Mounting position for Mazda cx5 plus operation

Gregmw

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi
I just got one of the BlackVue DR 750x plus 2 ch in a new Mazda CX-5 thinking it was a real good quality unit - but so far I am pretty disappointed

the camera gets very hot while operating ,I also get so many false “incidents“for no apparent reason - and i can’t understand why I can not just delete individual files .?

the front camera is mounted just to the left of the rear view mirror mounting shroud (which sits out + 30mm) ,and up very high on the windscreen - above where the wipers clean
(it’s very difficult to remove the cables or the card from the camera)

I am not sure this is in the best spot because I am missing vision of the front right corner of the car - and it picks up the corner of the mirror shroud

just after opinions and thoughts on the unit itself

Depending on the shape of the sensor housing above/behind the mirror you could consider mounting on it. That should give you a full forward view without obstruction and place the camera in an area covered by the wipers.

Something like this:

I have both the 750x-Plus, and the 900X-plus.

the camera gets very hot while operating
it's not necessarily a problem. These cameras are rated for 70 degrees C operating temperature. As long as there is enough ventilation space surrounding the camera it doesn't matter. Admittedly there were apparently fatal temperature issues with the previous 900S series in hot climates like some areas of Australia, though I personally did not experience them. Try turning off WiFi on the camera (if you don't use the Blackvue Cloud service) to lower the heat generation.

I also get so many false “incidents“for no apparent reason
Adjust/fiddle with the sensistivity of the G-sensors. For my vehicle I have brutal settings. I use G-sensor (Normal Mode) "Up & down" set to OFF, "Side to side" set to 1, "Front & back" set to 1. G-sensor (Parking Mode) is set high-ish, all 7.
Also experiment with turning off the detection of "Hard acceleration", "Hard braking", "Hard cornering".

and i can’t understand why I can not just delete individual files .?
The micro-sd card will definitely not run out of space as long as the "Lock event files" setting is OFF. Even then there is a sub-option to "Overwrite locked files when storage is full" if "Lock event files" is ON.

I am missing vision of the front right corner of the car - and it picks up the corner of the mirror shroud
You really do need to experiment to find the location and alignment best for your car.
I notice you say it is a "new Mazda", so did the car dealer install it or you?
One tip is you can attach the camera mount backwards, then change the "Front camera rotation" setting. That matters because the lense of the Blackvue cameras is to the left of the camera mount by default, rather than centred with it. I'm guessing that's the cause of your "missing vision of the front right corner of the car".

Unfortunately the Blackvue mounting instructions are inadvertantly biased towards left hand drive vehicles. They also assume that there is no sensor/vision housing in front of the mirror.

Last edited:
I have both the 750x-Plus, and the 900X-plus.

it's not necessarily a problem. These cameras are rated for 70 degrees C operating temperature. As long as there is enough ventilation space surrounding the camera it doesn't matter. Admittedly there were apparently fatal temperature issues with the previous 900S series in hot climates like some areas of Australia, though I personally did not experience them. Try turning off WiFi on the camera (if you don't use the Blackvue Cloud service) to lower the heat generation.

Adjust/fiddle with the sensistivity of the G-sensors. For my vehicle I have brutal settings. I use G-sensor (Normal Mode) "Up & down" set to OFF, "Side to side" set to 1, "Front & back" set to 1. G-sensor (Parking Mode) is set high-ish, all 7.
Also experiment with turning off the detection of "Hard acceleration", "Hard braking", "Hard cornering".

The micro-sd card will definitely not run out of space as long as the "Lock event files" setting is OFF. Even then there is a sub-option to "Overwrite locked files when storage is full" if "Lock event files" is ON.

You really do need to experiment to find the location and alignment best for your car.
I notice you say it is a "new Mazda", so did the car dealer install it or you?
One tip is you can attach the camera mount backwards, then change the "Front camera rotation" setting. That matters because the lense of the Blackvue cameras is to the left of the camera mount by default, rather than centred with it. I'm guessing that's the cause of your "missing vision of the front right corner of the car".

Unfortunately the Blackvue mounting instructions are inadvertantly biased towards left hand drive vehicles. They also assume that there is no sensor/vision housing in front of the mirror.
Thank you for the great info !
Yes it was installed from the car dealer

Back