Is the moveable camera a selling point vs other Viofo?

This mount seems pretty secure.
I think Viofo can come up with OR improve on this.
I am not saying to copy it...but maybe something like it with a small magnet to keep it in place.
See how there are rails...
anyway, just throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks..lol Always good to talk about.

The N5 uses the same mount/magnet and also has that pivot point.
Both of these things could become weak over time due to extreme heat and in the case of the pivot arm excessive use.

I like the method used but wonder if in some situations they may fatigue.

Magnets lose their magnetism in high heat.
Different magnets different heat levels.
Neodymium magnets will lose their magnetism around 100c
The way our climate is going that might be reachable in some countries now.

I'm not sure the mounts on the current Viofo cameras would work with foam pads, and they don't appear to need them. I think Viofo are using better plastics these days.

Magnetic mounts seem a good idea, but what happens in an accident? You don't want something the weight of an A229 Pro hitting you on the head at 100Km/h because it got loose in a crash. If the magnets are weak enough for easy removal, then there will be easy removal in a crash, anything you do to stop them going flying in a crash makes them difficult to remount. I think all the current mounts are pretty easy to use after a little wearing in and practice.

Neodymium magnets will lose their magnetism around 100c
The temperature at the top of the windscreen with sun shining directly on the mount can easily get into the 90s°C even in UK, so I'm sure that in Australia a few could drop off around midday in the summer, even without further global warming, which is certainly coming.

I'm not sure the mounts on the current Viofo cameras would work with foam pads, and they don't appear to need them. I think Viofo are using better plastics these days.

Magnetic mounts seem a good idea, but what happens in an accident? You don't want something the weight of an A229 Pro hitting you on the head at 100Km/h because it got loose in a crash. If the magnets are weak enough for easy removal, then there will be easy removal in a crash, anything you do to stop them going flying in a crash makes them difficult to remount. I think all the current mounts are pretty easy to use after a little wearing in and practice.
Great point Nigel. Good discussion. (y)

Back