NASA Psyche mission

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Launching tomorrow if things go as planned, will be taking a close look at the metal asteroid with the same name, or 16 Psyche if you like.

On board are 3 Danish made instruments.

A dual magnetometer made by DTU space ( Technical University of Denmark ) in Copenhagen to map the magnetic field of the sucker.

The two other instruments are a X-ray / neutron spectrometer to determine the exact composition, and of course in these days a high resolution camera which i assume you could call a satellite dashcam, CUZ picture or it did not happen. :)

iu

iu

The trip out there = 3.6 billion Kilometers

Psyche could very well hold the very same materials as you would find in the center of the earth, it is estimated it might be a failed protoplanet.

On board are 3 Danish made instruments.
Sounds like you are doing nearly everytihing, there are only 4 instruments onboard!

And the USSR designed the spacecraft thrusters!

Being launched by one of those big rockets with 27 engines, developed by that South African guy who likes plenty of redundancy.

Well if you want it done right ;)

BTW in retrospect of the world situation in general, the Danish government have bought its ammo producing factory back, and plan to start up production again, maybe in a few years Danish soldiers can get more than 5 shot at the firing range every month.
CUZ we been low on ammo since long before Ukraine.

South African guy not familiar with cascading failure it seem. :)

South African guy not familiar with cascading failure it seem. :)
He sorted that problem, the next big Starship Booster has been fitted with a CO2 fire extinguisher system for the engine bay!

the Danish government have bought its ammo producing factory back, and plan to start up production again,
Sounds an easy job for your bullets, we have some Storm Shadows to replace!
And I heard that the USA ripped up its production lines for ATACMS, so they wont be producing any more.

Yeah the Yanks are moving on to better stuff, which i cant blame them.
I wholehearted think after this we Danes and the Ukrainians should get together and make some awesome missiles, with a longer range than the Israeli ones we just gotten ( cannons and missils to replace the mobile artillery we gave Ukraine )
I think they know how to make rockets, and we Danes i am sure can whip up a nice guidance kit for them, using Galileo we can hit the key hole on Putins front door.

If they dont know to make rockets, well we have Copenhagen suborbitals to lean on :LOL:
Clearly we should have missiles that have a range of at least 1000 KM, and maybe we can take a few MRV off the Americans hands, just so people know we are serious.

We use to be big on celestial navigation, i think when the Apollo missions started the Americans came here for the most accurate data.
Maybe we can thank Tycho Brahe for doing the leg work for us in the old days.

It will be many years before we will know if its a success or a bust.

The fact that it could be worth 10 quintillion dollars.

That's it, I'm going there. Need the money.

The fact that it could be worth 10 quintillion dollars.

That's it, I'm going there. Need the money.
It is only worth that if you can transport it back to Earth, it is currently worth nothing in its present location!

It is only worth that if you can transport it back to Earth, it is currently worth nothing in its present location!
Perhaps we can band together and share in the profits :D

Launching tomorrow if things go as planned,
Scrubbed for today, try again tomorrow with a 50% chance, seems to be a minor storm.

So you boys want to be modern day Mansa Musa ?

Ill tale a little Au too.

But as you are supposed to stake your claim, and we will be the first to take a selfie there, that must be as good as a stake these days.

Maybe more spectacular is a new video from SpaceX showing their new Starship disappearing into hyperspace:

Maybe more spectacular is a new video from SpaceX showing their new Starship disappearing into hyperspace:

The new video from SpaceX showcasing their Starship disappearing into hyperspace is truly mesmerizing! Thank you for sharing the link!

The starship do give me the Saturn 5 vibe, even if the Saturn 5 was just measly 5 F1 engines.
As a child of the 60ties the Saturn 5 of course have a special place in my heart, but decency of course dictate that i must tip my hat to the Space X boys and girls.

The starship do give me the Saturn 5 vibe, even if the Saturn 5 was just measly 5 F1 engines.
As a child of the 60ties the Saturn 5 of course have a special place in my heart, but decency of course dictate that i must tip my hat to the Space X boys and girls.
Saturn V could get 15 tonnes to the surface of the moon, Starship was to designed to get 100 tonnes to the surface of Mars, and I think it is around 150 tonnes now?

A Saturn V lunar landing cost around $4 billion, inflation adjusted, while a Starship Mars landing is expected to be about $10 million.

This is going to change things in the same way as the change from horse power to steam power.

Flight 3 is scheduled for Thursday, hopefully not disappearing into hyperspace this time...

No, would like to see a successfully launch this time.
I especially look forward to one of those landing.
The dual booster landings of the heavy also quite nice to see.

So we will see airplanes staggered ar different altitudes of the launch trajectory, with a guy hanging out the window waving a red flag.
Warning newfangled contraption coming :)

So we will see airplanes staggered ar different altitudes of the launch trajectory, with a guy hanging out the window waving a red flag.
Warning newfangled contraption coming :)
We have the StarLink internet these days, they have already issued the notifications to mariners and aviators to warn them about the launch and landing sites and times.

Red block on map: https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_6507.html

Back