving misleading information in their reviews (I've seen this countless times on Amazon). So, I mentioned the complaints about the smell and pointed out that the box the product comes in prominently says: "Please Wash Before First Use" and goes on to provide instructions for how to gently hand wash and dry the thing. I commented that once washed and dried mine came out smelling like fresh laundry and how pleased I was with the design, comfort and effectiveness of the mask. In short order 43 people found the review helpful. Weeks later, I learned that my review had been deleted because I had allegedly violated the community guidelines in some mysterious way I've not been able to determine. My best guess is that you are not allowed to comment on other reviews even in a very general way, even if your intention is to try to point out that they are presenting misleading or misinformed information about the product that might negatively affect sales unfairly .

Back