My Mini 2

Thank you for the clip.
Can you try 2560 x 1440p 30fps?
I think you might like that better.
Why didn’t you try the A229 Pro 1-CH, you might like that one better?
You're welcome!
No, I like this panoramic mode more than the classic 16/9.
A229Pro is too expensive for my purposes... and I like the small form factor of the Mini2. :)

Last edited:
No, I like this panoramic mode more than the classic 16/9.
That’s not what I meant.
The Mini 2 has several different 2K resolutions.
Some look better than others.
I suggested 2560 x 1440p because it might fix some of the complaints you have.

Now, I captured this morning several videos... the purple fringing (PF) is there, in all its glory (in fact, its horror). Somebody said (can't remember the thread) that the upgraded optics is from A129+... not a chance. A129+ doesn't "offer" PF at all.
Until now, I've not seen this level of PF on any Viofo camera.
I suspect the purple glow around that particular lamp is due to it being a HID lamp and producing excessive UV radiation when viewed at certain angles. Most of the other cars don't appear to have the same issue.

There is some chromatic distortion in the top left, but in general that looks a pretty good lens.

I suggested 2560 x 1440p because it might fix some of the complaints you have.
I don't see why, it is at the native resolution of the sensor, so should be at full quality, and slightly better than 2560 x 1440 because it has more bitrate per pixel.

producing excessive UV radiation when viewed at certain angles.

It would be a good argument, if it was true, but some (most of them) of lights are LEDs, for sure.

EDIT: lenses of Mini2 and A129+. To me they appear to be clearly different.

Attachments

• 20240306075652_000002.MP4_snapshot_00.28.952-gigapixel-hq-scale-6_00x.jpg
    20240306075652_000002.MP4_snapshot_00.28.952-gigapixel-hq-scale-6_00x.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 35
  • lenses.jpg
    lenses.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
It would be a good argument, if it was true, but some (most of them) of lights are LEDs, for sure.
Color fringing, also known as chromatic aberration, is caused by different color light rays refracting differently through the lens. More expensive lenses (as in 1,000 of dollars) can mitigate this to a degree but elimination is nearly impossible. Wide angle lenses are more prone to fringing. Some correction can be done in software/firmware. Depending on light source it may be more or less obvious depending on the specific light spectrum of the source.

Color fringing, also known as chromatic aberration, is caused by... depending on the specific light spectrum of the source...
Huh? Do you suppose that I don't know what I talk about? Lol. I'm a photographer, astrophotographer and I know very well how optics, sensors etc. works. ;)
The problem with this lens of Mini2 is that the chromatic aberration seems to induce that magenta/purple dominant.
And, by the way, white LEDs emit tiny amounts of UV, speaking about spectrum.

Last edited:
And, by the way, white LEDs emit tiny amounts of UV, speaking about spectrum.
True, but they do have an odd spectrum that is not exactly white:

I'm a photographer, astrophotographer and I know very well how optics, sensors etc. works. ;)
I was betting in my mind from you first posts that you a "rocket science" in photography :))
It seems like a pattern already. "Experts" in something, mostly on their first dashcam, who think they know something for reinventing the wheel of dashcams, but in fact knowing nothing about dashcams.

Please take you time for studying the forum were you can learn a lots of useful information about dashcams from colleagues and many years of testing.

I don't see why, it is at the native resolution of the sensor, so should be at full quality, and slightly better than 2560 x 1440 because it has more bitrate per pixel.
A while back @DrekiTech found some interesting "cropping" and other things related to the resolution options;

A while back @DrekiTech found some interesting "cropping" and other things related to the resolution options;
That is a bit out of date, and reffering to the Mini, not the Mini 2.

I believe the Mini 2 currently records the full 2560 width with no horizontal scaling, although the vertical may currently be a bit questionable, and due to be fixed.

Most of the Viofo dashcams with 21:9 aspect ratio do record 1 pixel for each sensor pixel and simply crop the top and bottom of the image which for most people contain no useful information. Truck drivers wouldn't want to use it, they are better off with 4:3 aspect ratio, but for cars 21:9 makes sense and should give the best image quality. 21:9 is what I use on my A139 Pro.

Viofo has in plan to fix the purple issue. I can't wait. :D
I was just informed by the sourse...

Viofo has in plan to fix the purple issue. I can't wait. :D
I was just informed by the sourse...
Don’t get too excited, the standard chromatic aberration correction is not going to work on that, it’s related to the over exposure from the headlamp, and since the headlamp is overexposed, there is no way of calculating how much purple to correct. It would probably need an AI filter to make it look perfect, and then we would have problems with purple cars! Purple cars do seem to be out of fashion at the moment though, so maybe that is not a problem.

I'm not bothered by the fringing from the headlights, but by the dominant purple in the whole photo. I showed the photos of the headlights to show/to emphasize where I think the white balance shift is coming from. I would accept without problems a small amount of purple in the headlights, if, overall, the image had the correct WB. ;)

I'm not bothered by the fringing from the headlights, but by the dominant purple in the whole photo. I showed the photos of the headlights to show/to emphasize where I think the white balance shift is coming from. I would accept without problems a small amount of purple in the headlights, if, overall, the image had the correct WB. ;)
There is no such thing as correct WB, some people demand it looking a little blue/purple, judging by your “corrected “ image, you prefer it a little greener than most people, hopefully VIOFO will get a good compromise.

I don’t think the purple around the headlights is a WB issue.

Back