Just installed a N5 in my car

I thought the same thing so as part of my testing I unplugged the rear camera - it made no difference, the 'stuttering' was still there. Also my SGGCX2Pro which is mounted 2 inches away had no issues at all.
I have to rethink my feeling the camera is dropping frames. I suspect it may be something to do with the playback process. Using different video players I still see the 'skipping' but at different points in the video, so the files are probably OK. Also, when stepping through frame-by-frame I can't see anything wrong.

Maybe something related to H.265 versus H.264 because my SG files play back fine.

Last edited:
With the last FW upgrade i have switched my N5 to just 2 channel mode ( F & R ) and i will be putting my mirror back in the car soon.
The interior cameras just work as they should so i see no reason keeping testing those, and putting in mirror mean front interior camera will see very little of the cabin.

The N5 soldier on, and nothing major to report, or at least not anything other than what others have mentioned.

Been running a few more 256 GB memory cards in the N5.

The list now look like this.

Sandisk high endurance - OK
Sillicon Power 3D nand ( brown / white ) - not OK
Kingston canvas go plus - OK
Kingston canvas select plus - OK
Adata High endurance - OK
Adata premiere pro - OK
Sandisk extreme PRO - OK
Trancend Ultra performance - OK

PS. I am back to 4 channel mode, CUZ how else am i going to test my last few memory cards with full load, but my mirror are still going back in the car,,,,, that is then i find the 2 screws for it.

I have noticed, some times the N5 take a photo of its own, or at least i hear a shutter sound.
At least it have happened 2-3 times now, last time yesterday, i will pull memory card and look closer today.

I've had the same issue with both my N5 and S1 Pro, but only when the voice control is turned on.

It's more prominent in the N5, but I think it has more to do with the camera's positioning than anything (it's mounted right above the center channel speaker on my dashboard)

Randomly snaps photos, saves video event files and even turns the wifi on and off everytime my GPS (waze) tells me to turn left.

By the end of the week, I typically end up with a dozen or so event files that I have to sort through and delete.

I have since turned off voice control on the N5 as I prefer to use the wireless remote to save event files, but kept it active on the S1 Pro since it's a new unit and I'm still in early testing.

The S1 Pro randomly snaps photos, but has yet to lock any video event files.

That being said, it is mounted higher on my windshield and further away from the speaker.

It happen to me even if no radio is playing and i am keeping my mouth shut.

Of course my bottom of the barrel little Suzuki car, on its own it is not a quiet car.

I might need a new steering rack in it, there was notice of it not being as smooth as it should at the last inspection.

The N4 Pro and the E3 do the same thing. They randomly take pictures.
I can confirm that it also happens when no music is playing. A little bit weird.

So i just yanked the memory card in the N5 as my car are in the shop now, and wouldn't you know the old Sillicon power elite card (rainbow / multi color ) seem to work just fine, and it is only U1 / XC 1 rated.

I got a nifty Kia niro as a loaner meanwhile, daum i could get used to driving that VS my " old " POS little Suzuki, okay the automatic is not a favorite of mine as i am that old school, actually in 40 years i think i have driven something auto for 1-2 hours, and most of that was a rental truck.
BUT ! A old dog can of course always learn new tricks, and the AUT transmission its not like its a para dime shift, just i am so used to drive a manual.
Sooooo much electronics in that damn car, the seat slide back to facilitate easy entry / exit ASO, and P brake is just a button, i dont dare to really nerd out on it, and no need to as i will have to return it tomorrow.
Steering wheel so light, i feel like i can steer it by blowing on either side of the wheel to make it turn, make me remebber my first car the 1967 Volvo 121 with 0 power steering and the huge steering wheel replaced by a 9 " one, so my thin arms really got a workout back then.

N5 capture woman reversing into me, minor paint exchanged.

Adata premiere pro - OK
Sandisk extreme PRO - OK
Sillicon power elite (rainbow color ) - OK

Okay i had something weird happen with the N5 recordings from the front camera, wanted to compile a drive video driving to my friends house at night during a snowfall.

And everything is fine, aside for a couple of files in the middle of it all, towards the end, their file size are much smaller for some reason, resolution / bitrate check out just fine, and it is also 3 minute segments, CUZ dropping them on the time line of my video editor program those files are the same physical size as all the other files.

N5 file.jpg

Adata premiere pro - OK
Sandisk extreme PRO - OK
Samsung evo plus ( white ) - not OK ( slow card error )

Okay it seem like i am at the end of my 256GB memory card collection, that is somehow it seem like i have lost my blue PRO plus Samsung card.
But i have just put in the last not tested card in the N5 and that6 is the no longer made purple WD card ( not QD101 branded )

Mind you,,,,,, right now i am going to order 1-2 new cards ;)

Adata premiere pro - OK
Sandisk extreme PRO - OK
Samsung evo plus ( white ) - not OK ( slow card error )
WD Purple, the old NON QD101 model - OK

Back