Fragment Error

Joel Irwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have this latest unit for about a one month. Been using a Samsung Pro 64 (the recommended card here) in this unit and in previous 0806's with no prob.

Yesterday I noticed the unit stayed on for a few mins and then shutdown leaving only the blue light on. It kept happening every time I turned it on, the recording would not start (red light solid) and then a shut down. Today I looked at the screen with much difficulty saw the text 'fragment error, please reformat'. I reformatted the card and it seems to be OK now.

Any idea what caused the problem?

are you talking about the failures in general or this specific issue?

i honestly don't get how a battery has anything to do with the integrity of the data on the data card. Other than one segment error and the reformat, I have seen absolutely no battery problems.

i honestly don't get how a battery has anything to do with the integrity of the data on the data card. Other than one segment error and the reformat, I have seen absolutely no battery problems.

the power supply design on this model is very poor, the battery helps to stabilise the voltage internally, when the battery starts to degrade stability suffers

SD cards degrade. Had the exact same issue. Card would require re-formatting and all would be well for a while. As time went on, reformats were required more frequently (although it did seem to 'plateau' st some point). Replacing card solves issue... until new card starts to degrade.

If you have a bad power connection and a bad battery it could cause problems.
I suspect I had a bad power connection (via the GPS) and that lead to a bad battery and then operational errors.

It's worth doing a regular check of how long an 0806 can record while on battery. It can be practically dead without you realising it.

I have not had any battery problems with this unit.

Back