Read/Write Speeds for A810 for Buying SD Card?

bluelightspirit

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't find anything online on the read/write speed the SD card needs for the A810. Does anyone know if you're supposed to go for U3 + V30, or V60, or V90, and if it will make a different or not as faster speeds mean less frames drop? I intend to use the rear and front camera. I see in several manuals of dash cameras made by 70mai that the minimum is Class10 speed, but that is not useful info.

Welcome to the forum bluelightspirit.

Dont 70mai have any recommended cards ?
They should have CUZ it would suck to buy several cards in a row that do not work,,,,,, trust me i did that with three 256GB cards last year, well that is they did not work in my viofo A220 duo system, in other and my action camera they worked fine.

The cards i have so far are all U3 / V30 cards, i have like 10 or 12 256 GB cards to test with

I can't find anything online on the read/write speed the SD card needs for the A810. Does anyone know if you're supposed to go for U3 + V30, or V60, or V90, and if it will make a different or not as faster speeds mean less frames drop? I intend to use the rear and front camera. I see in several manuals of dash cameras made by 70mai that the minimum is Class10 speed, but that is not useful info.

From the 70mai web site:

Dash cam supports microSD card with a minimum capacity of 32GB and a read/write speed of U3 (UHS-3) and above.

The A810 is not compatible with the Sandisk Max Endurance 256G and can be formatted, but it stops working after 1 second of recording.
The Samsung Pro Endurance 128G & 256G works well without any issues.

TF.jpg

How, on Earth, did they manage that?!?

Just tested with 512GB card and it's no go (Samsung EVO and PRO cards). It's perpetually trying to format it. I know specs call for max 256GB, but I thought I would try it.

Just tested with 512GB card and it's no go (Samsung EVO and PRO cards). It's perpetually trying to format it. I know specs call for max 256GB, but I thought I would try it.
Did you try to format to FAT32 on windows first?

Of course, using fat32format. The moment you stick such formatted card in A810 it says that it needs to reformat card, and then it gets into endless loop "format + restart".
What I didn't try was format on Windows and pre-create all the folders that A810 creates during formatting process. Maybe, just maybe, it would recognize it, but, as I said, I didn't try that.
I was hoping I can use 512GB during upcoming trip where I will be driving 800km/day across multiple countries and not need to make backup each day/night. 512Gb should be able to keep 20+ hours. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Presumably you can repartition it as 256GB and still use it at half capacity.

Perhaps, but for that I have 256GB endurance cards.

The A810 is not compatible with the Sandisk Max Endurance 256G and can be formatted, but it stops working after 1 second of recording.
The Samsung Pro Endurance 128G & 256G works well without any issues.

View attachment 66917
I don’t like Samsung cards :/
Sandisk was my main driver for a lot of time.
Wonder if the Sandisk will be supported with firmware update.

What's not to like? The Samsung Pro Endurance are rated to last longer than the Sandisk High Endurance, here it's 5 years warranty vs 2, but Max Endurance should last the longest

I
What's not to like? The Samsung Pro Endurance are rated to last longer than the Sandisk High Endurance, here it's 5 years warranty vs 2, but Max Endurance should last the longest
Just had bad experience with them.
I have Max Endurance 256GB
I need to change to Samsung Pro Endurance for the A810 ?

Of course, using fat32format. The moment you stick such formatted card in A810 it says that it needs to reformat card, and then it gets into endless loop "format + restart".
What I didn't try was format on Windows and pre-create all the folders that A810 creates during formatting process. Maybe, just maybe, it would recognize it, but, as I said, I didn't try that.
I was hoping I can use 512GB during upcoming trip where I will be driving 800km/day across multiple countries and not need to make backup each day/night. 512Gb should be able to keep 20+ hours. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
Can you delete the partition from your memory card and insert it into the A810 and format it? This method worked with large volume cards on the previous model A800s. Please check.

In that case maybe the 512GB card is partitioned with GPT instead of MBR

Can you delete the partition from your memory card and insert it into the A810 and format it? This method worked with large volume cards on the previous model A800s. Please check.

Good idea! When I let camera format card without partition it finishes formatting and it starts recording. I let it record for 10 minutes, and everything looks OK. Unfortunately, once camera restarts (either by cutting power or I turn it off and then on again) it wants to format card again. Every time.
If I take card out of the camera and plug it into Windows, Windows shows the message that card is corrupt and that I should check it.
In any case, it goes further than before, but still valid for only one run.

In that case maybe the 512GB card is partitioned with GPT instead of MBR

Possible. When I deleted partition and let the camera create it, it is MBR type.

Went back to 256GB Endurance card. Did final testing before trip. When saving 2 channels with high compression, you can fit 14 hours of video. I guess that's best case scenario since cameras were stationary so image could be compressed better. I would expect somewhere around 12 hours or less when installed in the car and moving. Camera reserves 20GB of free space for saved clips, events and such. Much better than 58% someone mentioned.

58% was the figures in the A800s as per 4pda forum where they have decompiled and made firmware mods to change the allocation.
Maybe 70mai tweaked those numbers.

But tbh, it really isn't needed, parking and events should just be overwriting (oldest) normal recordings if the card is full

But tbh, it really isn't needed, parking and events should just be overwriting (oldest) normal recordings if the card is full
The problem with that approach is if parking/event recordings never get overwritten and instead will overwrite normal recordings at some point the card will become full of protected files and nothing can be written. Now for sure, the protected files should be reviewed and dealt with on a regular basis but human nature being what it is (out of sight, out of mind) that's not going to happen except for those of us who tend to be a bit OCD about such things.

Back