Mini 0806 not started after hardwire install

Daniel O'Connor

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys

I recently received my Mini 0806 camera and was really impressed. I received the camera, gps mount, cpl filter, a 32gb SD card and a hardwire kit. It was working completely fine with the included cigarette lighter adapter. I used it for about 2 days before installing my hardwire kit. I wired it into my fuse box and plugged the camera in. The camera didn't turn on but the blue and red LEDs came on. When I pushed the buttons the screen would come on but with like a youtube loading icon but it wouldnt respond to any buttons. I held down the power button for 20 seconds and the camera turned off. after that nothing will happen. I try turn it on and the red light comes on but the it wont turn off again till I hold the power button for 20 seconds. Ive tried the original charger and it only turns the red LED on. I have also tryed plugging the camera into my computer but it the computer cant find any drivers for it.

I'm hoping someone here can help me,

Thanks,

Daniel, try doing an 0806 reset. That sometimes helps with issues like you're describing. And welcome to the forum. :)

Daniel, try doing an 0806 reset. That sometimes helps with issues like you're describing. And welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks for reply

If you are referring to holding the power button for 20 seconds then I have tried that but I hasn't done anything

If you go into the menu I think there is an option to reset the 0806 to factory settings. I've only had my 0806 for about a month and it's currently being replaced so I don't have it in front of me. I'm sure others who are better versed will chime in soon. Sit tight. There are a bunch of helpful people here and I'm sure one of them will respond soon.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me, I had two 0806, one up front and one at rear, running for a week on cig lighter power fine. Installed the hardwire kits, they worked for a day or two, then I came out in the morning, turned ignition on, and they both failed at the same time. (this is before I cranked the engine). Dead, no good, duff, expired. Oh and if you smell the camera thru the vents something definitely smells blown.
I sent them back and got replacements, and a different model of hardwire kits (which I haven't dared try as yet).

probably a good idea, some of the cheap hardwire kits are not great quality

I've had a look at the PCBs, and the hardwire kit consists of a tiny little no-name buck regulator ic, and a few components around it, whereas the cig adaptor uses a beefy Texas Instruments switching regulator, and larger capacitors too.
In fact, on the strength of that I'm half inclined to remove the cig lighter pcb, put it in a box with some flying leads and call it a hardwire. ;)

This is EXACTLY what happened to me, I had two 0806, one up front and one at rear, running for a week on cig lighter power fine. Installed the hardwire kits, they worked for a day or two, then I came out in the morning, turned ignition on, and they both failed at the same time. (this is before I cranked the engine). Dead, no good, duff, expired. Oh and if you smell the camera thru the vents something definitely smells blown.
I sent them back and got replacements, and a different model of hardwire kits (which I haven't dared try as yet).

Which hardwire kit did this?

Which hardwire kit did this?

It was the type with a "1504" ic and a toroidal (ring doughnut) type inductor in it. Also the label on the back says:
OUTPUT (+)
OUTPTU (-)
Doesn't really instil much confidence in it when they can't even get the spelling right ! :)

I now have 2 kits which I haven't tried yet, they are a slightly bigger box with a silver label marked "mini 0805/6 exclusive power box".

I purchased it all as a package, and now the hardwire kits were returned to the seller and he has now changed to supplying the other ones I mentioned.

As I was saying earlier, I may just rehouse the cig lighter pcb in a small box and use that instead, as I've been running on them for a while now with no issue.

Back