Need CPL filter badly

makeitrain

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got the new A810 yesterday. A few glitches:

Put it in my Tesla. Holy moly it needs a CPL filter badly. The flare and reflection from the Model Y are windshield is really bad. I hope they release the filter soon!

Just got the new A810 yesterday. A few glitches:

Put it in my Tesla. Holy moly it needs a CPL filter badly. The flare and reflection from the Model Y are windshield is really bad. I hope they release the filter soon!
In the interim you could go the DIY route as some have done before manufacturers started providing them.

Using a matte finish black dash mat could help as well.

That sounds like an ok idea but now I have to spend more money…. Two.. the glare is coming from the A pillar it seems as well… the a pillar in the Tesla is beige.

70mai manufacturer has released the CPL designed for A810, the model is ACC-CPL2, you can contact the seller on AliExpress to buy this accessory.
Why such a strange shape? Does anyone have any ideas?

150 degree wide lens. Since lens is recessed behind the glass/plastic housing, round filter that far from the lens probably caused significant vignetting in the corners. It basically follows 16:9 format. Look how top and bottom do not matter and practically cover 1mm of the lens housing.

BTW, instructions on the box are hilarious. How are you supposed to "rotate the outer ring" when it has none (and it's shape is not circular)?

You do not need to rotate it, because maximum efficiency from glare and reflection in the position as in the photo. The manufacturer applied a label on top in the form of a triangle.

150 degree wide lens. Since lens is recessed behind the glass/plastic housing, round filter that far from the lens probably caused significant vignetting in the corners. It basically follows 16:9 format. Look how top and bottom do not matter and practically cover 1mm of the lens housing.

You raise an interesting question. At first glance it would seem logical to expect that a CPL filter that covers part of the top and bottom of the lens bezel would cause some vignetting but in practice that might not be the case. I'd be very curious to see some footage taken with this CPL.

Every lens projects a cone of light onto the surface of the sensor called the "Circle of Coverage" or the "Circle of Illumination". The projected circle needs to be significantly larger than the sensor to prevent vignetting and depending on how the lens is matched to the size of the sensor it can create a telephoto effect if the sensor is smaller.

So, it is likely that the engineers designed the CPL knowing that any vignetting would be outside the boundaries of the sensor area even if the oval shaped CPL is blocking some portions of the image circle since it will accommodate the 16:9 format of the image frame.

Here is a graphic I created several years ago to illustrate how the Circle of Coverage works in relationship with two different sized sensors.

image_circle.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't get in touch with 70mai's technical engineers, so this question cannot be answered, and for sales people, you can never get a correct answer from them.

BTW, instructions on the box are hilarious. How are you supposed to "rotate the outer ring" when it has none (and it's shape is not circular)?
It is easy enough to rotate the outer ring, until the camera is mounted to the glass, so make sure that you have it adjusted correctly before mounting the camera!

It basically follows 16:9 format.
Correct, and since it is a filter rather than a lens, this shape will work perfectly.

Could be to avoid hitting the windscreen?

It is easy enough to rotate the outer ring, until the camera is mounted to the glass, so make sure that you have it adjusted correctly before mounting the camera!
Have you looked the the posted picture of supposed CPL? It has no outer ring and it is not round. How is pictured it is fixed and it cannot move. Why are such instructions given is a mystery.

They probably just copy pasted the text from the ACC-CPL lol

You can message AliExpress seller Shop3671048 for the CPL filter, he didn't list the item in his store. I was asking him about the filter but have not pulled the trigger yet as I'm still looking for comparison video with and without the filter. My A810 recordings currently without the filter actually looks fine.

You can message AliExpress seller Shop3671048 for the CPL filter, he didn't list the item in his store. I was asking him about the filter but have not pulled the trigger yet as I'm still looking for comparison video with and without the filter. My A810 recordings currently without the filter actually looks fine.
Thanks for the info, contacted seller so we'll see what they say. Previously purchased CPL's for my 70mai A800S & Omni from same seller... The one installed on my Omni worked wonders so super happy with that.

As per 70mai A810 launch group, those are testing samples and are not supposed to be for sale yet (or made public lol)

As per 70mai A810 launch group, those are testing samples and are not supposed to be for sale yet (or made public lol)
Well I was able to snag one for $32.91 CAD w/same design as the one shown in this thread, so we'll see... Stock is supposedly limited with only two left now.

That's kind of expensive, I saw the round one sold on an Indian and Polish website, maybe I'll wait a bit

And this one on Taobao

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q A810 8
Back