FPS vs FOV

KevRUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

New user here with a small technical query that's largely unimportant but has been nagging me ever since I noticed it.

TL;DR version: has anyone else noticed that the field of view on the 522GW is very slightly narrower when running at 1080p/60 compared with 1080p/30?

Longer version: I have a 522GW with the rear window cam connected. My default setup is to run the front camera at 1080p/30 so I can also have 1080p/30 from the rear camera. Setting the front to 1440p/30 or 1080p/60 reduces the rear camera's resolution to 720p which is too much of a compromise IMO. The front camera is mounted behind the passenger visor on a genuine Nextbase suction holder via a Click&Go Pro mount to the cigarette lighter socket, and is removed from the vehicle overnight by detaching at the Click&Go.

When I re-fit the camera I always pan it to the right until the shroud covering the car's behind-mirror sensors just becomes visible on the camera's screen. I then pan it to the left until the shroud is no longer visible, which leaves the camera in the perfect orientation.

A couple of days ago I did this routine as I've always done, but I couldn't get the shroud to be visible on the screen before the camera hit its physical right-pan limit. I thought maybe I hadn't made a proper connection to the Click&Go, or that the suction mount had moved, so I fiddled about with all of it but couldn't under any circumstances get that shroud to appear.

After five minutes of swear-punctuated frustration I remembered that I'd been experimenting with the camera's settings the night before and had temporarily set the video mode to 1080p/60. When I set it back to 1080p/30, I was once again able to bring the shroud into view by panning all the way to the right. Just to confirm that I wasn't going mad, I repositioned the camera so that a prominent street lamp was up against the right edge of the screen, and the trunk of a tree against the left edge, then switched to 1080p/60 again. Sure enough, the lamp and half of the tree trunk were now off the screen.

It's a subtle change, and not one that would dissuade me from using 1080p/60 if I didn't have other reasons for favouring 1080p/30, but I'm struggling to understand why it does this. None of the documentation I can find mentions anything related to field of view other than the angle of 140°. And the resolutions of the resulting videos are the same for both modes, both in the documentation and in the metadata of the recordings. I just can't think of any technical reason why the actual area captured would be ever so slightly narrower with the higher frame rate.

Could the camera be 'cheating' by using a smaller area of the CCD when at 60fps, perhaps to save CPU cycles, with the discrepancy being in the upscaling? Maybe it's an optical artefact, and varies from individual camera to individual camera?

As I said, it's nothing mission critical. But I am intrigued by it, and would love to know if anyone else can confirm it or, perhaps more importantly for my sanity, offer an explanation.

Thanks.

Back