Country
United States
Dash Cam
SJ8 Pro, Rexing V1P Max, Dome D201, Xiaomi Yi
V1P SE (4k front and 1080p rear) review

Overall quality for front camera: 4 out of 5
Overall quality for rear camera: 1.5 out of 5

Samples: https://mega.nz/folder/PvwRQLRT#ijJ8xso7JrWirz1PQCxduw

I received the Rexing V1P SE front and rear camera free thanks to @Sam_Rexing . Amazon currently (2024-05-09) lists it for $160 and there is a $28 coupon.

The V1P SE front and rear camera kit included two CPL filters and a Kingston 64GB U3 microSD card. I tested the front camera with the included CPL and my existing SanDisk Endurance U3 microSD. I tested the rear camera without the CPL since my rear window is tinted and would probably create distortion (moire patterns) with the CPL. I installed the extra CPL on my older model Rexing V1P Max front camera and it fit perfectly on it too. Currently (2024-05-09) there is no newer firmware on the RexingUSA web site (https://www.rexingusa.com/support/firmware/v1p-se-firmware/).

The cameras record using the H265 codec for front and rear.
Audio records using AAC codec in stereo and with a sample rate of 32KHz.

The V1P SE front camera supports 4K with HEVC (H265) at 30 fps but only when not recording with the rear camera; with the rear camera recording, the 4K is limited to 24 fps (and the rear will record at 24 fps). The front camera records decent quality during the day and night. License plates can get washed out by sunlight depending on the angle and time of day; other brand cameras have similar issue. License plates are often hard to read when 20 feet or more away; compared to 30 feet away from footage from my GoPro 12 Black mounted on a helmet. Street signs are usually readable with the front camera during the day time.

At night, the front camera video seems to be better than the older V1P Max. The camera does not have options for spot, center, or average light. The camera could be improved in auto light adjustment. Illuminated street signs and license plates are often unreadable with the front camera at night.

Only 3 resolutions are available for front and rear:
2160p 24fps + 1080p 24fps
1440p 30fps + 1080p 30fps
1080p 30fps + 1080p 30fps
You can also disable the rear recording while the rear camera is plugged in so that you can go back to recording with the front camera only at one of these resolutions:
2160p 30fps
1440p 30fps
1080p 60fps

I was hoping the camera would have 1440p 60fps. I prefer 1440p 30fps + 1080p 30fps over the 24fps mode since I think 24fps is not very smooth. Unfortunately, I don’t have a sample in the 24fps mode and my car is in the shop and I won’t get it back for a few weeks.

There are no settings to set the quality or bitrate of the video.

The front camera includes a 12V 2.0A car adapter to mini USB. I was able to use the camera with my own old micro USB cable with the USB Type A end plugged into my multi-port adapter (supports 2.4A) and did not have issues. The package includes two 3M double sided tape for the front mount and two front mounts apparently for two vehicles. The front mount allows for you to slide the camera into position to align it. The camera lens can be angled up/down/left/right a few degrees in each direction and can rotate a little bit. The front mount is secure to the window and does not cause vibration or shaking in the camera recording.

The loop recording only has three options: 1, 2, or 3 minutes. It would be nice if it had higher values.
The parking monitor feature requires hardwire kit and shows a warning about it. You can confirm it and then pick No or Yes. I didn’t have a hardwire kit to test.

Pressing MIC cycles through display modes for front, rear, picture in picture (front big and rear small or rear big and front small). Holding the MIC button will toggle mute/enable microphone. The audio recording quality is average; I think it is better than the V1P Max. I can hear my car engine/exhaust and voices within the cabin. Music from the car stereo is still audible.

Powering on the front camera will play loud chime music. It takes about 5 seconds to start recording after supplying power. Powering off has a different short chime that is not as loud.

GPS is built inside the front camera. The GPS coordinates and vehicle speed are in the recorded video. The GPS vehicle speed lags by two or three seconds which seems typical. There is no way to disable the GPS.

The rear camera records low quality video and/or out of focus which does not look like 1080p. Note that my car’s rear window has a dark tint (20%). The V1P SE rear camera is better than the V1P Max rear camera which was horrible. The daytime video quality is similar to the first GoPro Hero HD which came out over 12 years ago. License plates and street names are too difficult to read. I haven’t tested night time quality. The rear camera is just good enough in case you have an accident so you can see where vehicles or pedestrians came from.

The rear camera of the V1P SE has much better adjustability than the rear camera that came with the V1P Max. I was able to mount this on the rear window and adjust it level to the ground. The V1P SE rear camera has a different plug than the V1P Max so I had to rewire the rear camera when replacing it. The new wire has a plug similar to an audio cable whereas the older V1P Max rear camera had a mini USB cable to plug into the front camera.

I didn’t bother using the included cable clips with double sided tape since based on my experience with the V1P Max they could be weak; I used leftover third-party cable clips with double sided tape which I knew would hold up to hot weather.

When browsing the folder where the video files are stored, the date modified of the files do not match the time of the video watermark. The date modified of the files is the seven hours earlier than the video timestamp watermark. The timestamp watermark appears correct and will use the adjusted time zone's time. So in California at 10 PM Pacific Daylight Time and the time zone in the camera is set to Los Angeles, and Daylight Savings time is On in the options, the recording will show 10 PM and the file names will be named with the correct date and time but the date modified will show 3 PM. There is a bug in the firmware where sometimes the filename is not in the correct order of the video but the date modified is correct.

I didn’t test the Emergency button. I only briefly tested the G-Force Sensitivity at my desk before installing the camera. The camera does not beep when it records emergency file (due to G sensor shock). I set the G-Force Sensitivity off when I put the camera in my car because my experience with other cameras is that they usually record unnecessarily over a bump on the road.

If the microSD card is not inserted and the camera turns on, it will display a message about "insert SD card" for two seconds and then disappear. The camera never makes an audible noise about it and the camera will stay on. When I insert the microSD card (which I already formatted with camera), then the camera turns off and stays off even though power is still supplied. I have to unplug and plug the power cable to turn it on again.

The supercapacitor is good to have instead of a Lithium battery that could expand under hot weather. I have not tested the camera in hot weather too much other than while driving. I have not noticed any missing videos or cut off videos while using the camera with my 256 GB SanDisk Endurance micro SD.

The camera can format the microSD card and this format is compatible with Linux and Windows.

I did not test the V1P SE camera with the Rexing Connect app for Android.

In the options, screensaver mode has a few timer options to turn off the screen.
One new option is called "Speed date Screensaver" which is not explained in the instruction manual. I tried this option and after 1 minute or recording video, the screen will change to show only your current speed, time, and date in large font on the screen. I don't know how long it shows it; the screen might stay on indefinitely which might be bad if the LCD screen ever gets burned in with the date or leading zero from the speed.

Attachments

• sun appears as black dot.jpg
    sun appears as black dot.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 4
  • motorcycle license plate readable when close.png
    motorcycle license plate readable when close.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • license plate readable at 12 feet.png
    license plate readable at 12 feet.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • license plate blurry at 20 feet.png
    license plate blurry at 20 feet.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • some file names are saved with incorrect timestamp in the file name.png
    some file names are saved with incorrect timestamp in the file name.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 4
It takes about 5 seconds to start recording

Thanks for the review.
Boot up time seems quick which can only be a good thing.

What does the unit look like?

The camera can format the microSD card and this format is compatible with Linux and Windows.
What format does it use?
Speed date Screensaver
I really like this idea.
screen might stay on indefinitely which might be bad if the LCD screen ever gets burned in with the date or leading zero from the speed.

It's the screen an oled? This type of screen is susceptible to burn in but lcd screens don't have this problem.

Cheers.

Thanks for the review.
Boot up time seems quick which can only be a good thing.

What does the unit look like?

What format does it use?

I really like this idea.

It's the screen an oled? This type of screen is susceptible to burn in but lcd screens don't have this problem.

Cheers.
I uploaded the product photos in the Mega link along with the sample videos. The forum doesn't allow webp image format.
The V1P SE is smaller than the V1P Max.
I think the screen is LCD since the viewing angles are not great. LCD can still have burn in.

Excellent write up.
Congrats to @Sam_Rexing for finally getting one past the goalie. Lol

1.) What are the image sensors, (front & rear)?
2.) What is the processor / chipset?
3.) What are the Normal Recording Bitrates (front & rear)?
4.) Does it support HDR?
5.) Does it have Voice Commands & Voice Notifications?
6.) Does it have Dual Band Wi-Fi 2.4GHz & 5GHz?
7.) What is the files size for a 1 Minute clip from the front camera in 4K30fps, (rear camera not connected)?
8.) How long does it take to download that same 1 Minute clip (4K30fps) to iPhone & Android device using the APP?
9.) Can you give us a short list of Pros & Cons?
10.) What improvements should be made for the next generation model?
11.) What is the FCC ID number?
12.) It says it has IR Lights, (is that a misprint)?

IR Lights .jpg

13.) Can you give us a 10% Off Promo Code for Amazon US?
14.) Why is the included SD Card an aftermarket Kingston, instead of a Rexing Branded card.
This is a missed opportunity on the their part because there are only two dash cam manufacturers in the world that are members of the SD Association, (Rexing, Thinkware);

Included Kingston SD Card .png
Rexing 512GB $60 .png
Rexing Inc .png
Thinkware .png

15.) Will this camera be added to @Mtz List of Shame Fake 4K cameras?
-Chuck

Attachments

• $132 .png
    $132 .png
    134.1 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the review, but I believe this is yet another fake 4K dashcam with no HDR in a bulky package.
Tell us how you really feel.
I at least waited for my 15th question to breech this topic. lol

Excellent write up.
Congrats to @Sam_Rexing for finally getting one past the goalie. Lol

1.) What are the image sensors, (front & rear)?
2.) What is the processor / chipset?
3.) What are the Normal Recording Bitrates (front & rear)?
4.) Does it support HDR?
5.) Does it have Voice Commands & Voice Notifications?
6.) Does it have Dual Band Wi-Fi 2.4GHz & 5GHz?
7.) What is the files size for a 1 Minute clip from the front camera in 4K30fps, (rear camera not connected)?
8.) How long does it take to download that same 1 Minute clip (4K30fps) to iPhone & Android device using the APP?
9.) Can you give us a short list of Pros & Cons?
10.) What improvements should be made for the next generation model?
11.) What is the FCC ID number?
12.) It says it has IR Lights, (is that a misprint)?

View attachment 72299

13.) Can you give us a 10% Off Promo Code for Amazon US?
14.) Why is the included SD Card an aftermarket Kingston, instead of a Rexing Branded card.
This is a missed opportunity on the their part because there are only two dash cam manufacturers in the world that are members of the SD Association, (Rexing, Thinkware);

View attachment 72300
View attachment 72301
View attachment 72302
View attachment 72303

15.) Will this camera be added to @Mtz List of Shame Fake 4K cameras?
-Chuck
Gee shot the messenger.
Fcc # lol

Since when did this site require experts to do reviews?

You forgot a very important point how does this sit in the price bracket for what it offers or doesn't offer.

Thanks for the review, but I believe this is yet another fake 4K dashcam with no HDR in a bulky package.
I'm curious why you say that.
Have you tested this unit and found something?

What method do you use to prove fake claims? Again just curious.

Thanks.

1.) What are the image sensors, (front & rear)? The microSD card will have a folder called Novatek so I assume it uses Novatek sensors but I don't know which models.
2.) What is the processor / chipset? Not sure.
3.) What are the Normal Recording Bitrates (front & rear)? From my sample vids, it appears the Front is 24-25 Mbps in 4k 30 fps. About 25-30 Mbps in 1440p 30fps. Rear is 8-9 Mbps in 1080p 30fps
4.) Does it support HDR? Not sure if you mean HDR for TV but the V1P SE supports WDR (wide dynamic range) so nighttime recording is good. I think a lot of dashcams say HDR in place of WDR. My product photos on the Mega link shows all the menu options.
5.) Does it have Voice Commands & Voice Notifications? No
6.) Does it have Dual Band Wi-Fi 2.4GHz & 5GHz? Not sure
7.) What is the files size for a 1 Minute clip from the front camera in 4K30fps, (rear camera not connected)? about 175-200 MB
8.) How long does it take to download that same 1 Minute clip (4K30fps) to iPhone & Android device using the APP? Not sure
9.) Can you give us a short list of Pros & Cons? Costs less than Viofo but you get less quality
10.) What improvements should be made for the next generation model? Maybe make it easier to upgrade from old model by using same wires (or make wires more modular) so I don't have to re-hide the wires in the car.
11.) What is the FCC ID number? 2AW5W-V1PGW. This is in the product photo but upside down and the first number is a little hard to read.
12.) It says it has IR Lights, (is that a misprint)? I don't think it has IR lights.

Gee shot the messenger.
I’m not shooting the messenger at all.
In fact I applaud @benjos effort, we need more testers / reviewers like him.
The questions I asked are basic in nature, that any prospective consumer would want to know.
Fcc # lol
The FCC ID will reveal internal photos of the image sensor, processor, etc.
Why are you laughing? lol
Since when did this site require experts to do reviews?
I’m am the last person to be ever considered an “expert”.
I’m an average consumer that doesn’t even own a Windows PC. lol
You forgot a very important point how does this sit in the price bracket for what it offers or doesn't offer.
Of course any dash cam is better than no dash.
In 2024 any dash cam that does not have STARVIS 2 & HDR is a “bad investment” when you can get an A119 Mini 2 for $99.
Especially since the Rexing V1P SE is already misrepresenting in it’s own advertising.

The fake 4K thing was more prevalent 5 years ago.
I'm curious why you say that.
Have you tested this unit and found something?

What method do you use to prove fake claims? Again just curious.

Thanks.
The fake 4K thing was more prevalent 5 years ago. Back then some companies had products with inferior processors and would upscale the resolution and/or double the same frames to increase frame rate (from 15 fps to 30 fps but the video would still feel choppy like 15 fps even though the software you play it in will say 30 fps).
I think the V1P SE has decent 4K. Similar to my old SJ Cam SJ8 Pro. I bought a GoPro 12 Black for $350 and it is higher quality than the V1P SE and SJ Cam 8 Pro. I bought the SJ Cam SJ8 Pro new for about $440 back in March 2018.

My personal preference is to have better quality (which usually means spending more money or researching and then buying a camera that allows modified firmware with higher bitrates). I like the Viofo models over this Rexing model mainly for the quality. I use a A119 Mini as a rear camera in another car (and I moved the old Rexing V1P Max) to the front of that car. And another car I have has Viofo A129 Plus Duo for front and rear; I also had to pay extra for the CPL and I don't think their CPL worked very well but it was better than not having it. Rexing's advantage compared to Viofo is only on price. The CPL that came with this Rexing camera is actually pretty good in getting rid of most reflections.

I’m not shooting the messenger at all.
In fact I applaud @benjos effort, we need more testers / reviewers like him.
The questions I asked are basic in nature, that any prospective consumer would want to know.
I guess I read it as being very blunt the way you posted the questions. I hadn't checked how long @benjos has been a member which make a big difference.
I was using my phone to reply. I prefer using my computer.
The FCC ID will reveal internal photos of the image sensor, processor, etc.
Why are you laughing? lol
Remembering what I said in the previous sentence about how long benjos has been a member I still have trouble finding the fcc id info. I laugh because while it is nice to have it doesn't make it less of a review.
I’m an average consumer that doesn’t even own a Windows PC. lol
Ok Mr average how many people do you know that places A4 sheets of paper on their wall to test their new dashcam and then share it with the world? That's meant to be a compliment.
Of course any dash cam is better than no dash.
I agree. Any dashcam THAT'S RELIABLE is better then no dash.
In 2024 any dash cam that does not have STARVIS 2 & HDR is a “bad investment”
How do you know/ prove that the seller doesn't make claims that they use these but is also fake/lying information? Pull the dashcam apart?
While it helps the consumer with the selection process IMO I don't think those two items are necessary to make a good dashcam.
If Clear HDR worked on the processors used in dashcams then I might have had a different view.

High speed processors and or better written firmware is required before images are going to improve when in inclement/storm weather/night driving dashcams.

The fake 4K thing was more prevalent 5 years ago.

The fake 4K thing was more prevalent 5 years ago. Back then some companies had products with inferior processors and would upscale the resolution and/or double the same frames to increase frame rate (from 15 fps to 30 fps but the video would still feel choppy like 15 fps even though the software you play it in will say 30 fps).
I think the V1P SE has decent 4K. Similar to my old SJ Cam SJ8 Pro. I bought a GoPro 12 Black for $350 and it is higher quality than the V1P SE and SJ Cam 8 Pro. I bought the SJ Cam SJ8 Pro new for about $440 back in March 2018.
If it's an IMX335 it's definitely not 4k. IMX415 Starvis Gen 1 is 4K so that's really the only other possibility here, but considering Rexing seems to be releasing the same cameras with
I guess I read it as being very blunt the way you posted the questions. I hadn't checked how long @benjos has been a member which make a big difference.
I was using my phone to reply. I prefer using my computer.

Remembering what I said in the previous sentence about how long benjos has been a member I still have trouble finding the fcc id info. I laugh because while it is nice to have it doesn't make it less of a review.

Ok Mr average how many people do you know that places A4 sheets of paper on their wall to test their new dashcam and then share it with the world? That's meant to be a compliment.

I agree. Any dashcam THAT'S RELIABLE is better then no dash.

How do you know/ prove that the seller doesn't make claims that they use these but is also fake/lying information? Pull the dashcam apart?
While it helps the consumer with the selection process IMO I don't think those two items are necessary to make a good dashcam.
If Clear HDR worked on the processors used in dashcams then I might have had a different view.

High speed processors and or better written firmware is required before images are going to improve when in inclement/storm weather/night driving dashcams.
Kudos to the OG reviewer for having a crack and answering the questions here.

I can see why Chuck would question Rexing though, because although they may have been ok a few years back, in 2024 their offerings are far from competitive. Unless we're talking 70mai, Vantrue, Viofo, Blackvue, Thinkware etc. Which explains why a bunch of us have turned down Rexing's offer to review their dashcams.

Anyone is open to reviewing any old dashcam here, but the status quo is to educate buyers into making an informed decision. The fact that there's Starvis 2 solutions that are going on the relatively cheap side now, is testament to how far the market has moved.

The fact that there's Starvis 2 solutions that are going on the relatively cheap side now, is testament to how far the market has moved.
Correct.
But you forgot to add STARVIS 2 + HDR.
STARVIS 2 without HDR is almost useless at night, (I'm looking at you Thinkware U3000). lol

If it's an IMX335 it's definitely not 4k. IMX415 Starvis Gen 1 is 4K so that's really the only other possibility here, but considering Rexing seems to be releasing the same cameras with

Kudos to the OG reviewer for having a crack and answering the questions here.

I can see why Chuck would question Rexing though, because although they may have been ok a few years back, in 2024 their offerings are far from competitive. Unless we're talking 70mai, Vantrue, Viofo, Blackvue, Thinkware etc. Which explains why a bunch of us have turned down Rexing's offer to review their dashcams.

Anyone is open to reviewing any old dashcam here, but the status quo is to educate buyers into making an informed decision. The fact that there's Starvis 2 solutions that are going on the relatively cheap side now, is testament to how far the market has moved.

I was approached by rexing and like other companies that have approached me they then go quiet which really annoys me.
Chuck raised all good points which I'll try to remember when I do my next review.
Dashcam producers all make claims that stretch the truth. Me being so literal means I have to pull myself back from posting all the things I see that are "not true"

I remember trying to work out what to buy with my first dashcam. It is important it does what it says it does but I found it difficult to navigate this.
The lying doesn't help to make a correct decision.

With this review I thought it was a new release but found on the fcc site that it was first released in 2021!
I don't know if Vortex is saying that this rexing is fake or is it because he looked at an old release?

Either way it doesn't help that the company advertises lies.

I was approached by rexing and like other companies that have approached me they then go quiet which really annoys me.
Chuck raised all good points which I'll try to remember when I do my next review.
Dashcam producers all make claims that stretch the truth. Me being so literal means I have to pull myself back from posting all the things I see that are "not true"

I remember trying to work out what to buy with my first dashcam. It is important it does what it says it does but I found it difficult to navigate this.
The lying doesn't help to make a correct decision.

With this review I thought it was a new release but found on the fcc site that it was first released in 2021!
I don't know if Vortex is saying that this rexing is fake or is it because he looked at an old release?

Either way it doesn't help that the company advertises lies.
Ariel (Vortex) knows what he's talking about. I don't think he looks at FCC listings for the incorrect dash cameras. The Rexing line has had various iterations of the same old camera, released under SE, P this V that - so honestly wouldn't surprise me if it's the same sensor from years ago but they've hobbled the rest together like wifi etc. haven't had time right now to have a proper look at the FCC databases...

When reviewing, it is a tough line to tow. I have a list usually when I review cameras and there's a lot more positives and a lot more negatives, than what I finally write in my review. I could go to town bashing a company, but you have to consider it in the grand scheme of things. My nitpickings might be for a power user and not the common day man. Or a bug that's so inconsequential in the bigger picture, that why am I complaining about it.

Overall, there's nothing wrong with asking questions. I think most of the people here on DCT hold dashcams to a higher standard than what is on YouTube (minus our members YouTube channels of courses) because we do technical deep dives and want the best for the customer. We also have our debates on here with each other, because some of us know more about a product or testing than the other. But it's for the greater good of the buying customer. It's not superficial glossing-over like a lot of tech YouTube channels do these days, in chase of more views or free stuff.

LMAO
The only reason I made that stupid test pattern is because ever since 2019 I knew the manufacturer claimed FOV specifications were false & misleading but, I wasn’t smart enough to prove it.
So it started with a simple yardstick on the wall.
Then we had a string of out of focus issues across all manufacturers, Viofo, Vantrue, BlackVue so I came up with that background to help me check focus indoors, before I check focus outdoors.
I don’t understand what you mean?
Could you rephrase that.
I’d like to answer.
Here’s how the FCC ID# kind of works.
Usually the first 5 alpha numeric digits is the “Grantee Code” that identifies the manufacturer.
Then a dash -
Everything after the dash refers to the model / device.
Once a full FCC ID# is established with the first model of a product, subsequent models that have been “upgraded” with new components / features still use the original FCC ID#
For example the FCC ID# for the very first Viofo A129 Duo (2018) is 2AMBW-A129 (2018-07-03).
As you know we’ve had several models in the A129 Series;
A129 Duo 1080p
A129 Pro 4K
A129 Plus 2K
A129 Plus eMMC
A129 Plus IR
They all share the same FCC ID #
So the FCC ID# for the Rexing V1P SE (2AW5W-V1PGW) is for the first model when the application was filed on 2021-12-06.
It looks like there have been 2, or 3 model upgrades since the original model.

Back